May 30, 2020

Saturday 9: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey

Saturday 9: Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (1971)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us Paul believes it's going to rain. How's the weather where you are today?  Cloudy and cooler at only 70 degrees today. We had plenty of rain yesterday and some hail along with it last evening.

2) Paul sings that he is sorry because he hasn't "done a bloody thing all day." What do you hope to accomplish this weekend?  Laundry, choosing exactly where the pool will go so we can tell the install guy when he comes, that's kind of it unless I decide to tackle a bigger project like our bedroom, which is the catch-all room in the house.

3) He also references butter pie, which is made primarily with potatoes (with onions and, of course, butter). That dish is not popular on this side of the Atlantic. Last time you had potatoes, how were they prepared (baked, mashed, hash browned, french fried ...)?  We had baked potatoes Thursday with burgers cooked on the grill for supper.

4) Linda McCartney is credited as co-writer and performer on this recording. Paul and Linda were partners in real life, too; married 29 years, they raised four children together. They often said they tried never to spend more than a few hours apart. Do you enjoy a lot of togetherness, or do you value your personal time? Has your experience with Covid19 and quarantine changed how you feel about this?  I'd say I'm close to 50/50 on the matter, but if it tips more to one than the other, it would be the aloneness. I'm social, but not a social butterfly. Sometimes being with people just takes more effort than I've got in me.

5) Paul and Linda came from very different backgrounds. His family was lower middle class, lived in Liverpool's public housing and received government aid. She grew up in affluent Scarsdale, the daughter of a wealthy theatrical attorney. Do you think it's more important for a couple to share a common background, or to share common interests?  I don't think you can make a blanket statement that applies to everyone. Every relationship is unique and you have to find what works for you. It probably helps, though, to have some common points of reference if the relationship is for the long haul.

6) Paul is known for his work ethic. At age 78, he's still making music and performing live. What's your favorite Paul McCartney song?  





7) In 1971, when this song was a hit, Bobby Fischer was the world's most famous and highest-rated chess player. Do you play chess?  Nope.

8) England's Princess Anne turned 21 in 1971. The occasion was commemorated by a formal portrait, taken by celebrated fashion photographer Norman Parkinson. Who took the most recent photo of you?  Probably my daughter.

9) Random question: Do you find it more satisfying to work with your hands, or your head?  It depends on my mood. I like gardening and creating and writing...but is writing working with your hands or your head? I also find that I'm content with intellectual pursuits.


I'm linked up today with Crazy Sam
for the Saturday 9.

9 comments:

  1. Yep, agree...

    I sure hope the humidity backs off here...the last few days have been unbearable, sigh.

    Hope you have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song.

    When is the pool guy coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly Love Songs always makes me smile. Paul wrote it to answer a critic (Rolling Stone, I think) who dismissed him as only able to write "silly little songs." The song is so much cheerier than just yelling "screw you," and more lucrative, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am super excited about your pool! I wish we were putting one in too! Enjoy! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sometimes being with people just takes more effort than I've got in me." -- Absolutely! Does Colton know about the new pool yet? Exciting times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you guys getting your pool. I know you will keep us in the loop! Silly Love Songs is a cute one. Have a good weekend, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the hail didn't do any damage. Hot here today but not too humid so that's nice. Enjoyed your answers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're having about the same weather.

    I love your song choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like "Silly Love Songs" and have always enjoyed the story behind it that Gal cites above. What better way to get a point across, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes