May 14, 2021

Saturday 9: Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Saturday 9: Don't Get Around Much Anymore (1942)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, our lonely Romeo shares how he amuses himself these days. Which of the activities that he mentions have you most recently enjoyed: playing solitaire, reading a book, or listening to the radio?  Reading a book.


2) The lead singer is tenor Bill Kenny. Which range is your voice: soprano, alto, tenor or bass?  I can't sing worth a lick so I have no idea, for sure. I'd guess alto, but I'll never sing in front of anyone who would know.

3) When Bill was on vacation in Atlantic City, he entered a series of talent contests and won 21 of 22. This led to his first professional booking. Tell us about a vacation of yours that took an unexpected turn.  I can't think of anything. I tend to plan vacations out fairly well.

4) This song was composed by Duke Ellington. He received many honors, including a coin struck in his honor. In 2009, he graced the District of Columbia's commemorative quarter. Do you save coins in a jar or piggy bank?
  A jar.

5) In 1976, Stevie Wonder recorded a tribute to Ellington called "Sir Duke." What's your favorite Stevie Wonder song?  Superstition or You Are the Sunshine of My Life

6) The lyrics were written by Bob Russell. When he began his career, he shared an apartment with future novelist and TV screenwriter Sidney Sheldon. Have you ever tried your hand at writing lyrics, a novel or a screenplay?  We messed around as kids trying to write lyrics and I used to dream about being a novelist, but I didn't pursue either seriously.

7) In 1942, when this record was released, the federal government established a rationing system to conserve crucial supplies for our troops. Sugar was the first food to be rationed, followed by coffee and then meat. If you were around back then, which of those items do you think you'd miss the most?  Definitely meat, then sugar. I wouldn't miss coffee at all. You may send all of mine to the soldiers!

8) Also in 1942, actor/singer Peter Tork was born. Without looking it up, do you know why Peter Tork was famous?  Hey, hey, he's a Monkey!

9) Random question -- Have you ever deliberately lost a game?  Probably playing with a young child, but otherwise, no. I'm sort of competitive.


Thanks to Crazy Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and the questions.

22 comments:

  1. I'm not a coffee drinker either. We have some coins in a jar somewhere too, but don't put coins in it much any more. That used to be our vacation fund. I hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't save much that way, either, these days. We use the debit cards most of the time and rarely have cash in pocket to create change.

      Delete
  2. Your answer to #2 could be mine, and your answer to #8 was mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a meat eater and though I love red meat, I can't eat it often for health reasons. I already have given up caffeine for the most part. There is still time for you to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still time, but there really isn't any desire anymore.

      Delete
  4. I like all of your answers.
    We agree on #2 and #8.
    I also like "You are the sunshine of my life".
    I'm a morning coffee drinker.
    Have a great weekend.

    https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pour my Diet Coke in a mug in the morning so I look all grown up when I drink it. People are cool with you drinking coffee, but not so much Coke. lol
      Have a wonderful weekend, Gloria!

      Delete
  5. Stevie Wonder had so many nice songs. I think my favorite by him was "I Just Called To Say I Love You". The Ink Spots were a good group. My generation had the best music, and clothes, and hair but not good cars. I think that has improved with time.
    I hope everyone is feeling well and happy in your neck of the woods.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...depending on the time frame you are calling your generation I might have to argue the music thing. ;) I'm kinda weird with music. I like all kinds from Benny Goodman to Justin Timberlake, from Christian to (some) rap. Music from the 70's and 80's is at the core of it, though.

      Delete
  6. Some friends are in a writers club and have self-published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I wish I had found something like that years ago. I don't really have the desire to write a book anymore.

      Delete
  7. Thanks Stacy for the many smiles. I hope you have a beautiful wekeend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a coffee fan either. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to think I had a good singing voice until I heard something played back. Yikes!
    This is terribly (politically) incorrect, but ...
    Years ago, after hearing our workplace sing "Happy Birthday", my manager dubbed us the "Down Syndrome Singers."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a vacation planner--I'd rather go with the flow. I make a genral list of what I'd like to do or see then just do those things whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are lucky if we get a vacation, and then hope for the best when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy! Meat was my first pick for #7 too. Happy weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a coffee drinker either. I could live w/o sugar if I had to. I do sing, am an alto. But my voice has changed a lot over the years. I started out as a soprano. We haven't taken too many real vacations in our married lives. Just never had much time or money. We usually had to travel back home to see the grandparents, and that was our vacation. Not very exotic or relaxing, but it was a necessity when you live so far away from them. Now that we are retired we just don't have the money to travel and hubby doesn't really like to drive long distances anymore. So we enjoy short rides around this area and maybe go out to lunch. That is our "vacation". Have a great week!! I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes