August 12, 2020

In the Middle of the Wednesday Hodgepodge



It's time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge again so I'm linking up with Joyce @ From This Side of the Pond.

1. August 12th is National Middle Child Day...are you a middle child? If not, where in your family do you fall in terms of birth order? Do you hold true to the typical characteristics of oldest-middle-youngest-only child? (a quick list can be found here) Elaborate.  No, I am an only child and I sort of resemble their description. I am still more comfortable with older adults than people my own age...though that's getting to be less and less the older I get. My husband on the other hand is the exact middle child of 7 and he is the classic forgotten kid and sadly it isn't all his perception of things.

2. Tell us about a time you felt like (or you actually were
) in the middle of nowhere.  I would probably have to say that was the first time I went on a mission trip to the Navajo reservation. We went to a camp that was so far out in the mountains that the people who took us there weren't even sure if we were in New Mexico or Arizona. There was NOTHING out there but us.

3. What's something you're smack in the middle of currently?  Well, I'm not quite smack in the middle, but I'm in it. I'm getting very serious about losing weight. I'm seeing a doctor specially trained in weight loss matters, trying to learn and follow a basically Keto diet, combine that with 16-hour fasting and exercise, and easing my way into a drug therapy that is supposed to help. Monday I felt like I was on top of the world. Yesterday I didn't feel so good. Today remains to be seen. I've been told Keto can make some people feel sick until their bodies hit ketosis. Maybe that's me?

4. What's a food you love to eat that has something delicious in the middle?  Custard filled donuts.

5. Share a memory from your middle school days, or junior high if that's what your school dubbed kids somewhere between grades 6-8.  The sharpest memory from that time is also the saddest. On Labor Day weekend 1978 a local church was celebrating its annual festival. Excitement and attendance was running high because for something special a helicopter was going to drop numbered ping pong balls into the crowd. The numbers corresponded with prizes. At the appointed time the crowd gathered, packing in tightly. The helicopter came into sight and began to fly over the crowd. Suddenly it was caught in an updraft and plunged into the crowd. Eight people died and 18 or more were injured. One of the dead was a teacher at the jr. high. Two were classmates and good friends of mine. In fact, they'd asked me to go with them, but it was one town over and my parents said no to taking me. It changed the town and all of us kids.

6. Insert your own random thought here.  There isn't much going on this week, but Saturday is my mom's and my birthday. I am hoping the weather cooperates so Tim and I can cross the border into Ohio to go to the Shaker Woods craft festival.

17 comments:

  1. I pray you do well with the Keto diet. My brother lost 60 pounds on it. I have a few friends from church on it and they come up with interesting meals. I have to make sure I get enough calcium and vitamin D. That is sad about the helicopter crash. I hope you get good weather for your birthday. We are going to be in the 90's today. Not sure what our plans are. My grand daughter will pick out a place. There is only outdoor eating her in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing lots of good things about Keto. I chose it because you just have to avoid carbs and watch portions. If I had to figure out calories and track them all day....not gonna happen. I have to take large doses of D and B12. I am one of those people who doesn't hang onto D and the fact that it's cloudy so much here doesn't help. I took 50,000 in the beginning twice a week to get it up and now I take 5000 daily to maintain it. I hope you've had a good birthday!

      Delete
  2. oooooooooooo your going to cross the border, I'm telling (lolol). Oh wait, that's just our King and his mandates, LOLOL. Wishing you a very Happy Birthday my friend.

    Good luck on the Keto diet. Hope you have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio isn't one of the states we have to quarantine after visiting so it's "safe" to go. It's going to depend on the weather, though. If it's too hot I'm not going to drive 2 hours to tromp around sweating in the woods.

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot about the Keto diet and have know people who have lost a lot of weight with it, some do say it was rough going at first. That is a horrible story from middle school, so sad. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Thank God your parents didn't let you go. I hope you have a fantastic birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hearing a lot about the "Keto-flu" from other dieters, but the doctor never mentioned it which kind of surprises me. Yes, definitely a good thing they didn't let me go. I talk to classmates who were there and some of them are still dealing with PTSD 40 years later. :(

      Delete
  4. How sad the answer is for #5.
    Happy Birthday for Saturday to you and your Mom!
    I enjoyed your answers.
    Have a great Wednesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a traumatic event. I can't even imagine how that must have affected everyone. I'm sure your weight loss efforts will get easier.
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a trauma to live through, particularly at an age where we're particularly vulnerable. Happy birthday to you and your mom! I hope you get to make that border crossing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a horrid middle-school experience! I don't think they print enough money to compel me to getting in a helicopter. I hope you're feeling a little better today and getting in the 'Keto zone.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like to fly in helicopters. They were flying this one low and in-between buildings...someplace they had no business flying. Especially when the pilot was relatively new and inexperienced. She had her daughter with her who is a year older than me. The daughter walked away. The mom/pilot did not.

      Delete
  8. I gasped at your Jr. High story. How awful. Cheering you on with your keto diet. Keep us posted, Stacy! Happy, happy birthday to you and your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I am feeling better today so we'll see.

      Delete
  9. I'll be crossing several borders this next week including into Ohio!
    I hope you do well on your diet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes