December 8, 2020

Tuesday 4: The Gift of the Magi

Welcome to Tuesday 4 kept up in honor and memory of Toni Taddeo.

Let's talk about gifts this week.

1. Whether it's Christmas, Chanukah or a birthday party nice gifts can be hard to pick out.  Is there a safe go to gift you think will fit anyone?  Not really. My mom always says cash/gift cards are always the right size and color, but I don't like giving them. Though I often agonize over it, I love to give personal gifts that reflect the uniqueness of the recipient and the thought and care put into the choosing. I think it says a lot to the one receiving it about how much they mean to you.

2. Is wrapping a gift a necessary part of the excitement of giving and receiving?  I admit it's beautiful and I like receiving nicely wrapped gifts, but I absolutely loathe wrapping them myself. Fortunately, I believe a pretty gift bag with coordinating tissue and trim is just as special.

3. What gifts given to you did you love the most?  The Christmas before I went off to college as a journalism major my parents gave me an electric typewriter, a very pricey gift for them in those days. I loved the large hexagonal aquarium my hubby gave me when we lived in Florida. I joined a fish of the month club at the local pet store and had a beautiful set up. I loved watching my fishies swimming around.

4. In the O. Henry book The Gift of the Magi, a man sells his pocket watch to buy some beautiful hair  combs  for his wife's long hair  but she has sold her hair to buy him a platinum pocket watch chain.

Have you ever saved long and hard to buy someone a special gift? Would you be okay with a holiday that  didn't include gifts? Would friends and family understand?  I've given special gifts, but I don't know that I've saved all that long or hard to do it. I would be okay with a holiday that didn't include gifts for me...I don't really receive all that many now, just a few meaningful ones. Most of the family would be fine with no gifts. My hubby and my parents always say they don't need anything. "Need" is not the point. I enjoy blessing my loved ones with thoughtful gifts I know they would like or do need. Our son and his wife prefer no gift exchange, though they always accepted what we gave them...just never gave any gifts to anyone. Our daughter and her family love the excitement of gifts and are probably the only ones who would be truly disappointed. I keep threatening to sign us all up to work in the local soup kitchen one of these years. Only our son and daughter-in-law would be upset about that, I think.


If you found these questions fun, you can join in by visiting this site.

9 comments:

  1. I love to give my daughters and my grandson gifts. I don't mind not getting gifts, but they insist on giving us something each year and I really appreciate them. Hubby and I don't typically exchange gifts any more. We bought an indoor smokeless grill and that is our Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun and interesting questions today. I feel much the same as you about gift giving but it is 'the season' and I love giving gifts much more than receiving gifts. We can't be as generous now, in retirement, as we could when we were both working though. I'm with you on gift bags!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its funny how people view the holidays with gifts. I enjoy the ones who are about giving & not receiving.
    An electric typewriter... I remember getting one of those & wearing the ink DOWN in that baby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our family are adults now so we just get money cards for the great grandchildren.
    I enjoyed all of your answers.
    Have a good Tuesday my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember learning to type on an electric typewrite in 7th grade! It was torture! lol I hope you can stop by:

    https://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2020/12/tuesday-4-gift-of-magi-1282020.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the gift bags are beautiful for sure. Everyone has a different view on gifts I think but I think most peoples hearts are in the right place and they love to give and make someone smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so 'see me' in your thought processes! Like you, I've always longed to find the perfect gift ... resulting in gasps of delight. Ha. There's my Hallmark heart acting out again. The last couple years Tom and I've just resorted to buying something for our home and gift cards to the kids. Since his son never acknowledges anything we send (he and the kids' birthdays) Tom's said they're getting the same thing this year as they've given us -- nada. Juvenile, perhaps, but we're soooo done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how it is with our son and his family. When they were here with us, they usually would say thank you, but if you send them anything, no matter how expensive it might be...you'd have no idea if they even got it. Since they aren't speaking to us now, we aren't sending he and his wife anything. For now we will continue to send something to the grands. They are young and it's not their fault their parents are behaving badly.

      Delete
  8. I am totally with you on #1. I really do not like to give gift cards. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes