August 5, 2020

Getting Schooled by the Hodgepodge

Sorry I'm a bit late getting around to the Hodgepodge this week. I've got all kinds of excuses...

  1. The temperature has cooled off a good bit and it was so cool and lovely for sleeping last night that I actually slept like a log and did not want to get up this morning.
  2. When I did get up I had to go get blood work done. I'm meeting with the weight loss doctor tomorrow and I had completely forgotten to get it done.
  3. Next I had to go to an electrical supply company to get the right plug for the pool pump. They gave us the wrong one with our package. Big surprise.
  4. Then I no sooner got home and our daughter called and asked if she could bring the dog over for a trial run (we're keeping her this weekend while they go to the beach) with my Poodle. It went...okay, at best.
  5. Finally, when our daughter came to get the dog she brought the kids and left them here so she could take a nap. I might still have them except the little one was stinking us out of the house and there were no wipes in the diaper bag.


Anyway, I'm late, but I'm linking up with Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond for the Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1.  What's happening where you live in terms of schools opening? How do you feel about it?  Oh gosh, I think they are all over the board with what they are going to do. Some are going to stay completely online. Some are opening with social distancing in place. Others, including the district we live in, are opening with a combination of the two. All of them are basically telling parents "if you don't like it, you can home-school." The state athletic organization said fall sports can take place, just no spectators. The regional organization said no fall sports. I don't know how that will play out in the end. Since we don't have kids in school, basically all it's meant to us is that our taxes went up again.

2. What's something you still do 'old school'?  I wear a watch (at least when I'm at work) and I rarely see anyone doing that these days. I'd rather call than text. I write letters. I send thank you notes. I actually return RSVP's. I show my elders respect whether they've "earned it" or not. I respect the President whether I agree with him or not. I still reach for the dictionary when I need to know how to spell something or what a word means. I read magazines. I think in general I am old school.

3. August 4th is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Will you/did you celebrate by baking a batch? Eating a batch? Nuts or no nuts? Homemade or store bought? Soft and chewy or do you prefer your cookie to snap when you bite into it?  I had no idea so no chocolate chip cookies were enjoyed. I prefer mine homemade, soft, and with no nuts. Quite frankly, only the original recipe Nestle Toll House Cookies will do.

4. What are you starved for?  Somewhere to go other than the store.

5. Anything new and interesting on your August calendar? What is one thing you're looking forward to this month?
  Can't think of anything much. The pool is finally up so we should get to swim in it tomorrow or the next day if it's warm enough. Oh, and my birthday is on the 15th.


6.  Insert your own random thought here.  This shutdown of everything continues to be a worry. Our son-in-law spent last night at work standing by a machine that wasn't even working because there is no work coming in. He might be getting laid off again, which is a big worry with two little ones and a mortgage payment hanging over their heads. There really must be a way to safely restart the economy. Praying our elected representatives stop bickering and start finding solutions soon.

9 comments:

  1. Sure sounds like you had quite the busy morning! Glad you still played along, better late than never. I agree with you on the school situation - it's basically just mass confusion everywhere right now. I hope you enjoy your new pool. Sending prayers for your son in law. Enjoy the rest of the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to your last thought, Stacy. Keeping in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, you have had quite the morning.
      I loved all of your answers, especially #6.
      I wear my watch whenever I go out somewhere.
      Glad you got the right pump for the pool plug
      so you can enjoy your pool.
      Hope your son-in-law finds work soon!
      Have a good evening.

      Delete
  4. The economy. Yikes! Yes there must be ways forward. On the bright side schools in other countries have opened without huge spikes so that's positive. I'm fairly old school too. I wear a watch but am pretty sure anyone under 30 just uses their phone. I feel undressed without my watch. American Dirt. I thought the book was so well written. You forget it's fiction and it's pretty intense. The plot is around a hot button topic (immigration), but the story is told really well. Made me think. Not change my mind about people obeying the law, but man there's a lot to think about in there. The characters are well drawn. I have not read Hillbilly Elegy but have it on my list. Hope all goes well at the doc!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a day! Love what you said about showing respect - both to others and the office of the President. Well, that and knowing you still send handwritten thank-you notes. I used to hate it when I'd ask my parents about a word and they'd say, "Look it up." Thank goodness for Alexa and Google Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did have quite the day! And I pray for your son in law and his job situation. Yes, I do hope they can get past the bickering and put Americans first. Yes, you are delightfully "old school". Love to hear that you RSVP and write notes, etc. Those things are becoming a lost art, which is so sad. Technology has taken over our good manners. I've been lax about writing notes, cards, etc., and I am trying to get better at it. I also wear a watch. And I would prefer to hear a voice over looking at a text or email or messenger. But we've gotten lazy there too. Now we hate to answer the phone because there are so many scammers out there. Oh well...loved your post. Praying your pool is ready soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen to your random. This has to end. Joyce gave us another fun Hodgepodge! Praying for your son-in-law's job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy almost-birthday! Loved what you said about respecting your elders and the president whether you agree or not. Respect in general seems to be in very short supply these days. Enjoy your pool!
    Jan
    I still double space too! I can't see to help myself. I prefer real books as well. I don't despise reading on a device, but real books are the best. My version is the New American Standard Bible, though I sometimes look up verses in KJV as well. I'm sorry things are so hard right now.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes