July 9, 2020

Thankful Thursday

Man, it's a hot one. Like 7-inches from the mid-day sun.


Linking up this morning with Rebecca Jo @ Knit By God's Hand for the the most positive thing happening on the internet these days...Thankful Thursday!

This week I am thankful... 

** (can't say it often enough in this heat) for good air conditioning. How the heck did we survive back in the days when hardly anyone but businesses had it?

** for a fun night of tacos, fellowship, and prayer with my Bible study group. Some just got back in town from vacations, many are going to be gone next week. So we just got together to catch up, chat, and offer up prayers for everything that's going on.

** the sports injury clinic was able to fit me in for an appointment this week if I didn't mind seeing the PA. I didn't. The good news is that there isn't anything major or unfixable wrong with my leg. I have a severly inflamed IT band (a thick bundle of "fibers" that runs from the hip to the outside of the knee and hooks on to the top of the shin bone). X-rays showed slight arthritis in the lower spine (knew that) and hip (didn't know, but figured since I seem to have it everywhere) and moderate arthritis in the knee (good news that there isn't anything worse going on there).

I start physical therapy to try and loosen up the IT band on Friday and they gave me a prescription for a topical pain cream. If pt doesn't help the other option will be steroid shots in the hip.

** for an unexpected lunch out with Megan, the kiddos, my sister-in-law, a niece, and her kids yesterday...and my sister-in-law kindly picked up the tab. So nice of her! We don't get together with Tim's family much so it was nice to see some of them.

** that the news' reporting of restaurants and bars being closed down again in our county starting today, seems to have been false. Neither the governor nor the secretary of health as said anything. Not sure why the news reported it as being so, but talk about throwing the business community into an uproar! It may come yet, but it will come with a timetable and clear plan...not just a deadline. I hope the news outlets have learned a lesson, but I won't hold my breath.

** we've had rain, glorious rain, two days in a row! Tuesday we had a couple of hours of good steady rain and last night we got one good dump. We still need more. Everything is so dang dry. Everyone's yards are brown and crunchy. We are ripe for forest or field fires to start, but so far we have been blessed...especially with all the folks who set off their own fireworks on the 4th.

** that when it rained on Tuesday we didn't get the same storms that hit on the other side of Pittsburgh. One area got upwards of 5 inches of rain in just a couple of hours! Flash floods were a big problem.

** to have been able to picnic with my mom, stepdad, Megan and her family on the 4th. It sure didn't feel like normal with everything cancelled, our son's family away, and the oppresive heat...but it was good that we were together and enjoyed a meal of steak, taco salad, grilled potatoes and onions, and a red, white and blue dessert I made.

** to Mom and John for buying the steaks for everyone.

** for the joy spending time with Colton and Leah brings me. Many reasons contributed to us not having close relationships with our other two grandchildren and that makes me sad, but what I now have with these two is a precious gift that I cannot thank the Lord for often enough. 

** we live in an area that is largely unaffected by the ugliness we see happening on the news or read about on social media. When I get tired of hearing it or seeing it, I can just turn off the electronics and escape. I did that for most of yesterday and felt the better for it.

** for the blessing and priviledge of being born an American. For all her faults, this is still the best country, the country with the most freedoms, the country with the most opportunities.

** for a loving, forgiving, merciful God who is always and will always be in control of what is going on in this world. 

** as always, for each on of you!

19 comments:

  1. Amen to what you are saying, Stacy...for the most part, our area is unaffected by the hate/ugliness going on...although the mayor did allow BLM protest but no July 4 activities....anyhoo, hotter than you know what here too...I am just ready for fall. sigh. P.S. My mil lives without ac-and there are no ac's around to buy. Every store is out.

    Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...yeah, I guess we did have a BLM protest here, too. I totally forgot about it. I think it was less than 50 people and nobody really paid attention.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear it doesnt sound too bad for your arthritis - at least something that can be helped & no surgery on things. Its tough getting older, isn't it???
    I think the news is a WHOLE other topic. Ricky & I were just talking this weekend how nice it was in the "good ole days" to have a half hour in the morning/afternoon/evening & that was it. This overload is crazy with it - & then, what channel do you believe? The news has definitely lost a lot of creditability

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the news is on an endless loop and it's just all the same bad stuff over and over. I get tired of it.

      Delete
  3. Looks like lots to be thankful for! Glad you won't have to have surgery, hope the PT helps. Arthritis sucks, I have it too, and of course it's getting worse with age. I have no idea how we lived without AC back in the day, but I do remember it from when I was a kid. I recall flipping my pillow to the cool side all through the night, had to be miserable. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "cool" side of the pillow...I remember that! LOL
      Yes, arthritis sucks. For the most part mine isn't bad, but I suppose that's coming since every time I have anything x-rayed they tell me there's some in there. I'll just count myself blessed that it's OA and not RA like my grandfather had. He was pretty crippled up with it by the time he was in his 40's.

      Delete
  4. Glad you will be able to get therapy for your pains. Hope it helps. Any news on the pool? That would be good for you too! Which side of Pittsburgh are you on? Just wondering. My dad grew up in Crafton. I don't remember much about it. We lived in Clarion until I was almost 6, then we moved to Florida, so I don't have a lot of memories from up there except for a few vacations back. In my genealogical research I am discovering that my adopted grandma came from a huge family in PA. Would love to connect with some descendants, but can't seem to get any response. Oh well, I guess since that was 125 years ago no one seems much interested in discovering new relatives. LOL. Have a blessed week and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many goodies here! Argh on the fake media messing with people's minds. 'Glad to know you're staying on top of those issues with your leg. Like my mother I, too, have been diagnosed with osteoporosis and arthritis in my lower back and hip ... and ya, this humidity doesn't help. Praying that the PT and pain cream combine to give you some much-needed relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cream did help, I think. I slept through the night and didn't wake up for the pain, anyway. My mom and grandmother were diagnosed with osteoporosis...I hope I will escape it, but since I have degenerative disk disease and the family arthritis, what are the odds?

      Delete
  6. Hi Stacy, I hope the PT works for you. It helped me a lot when I hurt my shoulder. I have osteoporosis but not to bad. It is the muscle loss I am more worried about. I really need to exercise and I miss the gym. Enjoy the rest off your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the muscles is very important as we age...I'm not doing too well with that at the moment, either.

      Delete
  7. A great thankful list, Stacy!! I'm so glad you had a good lunch out with family! Glad you are getting some therapy for your leg pain and hope that does the trick! We are SO thankful for AC. I grew up without it in Ohio but can't imagine not having it here in Florida! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For one thing, I don't remember it getting as hot and humid when we were growing up as it does now. A day of mid-80's was a HOT one. Upper 80's seems to be the summer norm the last few years.

      Delete
  8. Great 'thankfuls' today. My ladies group have met once during this turmoil, then decided we should wait a while until we meet again because the virus numbers starting rising here in Texas. I will be very thankful when this is all over and this nasty virus goes away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are on the rise again here in PA, too, but for now we are still meeting. We aren't a very big group and we are women and some of the husbands. For now we are going to keep meeting as we consider ourselves family.

      Delete
  9. Grand kids are so special, I'm sorry you don't have a relationship with some of yours. You are the 3rd person I've heard of recently who is walking that path. I truly believe the enemy is working over time during this pandemic to destroy our nation and our families. But God! We know He wins in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I just keep praying for all of them. And you are right...I know so many whose adult children have rejected them and their way of life. It's heartbreaking that the enemy is having this much success.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes