September 11, 2020

Saturday 9: So Emotional

Saturday 9: So Emotional (1987)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Whitney sings that she keeps her lover's photo beside her bed. What's on your bedside table?  A lamp, the alarm clock, and my glasses when I take them off.

2) She's getting frustrated, waiting for the phone to ring. If your phone were to ring right now, who would you expect to be on the other end?  It's 10:45 on Friday evening so it'd either be our daughter or someone with bad news.

3) The video was filmed at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, PA. It seats 6,200. As the nation reopens from Covid19, would you feel comfortable sitting knee-to-knee with a stranger in an arena like this?  I'd probably wear a mask and go.

4) This week's featured artist, Whitney Houston, appeared on the daytime drama As The World Turns. She played herself, performing with Jermaine Jackson at the Miss Cinderella contest in the fictional town of Oakdale. Have you ever been hooked on a soap opera?  All through my teens and until my second child was born I was hooked on Days of Our Lives and Another World. I also liked the short-lived Santa Barbara and Texas.


5) Whitney had a sweet tooth, and her favorite breakfast cereal was Fruity Pebbles. Do you often eat cereal for lunch or dinner?
  No. I like cereal, but I don't eat it very often. My favorites are Chocolate Lucky Charms and Golden Grahams. My husband, on the other hand, could eat cereal or oatmeal for every meal and be fine with it.


6) At Whitney's wedding to Bobby Brown, her bridesmaids all wore lavender dresses and the groomsmen had custom made alligator shoes. Have you ever "stood up" for a friend or relative? If so, do you remember what you wore?  I was a flower girl for both of my mom's sisters. They are twins so I wore the same dress for both weddings...a long navy blue dress that my mom made. It had daisy trim. I've never been a bridesmaid. 

7) In 1987, the year this song was popular, Cher won the Oscar for Moonstruck. Her most famous line was, "Snap out of it!" When you think of Cher, do you first think of her movies, her TV show, or her music?
  The TV show. I loved it when I was a kid.


8) Michael Douglas won the Oscar that year for Wall Street. His most famous line was, "Greed is good." His character goes on to say that, "Greed in all its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of all mankind." Do you agree?  I'm sure greed motivated some of the successful people throughout history, but I'd like to believe it didn't motivate them all.

9) Random question: When you woke up this morning, were you ready to get out of bed? Or do you wish you could have snoozed for a bit longer?  I would have loved to sleep a little longer since I'd been tossing and turning since 4 AM. My body was aching, though, and not cooperating so I ended up giving up and getting up.

Linking up with Crazy Sam & the gang for Saturday 9.

29 comments:

  1. Hey..we could have chatted at 4 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you could not sleep. I have had some sleep problems too. My problem is getting myself to bed at a decent time. Then getting comfortable. If I get 6 hours, I am lucky. I am getting ready to go away for a few days and working on crafts so I did not do Sat 9. I did do a post for Friday on 9/11. Have you been to the NY to see the Freedom 1 Tower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sleep patterns sound like mine. Six hours of sleep is a long stretch for me. Mostly it's the ache of arthritis that keeps me from being comfortable. No, I've never been to Ground Zero. I'd like to see it, but the way NY is right now it will have to wait.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't sleep either. I got up at 5:15 am, but lately that's been pretty much the norm for me. I enjoyed your answers. I wrote a long reply about soap operas on my comment on Terri D's post (Your Friend from Florida), so I won't repeat it here. I see you used the term "hooked" also. Your flower girl dress for your twin aunts sounds so pretty. It's nice they got married close enough together so that you could still wear the same dress! I bet you were cute. I enjoyed the Sonny & Cher show, but don't care for her anymore. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out your soap answer when I pop over to Terri's blog. I think the flower girl dress was probably shorter for the second wedding because it was a year later. People were a lot more economical and reasonable about things back then.

      Delete
  4. I used to looooove The Sonny and Cher Show, and then Cher's solo show. The music! The clothes! The skits! I wonder, though, if it holds up. Some shows from that era (like Welcome Back, Kotter) are just painful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I wish they'd show more of the old variety shows on TV...those were my favorites. I don't think I've ever seen a rerun of The Sonny & Cher Show or Donnie & Marie (another favorite). I did see an episode of The Flip Wilson Show and it did not carry over. I think my vote for the worst at holding up goes to Three's Company. Ugh.

      Delete
  5. It must have been something in the air, no sleep here either. sigh. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something in the air....there should be a filter for that.

      Delete
  6. We all sound like a bunch of insomniacs.Jokingly I created a 3 AM club on Facebook and I have on occasions been joined another Saturday 9er.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must come with age and since we're all in sort of the same ballpark...
      I've also heard sleeplessness is a phenomenon of the whole Covid shutdown.

      Delete
  7. Oh, my, thanks for reminding me. I answered that I was never a bridesmaid, but completely forgot that my sister and I were flower girls for our aunts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry you couldn't sleep. I hate it when I can't sleep. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    I’m Bud (you probably know me) and I launched both Saturday 9 & Sunday Stealing. I’m starting a new one and like you to join us for our premier (http://mmwithjudd.blogspot.com) this week. We will not ask stupid (What are you wearing?) or yes or no ones. It will be 10 questions every week. I’m pleased to let you know that I am partnering with The Queen of Memes, Mimi Lenox on this blog. That’s it. Stay safe & health & healthy.

    Bud

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joe and I both had bad nights last night so I can feel your pain. Fun questions again this Saturday!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about insomnia... I have a Dr. Phone visit next week. Going to definitely ask for something!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally had a good night's sleep! I cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one earlier this week. I had hoped it was going to become a trend, but...

      Delete
  13. It's been forever, but I used to love having a bowl of GrapeNuts for supper. Another
    "Days" fan? My former hubby and I were hooked on that ... ca. the era of Marlena and Roman and Stefano. One of the biggest thrills in my life was getting to spend an afternoon with Joseph Mascolo when he visited Tampa. (My adult crush, yep.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I loved Days...I remember Roman, Marlena and Stefano, of course (I think they are all still around!), but my faves were Bo and Hope and Patch and Kayla.

      Delete
  14. The Carol Burnett show still holds up - I watched reruns of it on Amazon Prime a while back and it is still funny, at least to me. Not sure about other shows, though. I'm a big Trek fan and even the original Star Trek seems cheesy to me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does. We watch Carol now and then. She was so funny! And Tim Conway just kills me. I think Star Trek holds up because it was supposed to be a little cheesy.

      Delete
  15. Im about 25 years older than most of you, so I the TV show from Sonny and Cher wasn't even on the radar for me. I love Cher but sure missed out of the show.
    Sleeping is a real blessing. So few of us seem to get enough of it!
    Hope you get better sleep in this coming week. Enjoy the weekend, Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's too bad. The show was great and the Bob Mackie gowns that Cher wore...wowzers!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes