March 28, 2020

Saturday 9: Everybody's Somebody's Fool

Joining in the fun today with Crazy Sam
and the rest of the Saturday 9 crew.

Join in the fun here.


Saturday 9: Everybody's Somebody's Fool (1960)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

None of this week's questions mention the corona virus. However, if you want to share how you're feeling about Covid-19 at this extraordinary time, please feel free to do so.

1) Next Wednesday is April Fool's Day. Do you have any pranks planned? Do you expect to fall victim to any April Fool's Day mischief?  No and no. I used to have to keep on my toes when I drove a school bus, because...KIDS! I don't really know anyone outside of that who actually plays pranks these days.

2) When she was a kid, Crazy Sam would fool her mom by putting bubble wrap under the bath map so there would be a POP! when her mother stepped on it. When you encounter bubble wrap, do you always indulge in a pop or two?  Always. When my kids were young I used to buy rolls of bubble wrap at the dollar store and put it in their Christmas stocking just so they could pop it.

3) While we're using this song to celebrate April Fool's Day, it was written about another subject entirely: heartbreak. The lyrics tell us that at some point, we each get our hearts broken by someone who doesn't love us as much as we love them. Do you think that's true?  It's not true if you are lucky enough to find the one who loves you back on the first try.

4) In 1962, this week's featured Connie Francis published a book aimed at teens called For Every Young Heart. It addressed topics like going steady and schoolwork vs. social life. Do you ever read advice columns or self-help books?  I did as a teenager, but I'm not really big on them now. I will read a book about healthy living or one that teaches a skill I want to learn, but I don't read what I think of as "self-help" books.

5) Connie Francis can play the accordion. Sam has never met anyone adept at this complicated instrument -- not even in her high school band. What about you? Do you play the accordion, or do you know anyone who can?  Can I play the....Ha! I can't even play the spoons. We had a neighbor when I was kid who was the leader of an all female polka band. The accordion player was our neighbor's sister so yep, I knew her.

6) In 1960, when this record was popular, Harper Lee's classic To Kill a Mockingbird was published. Have you read it?  I have, but I'm ashamed to say it wasn't until a few years ago. I loved it! I also read the sequel, which painted a much more realistic face on the the times, I think, though I was rather sad it knocked Atticus off his pedestal.

7) Also in 1960, one of Life magazine's best-selling issues had Sophia Loren on the cover. At that time, she was an international film star and considered one of the world's most beautiful women. Who do you consider one of 2020's most beautiful women?  I really don't pay any attention to that kind of thing and don't really know the names of too many of today's actresses and models, so I'm going to take a pass.

8) A 1960 issue of Vogue acknowledged how expensive it had become to maintain a fashionable wardrobe and asked, "If you were to buy only one thing, what would it be?" If it's good enough for Vogue, it's good enough for Saturday 9: If you could purchase only one new article of clothing for spring 2020, what would you buy?  I think I'd go for a lovely, floaty, floral dress that I could dress up with jewelry and a shawl or play down with a jean jacket and sneakers.

9) Random question: When someone makes you really angry, are you more likely to respond with stony silence or a big noise?
  Stoney silence. I may be seething on the inside, but I very rarely let loose with it.

12 comments:

  1. #1 -- I used to have a friend/coworker who looooooved pranks. He'd hide behind doors so when you closed them he'd just be there (shades of Boo Radley). I never could convey to him how truly obnoxious this was. You're right -- pranks are for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit to pulling a few when I was younger, but they mostly just annoy me now.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhh I can teach you how to get that stony silence out (bahwaaaaaa,lolololol). Hey, have a great day friend, pouring rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I do not think we'e had a prank since your daughter left home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bubble wrap in kids' stockings is a great idea! #9? I sure admire your self-control; my facial expressions have always been a give-away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live next to a city with a large Polish population and all their summer concerts are Polka bands

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about #7. I did have someone come to mind though. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Nope. I hold it in, but then I usually just find a way to forgive and move on. Being angry at someone is a waste to me.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes