October 1, 2020

Hanging Around in God's Love

Here I am...and there you are. We're all waiting on me to post something on this first day of "Blogtober" and take the first step on my journey back to old-school blogging. Um, the blank page is a lot more intimidating than I remember it. I haven't used my writing muscle in a while so, be patient with me. It may take a while to get it back in shape.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited. Very excited, actually, about not only this change in blogging but also this season and this time in my life. Even though we've been in kind of a holding pattern for most of this year, I'm feeling like I'm on the edge of something. I can't quite see what it's going to be yet, but it's there...kind of fuzzy and in the distance.

I think a big part of my feeling this way is due to my word for the year. Abide. The Lord gave it to me in John 15:9, 10.

As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in His love. 

Merriam-Webster defines "abide" as: to bear patiently, to endure without yielding, to wait for, to accept without objection, to remain stable or fixed in a state, to continue in a place.

Synonyms include: dwell, hang around, remain, stay, tarry, persist.

To my shame, at the beginning of this year I could not honestly say I was abiding in Jesus's love when faced with that definition. Work had done much to frazzle me and tire me and pull me away from the Lord. I knew it. I just didn't seem to have it in me to do anything about it.

Enter Covid-19 and my quitting my job the day before my state went into a total shutdown. At first, with my husband home, too, it felt like a big old party. We had a lot of fun just hanging out together, watching a lot of Netflix, doing projects around the house, and shaking our heads over what was happening. Then the reality hit home as he was able to return to work after being off just one month, but for the rest of us it dragged on until summer. Even now, nearly 7 months after the shutdown, life is still not back to normal and doesn't show signs of being in any hurry to get there.

When I quit my job the economy was booming and I thought I'd be able to waltz right into another job, one with hours and duties I wanted, without too much trouble. Ha! I sure never imagined I'd still be sitting at home all these months later.

But the truth is, these months have turned out to be a gift for which I am most thankful. I have worked my way through three complete Bible studies on my own, learned a great deal about prayer, faith, and the Holy Spirit, and have gotten into the habit of giving the first 2 hours (sometimes more) of my day to the Lord. In short, I have been learning to abide in His love. To tarry there, to hangout there, to persist in it, and to dwell in it. My relationship with God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit is stronger than it's ever been. My soul is at peace in this upside-down world and my heart is full of joy. I am in awe of how the Lord works even the darkest of times for the good of His children.

This lifting of spirit has also worked into the things of this world. I've signed up for and will begin a certificate course in medical office assisting just as soon as the materials arrive in the mail. I'm hoping to add enough extra skills to land the type of job I want. Who knows...maybe it will lead to moving on to a degree? 

A couple of people have given me funny looks about going to school at my age, 56, but I always remember a letter to Dear Abby from back in the 70's or 80's. A woman, who was in her late 50's or early 60's wanted to go to medical school and become a doctor. Her family was giving her all kinds of grief and telling her it was stupid because by the time she was finished with school, her residency and everything that was required, she'd be close to 80. Dear Abby's response was, "And how old will you be if you don't go to school? Go to school. Do what you enjoy. Follow your dream." I was just a kid when I read that but I have never forgotten it.

Well, would you look at that? We've made it through day one of Blogtober.

Things to be thankful for:

1. Blogging from the heart.

2. Unexpected blessings.

3. The faithfulness of God.

4. Beautiful fall weather.

5. Favor. Yesterday at the Salvation Army store I found a long Anne Klein black, wool coat. For $24.99! It is in perfect condition. 

6. The blessing of so much time to spend with my 2 youngest grandchildren.

7. Peace in uncertain times.

8. Excitement about life and what it holds.

9. Deepening faith and abiding love.

10. No matter what, God's in control.

 

6 comments:

  1. I totally remember that Dear Abby response ... so true! Please keep us posted about that on-line class. What a smoking deal on that Anne Klein coat!

    You know, since reading your last post I can think of little else. Suspect I got sucked into meme games; and unfortunately, fear I've forgotten my authentic voice. White page phobia is real, indeed. Cross fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy - I really admire people who go back to school to learn new things, even when they are "older." You go girl! I think it's great. What a good deal on that coat. You know I also love thrift store. I am loving your new "from the heart" blog posts. I love that you have been able to spend so much time in prayer and study. So important. Have a good day and I will see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Dear Abby response. She is so right. Glad you are pursuing your dream.

    I've really enjoyed your thoughts today. Thank you for stepping out and going back to the old ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Day 1 - it looks like it all came back so naturally my friend!
    I need to do that thankful at the end as well - I like that.
    & you're freaking me out - in my church online zoom womens' bible study (that's a mouthful) the word ABIDE keeps coming up over & over & OVER & OVERRRRR - so when I read it here, I got a good laugh with God

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully written! I can see that God is at work in you, and that is the most important thing you can be doing! I am excited for you to be pursuing further education at this stage in your life. It will open new doors for you and keep your mind and body in shape. I know since I retired my brain is slipping into a kind of lethargy, and that concerns me. I think taking a course is stimulating and healthy, and I wish I could do the same. Yes, God is not finished with you by any means! Keep growing in faith and knowledge, and He will guide you and complete that which He has begun in you. (Philippians 1:6, and Psalm 138:8)

    ReplyDelete
  6. An awesome post, Stacy! Kudos on the great find at Salvation Army! And good for you, getting back to school and going for what you want!! Do keep us posted!! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes