April 1, 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Springing Forward

Good morning and welcome to April! Happy April Fool's Day if you celebrate it. I do not...it seems to be that in recent years every day is a day for fools. Anyway, I'm linking up with Joyce for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. So glad it's back for a while! You can join in the fun or find links to other participating blogs by clicking the button below.




1. Has spring sprung in your part of the world? How can you tell? Did March come in like a lion where you live? Going out like a lamb or something more ferocious?  

Spring is beginning to show her face here in the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. The grass is that incredible emerald green it only wears in spring and it needs mowed, already! My poor Poodle (she's a tiny toy) is up to her chin, but it's been so wet and rainy lately that we haven't been able to get it cut. Some of the flowers are beginning to bloom and the trees are budding out with dogwoods, magnolias, and redbuds wearing their blossoms proudly. 

March did not come in like a lamb. She came in howling on the wind and bringing snow. She was fickle at best throughout her days and while she gave us a few glorious, teasing days of sunshine and warmth toward the end, she left us, riding out again on howling winds and soaked us with flooding rains.

2. The last thing that caused you to spring to your feet?


My knee and hip don't actually allow me to "spring," but I'd guess something with the grandchildren is what probably made me get up the quickest. The little ones are 3 years and 8 months...those little fingers get into so much!

3. Do you have a spring clean to-do list? What's one chore on the list you've already managed to accomplish? What spring clean chore do you most dread?


I can't say that I really have a spring cleaning list. The need to do a major spring cleaning kind of went away along with coal and oil furnaces, I think. For the most part I just continue with regular cleaning. It is nice, though, to get the windows open in the spring and let the fresh air in.

While not spring cleaning, exactly, I have been chipping away at some long put-off chores during this time of sheltering at home. I've gone through the closets and donated several bags of clothing (I was brutal in thinning the collection this year), I've cleaned and organized the pantry and some of the cupboards, and today we are defrosting and cleaning the big freezer. (Yes, we were going to do it yesterday, but my husband wasn't in the mood...and I didn't really protest.)

4. Tell us something you've learned about yourself or the wider world as a result of social distancing/the virus crisis.


We are not as horrible and hopeless as the news would have us believe at times. I love all the wonderful stories that have been coming out about the kindnesses people have been doing and the creative ways they have found to stay in touch.

5. Something you love that's the color pink? 


Peonies. I love them and can't wait for my neighbor's big patch of them to bloom. They face our house and I probably get to see them and enjoy them more than she does. I'd grow my own, but they don't seem to like our soil.

6. Insert your own random thought here.


My Bible study group "met" for the first time since we've been under lock-down last night via Google chat. Isn't it wonderful that we have all these ways to keep in touch with the people in our lives these days? And so many can continue to work from home because of the technology at our disposal. I'm really not feeling all that isolated because of it. 

I know that's not true of everyone. My husband, for example, doesn't really embrace social media so he is climbing the walls. (Actually, he's taken up residence on the sofa with Netflix becoming his new best friend.) He has seriously lost all motivation. 

My Bible study teacher had a lot to say about the present circumstances last night. He advised us to view this time as a gift from God. A time to deepen our relationship with Him and also with our spouses and any other family that might be living with us. We should take this time to appreciate the world and our blessings in it. We should rest, reflect, recharge.


12 comments:

  1. Slapping my head, forgot about the Hodgepodge, grin. I think it is easy to just "forget" about everything and become a hermit, we were just discussing this yesterday, actually. I so can relate to your husband. I might add, depression is a real thought...and there are some sinister things going on in regards to this shut down. Just my thoughts on this, mind you.

    I really enjoyed your answers...keeping it real. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I agree completely and after today they have a lot more states under stay at home orders. Yes, depression is a real thought. He's battled that before and took meds for a while. He won't look at that possibility...says he's not giving them any reason to take his guns.

      Delete
  2. Good thoughts from your Bible study teacher!

    Blessings, and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to say that I must do some spring cleaning today. I wish I had any type of desire to do any cleaning at all. Dropping in from the AtoZChallenge Master list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Carrie. I just found out about the challenge this morning so my post will be up later.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful message from your Bible study teacher! And I love your response to #4. I keep telling myself not to watch so much news, but then I HAVE to know what's going on. Since relocating/retiring, there's no Spring cleaning on the agenda … I take it a little at a time; more so when company's due. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to keep in touch with my church family during this time too. We have had studies using YouTube channels and Zoom. Emailing and texting also. Many bible teachers have been giving good messages much like yours...to use this time to draw near to God and to share the Good News with others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice from your Bible Study teacher. Oh how I love pink peonies! What a treat to have a bouquet of them. Wonder how much mystery meat you are going to find in that deep freezer?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice from your Bible teacher, I like the three R's, I too am thankful for the technology we have today.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest, reflect and recharge. Yes! It is so great having the Hodgepodge back!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realized I left out the last question so I went back to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise words from your teacher. As is true of most things in life, perspective is everything. I too am so grateful for technology. We are 'gathering' with friends via Zoom along with my weekly Bible Study and our Sunday School class and while it's not perfect, it is certainly great to be able to see one another when we talk. Stay well! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes