Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Is rain expected where you are today? I'm answering this on Friday evening and it rained nearly all day here, but tomorrow, Saturday, is expected to be dry. After two days of rain I'm looking forward to it.
2) In this song, Barbra Streisand warns everyone to not spoil her optimistic mood. What is something you're feeling really good about today? Someone is coming to buy my husband's old truck and haul it away. It's been sitting dead in the driveway since last March. I can't wait until it's gone.
3) She sings that life is candy and the sun is a ball of butter. Which have you consumed more recently, candy or butter? I confess it was candy today. I had to try KitKat's new Key Lime Pie flavored candy bar. I was not disappointed. It tasted just like the pie. Maybe not the best pie, but still pie.
4) This song is from the musical Funny Girl. It's based on the true story of Fanny Brice, who starred on Broadway, in movies and on the radio between 1910 and 1951. At the beginning of her career, no one thought she would succeed because of her unconventional looks, but she forged ahead, saying, "I make things happen for me." Are you focused, like Fanny? I can be. Sometimes. About certain things. On the whole I'm pretty distractible.
5) When the stage version of Funny Girl was in pre-production, the part of Fanny was offered to actress Anne Bancroft, but she felt the songs were too difficult for her. Singer Eydie Gorme dropped out when told her husband, Steve Lawrence, could not play the male lead. Carol Burnett said she'd love to do it, but also admitted she thought she was wrong for the role. Running out of time and options, producer Ray Stark decided to give lesser-known Barbra Streisand a try ... and the rest, as they say, is history. Has there ever been a time in your life when you were glad things didn't work out as you'd originally planned? A couple of old boyfriends come to mind.
6) Funny Girl was the top grossing movie of 1968. #2 was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Given the choice, would you rather watch a musical or a sci-fi flick? It's no contest...a musical!
7) Streisand's favorite color is burgundy because it reminds her of when, as a little girl, she received a hand-knitted sweater as a gift and wearing it made her feel special. What color is your favorite sweater? Black. It's a big, oversized, chenille cardigan with big pockets. Sort of my version of the Mr. Rogers sweater. I wore it over everything while I was at home this winter. It's so soft and warm.
8) In 1960, she began performing in New York clubs but she had a hard time getting work because she was only 18 and most nightclubs wouldn't hire a girl not yet old enough to drink. Do you remember your first legal alcoholic beverage? What did you have? I was 20 when I got married here in PA where the legal age was 21. We moved to Florida right after we got married and the legal age there at the time was 19. So no big celebrations for me. I can tell you that the first legal drink was bought in a western themed nightclub in Orlando, but I don't know what it might have been.
9) Random question: How many people know the real you? I think everyone knows the real me, but only a particular part of the real me. I try to just be myself in all things, but one person sees me as a co-worker, another as a fellow Bible study member, another as a cousin. Very few people in life see all of the sides of us. My husband is probably the only person who sees all my sides or at least close to it.
Thanks to Crazy Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and questions!