April 9, 2021

Saturday 9: The Bones

The Bones (2019)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) They lyrics compare a relationship to a house, saying that despite superficial problems like peeling paint or broken glass, the foundation can still be solid and strong. What home improvement project is next on your list?  I'm still waiting for Tim to be able to take some vacation time so we can remodel our master bath and turn it into a powder room/laundry room. We are going to buy the beadboard for the walls today. With that, we will have all the major bits and pieces to do it. We just need time.

2) Maren Morris sings that she knows she and her lover can face any storm. Are you afraid of thunder and lightening?  Not usually, but I'm not stupid, either. I know when it's safe to enjoy it and when to seek shelter.

3) The video for this song shows Maren and her husband, singer/songwriter Ryan Hurd, on the beach in Maui. Would you rather go for a long walk along a beach or a hike in the woods?  Definitely, the beach!
 
4) "The Bones" won Morris and her collaborators (Jimmy Robbins and Laura Veltz) the 2020 CMA "Song of the Year" Award. Here's your chance to pat yourself on the back. What's something you have done well lately? (Go ahead. We want to hear about it!)  I think the thing I've done the best at this year is being there for everyone else. There's been a lot asked of me with all of our daughter's health issues, watching the grands a lot of the time, Mom having her knee replaced, Tim having a kidney stone...for a while there I felt like it was never going to end, but things are starting to move toward normal. 

5) The song was also nominated for a Grammy for Best Country Song. For the awards show last month, Maren put a lot of work into her look, including lightening her hair and lipstick and reshaping her brows. She was surprised when saw on social media that people confused her with reality star Khloe Kardashian. How long does it take you to prepare to face the world (on an average day, not for an internationally telecast awards show)?  About 5 minutes. I'm not working so some soap and water, brushing and flossing, and a brush through my hair pretty much covers it.
 
6) Experimenting with hair and makeup comes naturally to Maren. Her parents have owned the same hair salon for decades. She and her sister played there as children and took turns working the reception desk when they were in high school. Do you have a hair appointment scheduled?  No. I just got my hair colored a couple of weeks ago.
 
7) Mom and Dad do not go out of their way to play Maren's songs in their salon. They don't want to "bombard" clients with her music, just because she's their daughter. But, if one of Maren's songs happens to come on, they are naturally very proud. Where were you the last time you had to listen to someone else's choice of music? (Bank, doctor's office, friend's car, etc.) Did you enjoy it, or did you wish you could change the station?  That's easy...anywhere our daughter and her kids are. She has felt the music choices are all hers for as long as I can remember. The only concession she makes to anyone else's tastes (without a bit of grumbling) is to play what the kiddos like. I usually like her choices, the problem comes in that she always has the volume cranked pretty high or that sometimes she changes what I'm listening to or turns off what I'm watching without asking.
 
8) Maren says her favorite foods are tacos and tortillas. When did you most recently eat Mexican food?  A couple of weeks ago when my Bible study group had a taco bar before we looked at the lesson.

9) Random question: What do you call that thing in your living room? Is it a sofa, couch, or a davenport?  I don't live that far from Pittsburgh and some Pittsburghese makes it into our vocabulary. Around here, we sit on the "caach."


Thanks for joining in the fun today. Link up or find more blogs to read here.

28 comments:

  1. Fun post. Glad to hear that things are smoothing out for your family. HAve a good weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 -- I now go days without makeup and quit wearing my watch and rings because I didn't want to gunk them up with hand sanitizer. When the world goes back to normal, it will be a shock to morning routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for sure! Having to wear real pants is going to be a shock, too. I've lived in jeggings, leggings, and sweats for over a year now.

      Delete
  3. That was a fun post. I enjoyed your answers especially the "caach". I once had Allegheny County Pennsylvania relatives and that made me giggle remembering. My Florida Native MIL says "Settee" for a couch. Kinda cute that. I'm a Florida Native too but say "sofa".
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in Florida I would amaze people who came into the store where I was working. I'd hear them talk for about 2 seconds and ask if they were from Pittsburgh. They'd always wonder how I knew. They never thought they had an accent. Now we do recognize it here, but we've become so blended with people moving in from other areas that when you do hear someone with a true Pittsburghese accent, it's as obvious as hillbilly!

      Delete
  4. Here its cow-ch. LOL---that would be my southern midwestern twang. LOL---Have a great day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually say it your way, but my mom's people were from up near the PA/NY border and the accents different there. I'm probably a blend of both. I say "crick" when I mean creek, but I don't rhyme root with foot.

      Delete
  5. Oh I love that Pittsburgh accent, one of my best friends is originally from Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I always think it makes us sound like a bunch of hillbillies!

      Delete
  6. I used to fly out to Pittsburg all the time before I retired, our corporate headquarters was in Monroeville. One time I got to fly out on the corporate jet, once in a lifetime experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I've been inside a private jet, but never flown in one. That would be an amazing way to travel. I'm on the same side of Pittsburgh as Monroeville, just further out. I think they say my town is about 45 miles from downtown Pittsburgh.

      Delete
  7. Josh finds a lot of peace in his music. He typically stays in his room though and listens.
    When we start summer vacation...I will not be wearing make-up either. It doesn't take me long to get ready then either. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like Josh and Megan have another thing in common. Megan didn't ever stay in her room to listen, but music definitely helps her process things. She has a big half-sleeve tattoo of an old-fashioned microphone with roses and the saying "Music saved my soul."

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stacy:
    I enjoyed your answers.
    I would like to see your new powder room/laundry room when it is finished, take pictures.
    Glad things are starting to move toward normal for you.
    I don't fool with makeup unless I am going somewhere and then it's not very much.
    Have a good Saturday.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be sure to share pictures of the re-do...when my hubby ever gets the time off to work on it. We bought some more of the things we need today.

      Delete
  10. Wow... another bathroom reno. You are a brave woman! Can't wait to see how it all turns out! I am so glad life is settling down a bit for you with your daughter feeling better and hubby feeling better. Praise God!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or nuts? I'm not sure, myself. LOL We have all the stuff we can get (some things you just can't get right now or the cost is through the roof so I've changed my ideas) for now. We just need for Tim to be able to take some vacation time.

      Delete
  11. I would be annoyed with someone turning off my music or whatnot. But when I'm with others, I usually have low volume so it's background sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm not listening to something else or watching TV, I can live with it, because we do like the same kinds of music. She's been overriding the radio/CD/digital/whatever since she was a little kid. I'm annoyed often enough, but I don't think she's going to change at this point.

      Delete
  12. Bathroom renos are tough. I thought we'd never get ours finished when we did it 7 years ago. Took forever! Hope yours goes much faster than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last one we did (and just finished last spring) drug out for over 3 years! Moods were not good here at the end. I've made death threats if this one even begins before he has vacation time to get it done in one shot.

      Delete
  13. I want a new walk in shower in the main bath. We don't use that tub, but need a patio cover first....hot out there in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took out the tub in our main bath and put in a walk-in shower. Now we're taking the tub out of the master. Tim can't get in and out of the tub to soak without a lot of effort and I've always been a shower person. Yeah, I'd vote for the patio covering first in your shoes.

      Delete
  14. I'm so envious of your (and Terri's) effortless morning routines! Like others have said, I'm happy all the demands on your time are lessening. I guess we never know what we're capable of, but I doubt I could be as gracious. (Jus' saying ... lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I imagine you would be quite gracious! I can't imagine you any other way. :)

      Delete
  15. That is nice that your husband can do the work in the bathroom. Glad to hear your daughter and mom are doing better! We ate at a Southwest place today and they had a tortilla machine and brought up fresh hot flour tortillas with butter. We also had salmon, fresh beans and rice. The chips and salsa were great too! I start my healthy eating on Monday. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am trying to imagine how you say couch in Pittsburgh. My dad and grandparents were from Pittsburgh (Crafton) and they definitely had some ways of saying things, but that one I don't remember. I remember my Dad saying "davenport" sometimes. Here it is either a couch or a sofa interchangeably. My other PA relatives say "youins" a lot. Do "youins" say "youins"? LOL. I enjoyed your post, and I hope you get that bathroom done soon. Will it have a shower in it, or just a powder room with your laundry? So, then , will you have to use the other bathroom for showers? Believe it or not, we have TWO bathrooms in our master bedroom. One has a shower, potty, sink. The other has a garden tub, potty, sink. I use the one with the tub, but I take my showers in the other because we can't afford the water for the tub since we are on city water. LOL. And I am a shower person. I would like to turn the tub into another big walk in shower someday when I hit the lotto. LOL. But the to do list is too long with too many other priorities first. I am glad your Mom and daughter are feeling better these days. I know that helps YOU a lot!! Take care of yourself now and do something YOU enjoy!! Blessings to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes