August 7, 2020

My Week in Books

Since I don't really have a Friday routine on the blog, I thought I'd "steal" this idea I saw over at Colletta's Kitchen Sink. Having Fridays being all about books sounds like an idea I can get behind.

Books I Finished:



Reading Now:



From the Cover:

Not far from Aurora, Minnesota (population 3,752), lies an ancient expanse of
great white pines sacred to the Anishinaabe tribe. When an explosion kills
the night watchman at wealthy industrialist Karl Lindstrom's nearby lumber mill,
it's obvious where suspicion will fall. Former sheriff Cork O'Connor agrees
to help investigate, but he has mixed feelings about the case. For one thing, he
is part Anishinaabe. For another, his wife, a lawyer, represents the tribe.

Meanwhile, near Lindstrom's lakeside home, a reclusive shipwreck survivor and
his sidekick are harboring their own resentment of the industrialist. And it soon 
becomes clear to Cork that harmony, both at home and in Aurora, will be
on the back burner for some time.

First Lines:

"And above all things in heaven or on earth, John LePere loved his brother.
It was a love born the moment he watched Billy slide from between
their mother's legs in the tiny house built in the shadow of  Purgatory Ridge."

56% / Page 56:

"Then you tell me what he was doing out here, Ms. O'Connor."

Also Reading Now:



Will Probably Read Next: 


In Another Man's Moccasins, the body of a Vietnamese woman dumped along the Wyoming interstate opens a baffling case for Sheriff Longmire, whose only suspect is a Crow Indian with a troubled past. But things get even stranger when a photograph turns up in the victim’s purse that ties her murder to one from Longmire’s past—a case he tackled as a Marine Corps investigator forty years earlier in Vietnam.

Book Haul:

Purgatory Ridge
Another Man's Moccasins
Dirty, Lazy, Keto
and
a big stack from Goodwill.

Book Blogger Hop:

Q: Do you read books by diverse authors or books with diverse characters (such as LGBT, ethnic minorities, religious minorities, etc)? If yes, do you have any book recommendations? Do you visit indie and/or used bookstores? Also, have you ever worked in any? (submitted by Kristin @ Lukten av Trykksverte)

A: I used to read pretty much anything that came along, but these days I try to filter my reading through the lens of my Christian beliefs. I don't necessarily rule out a book because of swearing (unless it's excessively foul) but I do tend to avoid books that encourage or glorify lifestyles or thinking that is in direct opposition to my faith. As for book stores...I love used book stores! Also anywhere I can buy used books...yard sales, flea markets, library used book sales, etc.

Linking to:










6 comments:

  1. I love this idea and may borrow it for my next post. You are reading some interesting books. That first one sounds especially interesting. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with books, enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always happy to read book reviews from fellow book lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look like good books...of course, our library is STILL CLOSED! Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Dirty, Lazy Keto looks intriguing! Since my 20's I've tried to follow a low-carb (Atkins) lifestyle, but I'm unsure how that and Keto differ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me happy that you get books from Goodwill. I hate parting with my books and when I do, that's where I take them ... hoping and praying they don't just tossed out. This gives me hope that they will find new homes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes