October 6, 2020

It's Looking Like Fall, Y'all!

I've been seeing all these posts of everyone's fall decorations and thought it seemed like a good idea, so today I'm sharing mine.

This is the top shelf of the bookcase in the livingroom. The welcome sign came from the dollar store or somewhere just as glamorous. I've had it for years. The pumpkins are ceramic. I think they came from the dollar store, too. I love them and have used them in so many different ways over the years.


This picture shows another shelf on the bookcase. Those are more of the same ceramic pumpkins. The antler and white bird are from Walmart. The owl was bought at Home Goods back in August. The little framed picture I found at the Salvation Army store last week for $1.99. All the orange foliage is embellished with small orange gravel. I love how it seems to glow.


Even my plant stand gets a touch of autumn.


This little grouping is sitting on top of the pellet stove since it isn't cold enough to use it yet. The flowers, milk can and sign are all from Walmart. The jar and candle were a gift from a friend.


The seasonal valance on the kitchen window. Mom has made me one for every season and holiday. 


A rustic garland tops my great-grandmother's china cupboard. One of these days we'll take a tour of the treasures stored in it. On top you'll see the German whistler my dad brought back from Berlin when he served there in the 50's. The shelf above holds Tim's collection of Budweiser steins.


The top of the bookcase in the kitchen is home to a couple members of my chicken collection and a crock stamped with the name of the township we live in with a fall arrangement that includes pheasant feathers. The fish platter in the background was an auction find.


This arrangement graces the kitchen island.


This is in the livingroom and under the TV, which is mounted on the wall. In the background is my husband's Henry .22 that pays tribute to the armed forces. The ghost pumpkin arrangement is from Walmart. The "fall" garland in the front is from Home Goods and the angel was a Goodwill find. That framed landscape is my daughter's handiwork. She takes absolutely gorgeous landscape photos.


This sweet little arrangement was found at Walmart. The basket is a Longaberger that my mom found at a garage sale.


I found the crow and the candle ring at Home Goods. The candle is from Walmart and is banana/pumpkin bread scented. It smells sooooo good! Myra, you can just barely see some of my Navajo pottery on the shelf underneath.


The wrought iron candle ring was an Amazon find, as were the battery operated tea lights. I decorated it with three leaf garlands from Walmart.


The shelf over the sofa sports another garland of leaves and a few more pieces of Navajo pottery.


This isn't in the house or even at my house, but I had to share. My grandson carved his pumpkin yesterday and was quite pleased with it and himself.


And these two cuties paid me a visit this evening. Look at Leah's face. She doesn't quite trust her brother's driving. When he hit the gas after the picture she grabbed hold and screamed like she was on the biggest roller coaster. 


That's fall here in our cozy little house. It's my favorite time of the year!

**Amended** I didn't exactly join in with the Tuesday 4 this week, but since I see it's all about fall today and asks to see your decorations...I'm going to link up.

And I'm adding the recipe I made last night for Catalina chicken. 

4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup Catalina salad dressing
1/2 cup peach preserves
1 packet Lipton's onion soup mix
1 1/2 TBS. red pepper flakes (I used less so it wasn't quite as spicy)
1 1/2 TBS. corn starch

Grease slow cooker. Place chicken breasts in cooker. Combine dressing, peach preserves, soup mix and red pepper flakes in a bowl and then pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. 
Mix 1 1/2 TBS corn starch with 1 1/2 TBS water and add to sauce in slow cooker. Recover and cook another 15-20 minutes.
Serve over rice.

It was so good! Even with just a little bit of red pepper flakes it had a nice tang to it. Tim loved it and I loved that it was simple.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I enjoyed my time here tonight at your cozy home. I love the valance over the kitchen window. I put up garland over the kitchen window at Christmas and hang gingerbread. I like that candle! Love your little Pumpkins too. I have so many things I have collected over the years. I had a bigger home before this and could spread it out. It was 98 here today but the weather will be dropping in a few days. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you went all out in the photos that you shared. I can't even imagine how much decorating you must have done in your bigger house! It's not that hot here, but it has warmed up a bit this week from last week's highs in the 50's.

      Delete
  2. Hi Stacy: I only decorate for Fall with a
    swag on the front door and a centerpiece on
    my dining room table.
    I enjoyed your pretty pictures.
    Have a great Tuesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do very little for most holidays except fall and Christmas. I used to do more when the kids were young, but now I only bother decorating for the two I really enjoy. Mostly, I just change the valance of the window and the centerpiece on the kitchen island.

      Delete
  3. Hi Stacy! I love your fall decorations. It was also fun to see what books are on your bookshelf. I am nosey when it comes to books. ;-) We also have quite a collection of Great Books, like you have. We got them years ago and they ame in the mail every month. It was so fun to have a peek inside your comfy home. Your grandkids are darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started getting the books in the picture that way, but only did it for a year or so. Now I just pick them up when I find one at a yard sale or used book sale. I usually find one or two a year. I like having the classics on hand and hope that maybe my grandchildren will want to read them someday.

      Delete
  4. LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this post, Stacy!!! Thank you for the smiles. Have a great day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have some great decorations throughout your home! Love seeing them all! And did your grandson do that pumpkin carving himself? That is pretty amazing! Very skillful. I couldn't do that. Your recipe sounds good too. Thank you for sharing with us. It's fun to see what others are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, my daughter carved the pumpkin and she had a stencil to help her out.

      Delete
  6. I just love fall decorations. They just make a home COZY to me!!!
    Your mom makes a valance every season??? Ummm. I'm gonna need to know more. Maybe she can share how she makes it -I can put my new sewing skills to work & do it for my kitchen too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I asked her to make me a Christmas one when we first moved in. She did and made a couple more. Now when I see a fabric I love I buy it and she makes the valance. She has to piece two widths together usually because of how the pattern runs, but other than that she just puts a straight hem on the bottom and a wider pocket hem on the top for the curtain rod to run through. She's only gathered 2 of them at the top to make them "flouncy." I have an island with open shelves and she's also made me simple curtains for the front and sides of it in summery, fall, and Christmas materials.

      Delete
  7. Wow.. great fall decor!! Who is the Louis Lamour fan? My first hubby(who passed away) was a huge fan. Always had a Louis Lamour book in his hands. Wow.. that recipe sounds delicious! Glad you joined in after all. Your post fits right in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father-in-law was the Lamour fan. When he passed away the books went to my husband's brother as the oldest son. When the brother died no one else wanted them. There really aren't any readers in my husband's family. I wasn't terribly fond of my father-in-law, but I do love books and there was no way I was going to let them throw out a beautiful set of leather bound books.

      Delete
  8. So pretty! After looking at everyone's fall decor I feel like a slug for not decorating.
    The chicken recipe sounds wonderful. I think TheHub would love it,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably will. Mine loved it. It was spicy without being too spicy and the chicken was so tender it just fell apart.

      Delete
  9. That recipe sounds delicious and maybe easy enough that I could make it. lol I love all your decorations. I really like the picture you found at the Salvation Army, it's just perfect for where you have it. I also really like the photo of the landscape your daughter took. She's really good.

    You grands are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy. I do like my little orange picture and have never seen another like it. We all try to convince my daughter to take pictures and sell them. She really has a gift for the "money shot" but she doubts herself so much. She has several others I hope she will gift me with one day.

      Delete
  10. I love this collection ... particularly that each has a memory. I never thought about a seasonal kitchen valance; now that's a great gift idea! Tom's practically addicted to Catalina dressing, so this novel recipe sounds like something he'd love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catalina dressing is one of our favorites, too, so when I saw the recipe I knew I had to try it. The combination of sweet and spicy is really good. Yeah, the valances are an easy touch for any holiday.

      Delete
  11. I love all of your decorations! I need to look into changing out my kitchen curtains for seasons. That is so cute! Loved your answers! Enjoy the rest of the week!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the seasonal valance...it's just such an easy way to bring in a holiday.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for that recipe! Your fall decorations are all great, Stacy!! Compared to our house, you have gone all out!! Oh... and those sweet faces!! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall and Christmas are my only "all out" holidays. I hope you guys like the recipe. It was so easy! Yes, those faces have a big hold on my heart!

      Delete
  13. Loving all your fall decor. I am so behind this year, I have very little set out. The chicken recipe sounds yummy, I'm making a copy for my recipe collection.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by Mary! I hope you enjoy the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes