August 7, 2020

Saturday 9: Mad About You

Thanks to Crazy Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and the questions!

Saturday 9: Mad About You (1992)

 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Mad About You was a sitcom that ran from 1992 to 1999. Are you familiar with the show? Were you a fan?  I knew it was on. Everyone knew it was on, I think. It was a huge hit. That said...I never really got into it.

2) The show was rebooted in 2019/2020 on the Spectrum streaming service. Do you have any streaming services? If so, which ones?  Netflix, Hulu Live, and Prime Movies.

3) The series revolved around Manhattan newlyweds Paul and Jamie Buchman. They met at a newsstand, where they were both purchasing The New York Times. With so many publications online, newsstands are now uncommon. When you want to purchase a printed newspaper or magazine, where do you go?  Usually, a convenience store, grocery store, or Walmart.

4) Paul is played by Paul Reiser. He created the series because he believes marriage is a tough but satisfying adventure. He and real-life wife Paula have been married for more than 30 years. They met when she was a waitress at the comedy club where he was performing. Have you ever waited tables?  Nope. 

5) Helen Hunt won four Emmy Awards as Jamie. Over 10 million people watch the Emmys each year. She also won an Oscar, which has an annual viewership of twice that. Therefore huge audiences witnessed Helen's acceptance speeches. Are you comfortable speaking in public?  No, I am not. I get major anxiety about it.

6) During the opening credits, Paul and Jamie are sharing an ice cream bar. When did you most recently have ice cream?
  A couple of weeks ago? I'm not that big on ice cream, but I will make an exception for White House Cherry which is usually only available during the summer.


7) Paul and Jamie's best friends were another couple, Fran and Mark. Eventually Fran and Mark divorced, and Paul and Jamie worked at being friends with both of them. Have you been friends with a couple who split? Did you manage to stay friends with both of them?  No, we don't have any couple friends who are divorced.

8) In 1992, when Paul and Jamie were playing New Yorkers, real New Yorkers were following the trial of mobster John Gotti. Mr. Gotti acquired many nicknames, including The Teflon Don, The Dapper Don and Black John. Is there anyone in your life that you call by a pet name or nickname?  Sure! I tend to give everyone nicknames. I used to call our daughter Megalooch, but rarely use it these days. Colton is Nanny's Boogie Man or Bubby and Leah is Tater Tot.

9) Random question  -- What subject do you wish you knew more about?  All of them!

20 comments:

  1. #8 -- I was at my niece's bridal shower last weekend and slipped and called her "Beckela," which was my nickname for her when she was little. Her coworkers were in stitches. She is REBECCA to them, thankyouverymuch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is Becca, and will strike you down if you call her Becky. But I think she’d be ok with Beccela.

      Delete
    2. I've noticed more and more lately that younger people use their proper name. Like Williams are William, not Will or Bill or Billy.

      Delete
  2. White House Cherry sounds interesting so I googled it... mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your answers, smiles. My dad started calling our son Goober when he was little and it has stuck, all these years. ---come to find out, it was done out of meanness--my son is super smart and that offsets my folks and many people...so they came up with a bad name. But he takes it in stride. He knows we his parents don't mean it meanly like his grandparents do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's so crappy. How can anyone be mean to their own grandkids?

      Delete
  4. I swear I don't remember that show at all, but enjoyed reading your answers. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your nicknames make me smile! When Troy was small I'd call him "Tinker" -- short for Tinker T(r)oy. I don't recall ever having a nickname, but some people tried calling me "Elvira" ... which didn't go over well. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love nicknames. Public speaking gives me anxiety too! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is interesting that (so far) no one likes public speaking, including me! Glad I'm not alone. Fun questions make for fun answers! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe Gal said she didn't mind it and now below you, Kwizgiver said she's okay with it, but that's about it.

      Delete
  8. Be default I am ok with public speaking. Hard to be a teacher and not speak publicly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, it would be pretty bad if you seized up when speaking.

      Delete
  9. You are good with nicknames. My husband calls my nephew Elmo, though I have no idea why. His real name is Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why, but I love the name Elmo. We had a huge old buck rabbit for years that we named Elmo.

      Delete
  10. Never saw that show before. I'm just not really into tv that much. Knicknames, hmmm, our youngest son Scott used to get called "Scooter poo", or "Scotty Milotti". Our son Benton was "Biggie". Matthew was "Magoo". Don't use those names now tho. I got called "Pammy Whammy" a lot. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the nicknames for your sons! Our daughter's first (and absolute worst, as it turned out) boyfriend was a Scott and we called him Scooty-patootie!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes