March 29, 2021

Let's Visit the Dentist! Said No One. Ever.

It's Monday, for sure. I know this because I went to the dentist this morning, right before lunch. It was going to be a quick and easy appointment...just getting fitted with a temporary crown while I wait for the permanent one to come.

My tooth, or what was left of it, had to be reshaped. My dentist is thorough and enthusiastic. It's a good thing you get those bib thingies to wear and sunglasses, because I'm telling you...when he gets going there is water, spit, pieces of filling, tooth dust, and heaven only knows what else flying everywhere! 


Appropriate protective gear for dental work.


Today, just for fun, a piece of the filling got wedged on my tonsil. It wouldn't rinse off with his assistant's hose. No matter how much she blasted it. Have you ever had your tonsils vacuumed? I can now say I have. But, hey, no more chunk of dental goop stuck there.

We did this other fun thing today, something new for me because the assistant said I wasn't in the system before. Hmm...I've been seeing my dentist for at least 10 years. Why am I not in the system? Anyway, this fun new thing was some kind of digital imaging scan. I guess it's supposed to be an improvement over x-rays, but I'm not feeling the love. The lovely assistant puts this wand-thingy in your mouth and rolls it around and over and under and back and forth and up and down and roughly 23,000 other directions to produce a "quick" in the moment of your tooth or teeth. It's big and invasive and involves a massive amount of lip stretching to accommodate it. We did it three different times. I feel something like this...


And then you'd think we'd be done. But, nope. When the dentist looked at the digital picture thingies...he didn't like what he saw. So, off came the temporary crown and it was back to grinding and stuff flying. 

Finally satisfied, he pronounced me done. His lovely assistant stuck the temporary back on, dried me off, and out the door I went. It was only an hour and 15 minutes after I first sat down in the chair.

Rebecca Jo, how did your appointment go? I didn't forget we were in the dental chair together (so to speak) today. I said a prayer for both of us. And maybe a mild cuss word or two.




There's not much else going on for a Monday. Or for Holy Week, for that matter. The sun is shining, but we're back to chilly weather. Only 50 for a high today. Tomorrow they say we'll see 74, but then...winter is coming back for a few days with temps only in the 30s. Yay.

My Bible study meets for class tomorrow night and Friday evening we are having our traditional middle eastern meal (we used to always have it on Maundy Thursday) and a night of games and fellowship. In years past we opened it up to any friends and family we wanted to invite, but since Covid came along we've limited it to the group and spouses if they want to come. Since a few can't be there, we'll only number about 15, I think. We've decided we like it smaller. The preparations and clean up are not so back-breaking and we can relax and enjoy the time.

We will have Easter dinner at our daughter's house, though I will be doing the cooking. I think my mom and stepdad will be there. Mom thinks she will be up to riding around the block in the car and walking into the house. We will see, I guess.



6 comments:

  1. I see the dentist on April 5th. It usually goes okay but I hate x-rays and I think I am due. Yuck. Happy Holy Week to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy. Anything to do with crowns - NOT fun. My last crown last exactly one day. It broke during the night the day after I had it done. That was a thrill. I did get a new one and that has been a few years ago, but I do get dental anxiety every time I go in for a "routine check-up" now. Blessed Holy Week and Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What an experience!!! Now I remember why I don't go to the dentist any oftener than absolutely imperative! I am overdue for a "deep cleaning", but it got cancelled last year, and I am in no hurry because I know it is going to be VERY uncomfortable. And it costs a lot of money too, so I am in no hurry. But I know it is inevitable. I keep praying the Lord will come before I have to go back. LOL. Oh, I do hope your mother will feel up to having Easter dinner with you all. I hope you will have some pleasant spring weather as well...but either way, Christ is Risen, and we can rejoice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That is definitely something I could pray for! My dentist uses sonic cleaning now which is supposed to be better comfort-wise, but I just thought it was uncomfortable in a whole different way. At least our insurance covers it twice a year so I don't have to pay for that out of pocket. Our portion for everything else is bad enough!
      Amen! He is risen indeed!

      Delete
  4. OH GREAT - somethinig else wo worry about now - my tonsils - LOL
    Ricky had to just get a crown on & they DROPPED IT DOWN HIS THROAT - he was able to close his throat off to cough it up... CAN YOU IMAGINE??? That's all I'm going to think about when I get my permanent crown on

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made an appointment to get in to see the dentist one last time -- he's retiring this month -- and then a filling cracked. It's as if my tooth understood the phone call. Anyway, I hope he can fix it in his farewell. And your photo! Oh my! I wonder why anyone *wants* to be a doctor when that is their view of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes