April 28, 2021

Peeking Into the Cupboards

I'm just sitting here relaxing and watching a little television this afternoon, so it seemed like a good time to keep a promise to Pam about sharing the results of the big upheaval and reorganizing of my china cupboard and corner cupboard. 

Come on in!

First up is a view of the corner cupboard. It was a Christmas gift from Tim a few years back. I had seen it in an antiques shop in Holidaysburg, PA and fallen instantly in love. It is massive at 7 ft. tall. It's a good thing it comes apart in the middle.

On the top, the flag from my late father-in-law's casket is displayed in the case my stepdad made for Tim. Also of note up there, a carved wooden pelican that I bought for my dad in Tampa, when Tim and I went there for our first wedding anniversary.

That's Daisy keeping guard. She likes to sit there because she can see the front and the back of the house.


Inside, the top shelf holds some crystal pieces, a few commemorative plates, and the fancy coffee pot that goes with my china. It has never been used.



The two middle shelves display place settings of my china and my paternal grandmother's china, along with smaller serving pieces like gravy boats and butter dishes.


This close up shows my pattern on the right. It is Haviland china. Mom and Dad gave it to us as a wedding gift. It was a premium to be earned at the grocery store back in the 80s. You'd save up so many stamps and then could buy a piece for a discounted price. I don't know how they did it, maybe they got help from others, but we received service for 12 and every single type of dish and every serving piece offered. Even with the discounts it was well over $300. We used to host all the family holidays and used it all the time. Now the holidays are mostly at our daughter's and nobody worries about china any more.

My grandmother's china, on the left, is a pre-war Noritake pattern that is discontinued. I only have bits and pieces of it...8 plates, 3 cups, 5 saucers...that sort of thing. There is a newer pattern that is similar, but not quite the same. Once in a great while I find a piece of the newer one at an auction or estate sale and pick it up if the price isn't too much. Mom and I looked into those companies that promise to replace pieces of old china and if they even have Grandma's pattern, it is very expensive. I'm not willing to put that much into something I don't use. 


The bottom shelf has become the bar. We don't actually drink that much, but we do have a lot of bottles. Go figure. This beautiful sherry decanter and glasses on the silver tray came to me in an odd way. When I was a kid and my dad worked for the Mellon family, they bought us Christmas gifts each year. One year I got all kinds of clothes, but they were the wrong size. Mom took them back, but they were from a children's clothing store and they did not have my size. Since Mom hadn't made the purchase, they wouldn't give her a cash refund, only store credit...which was also good at the sister store, a home decorating shop. Mom bought the decanter and tray as well as two beautiful floral lamps, which I also still have.

Those are some of Tim's awards for work in the background.


The bottom of the cupboard holds all the stacks of other dishes and the large serving pieces. The clear bowl and candle sticks were given to my maternal grandparents when they got married.


Here you can see why I had to get that heavy stuff out of the china cupboard. The cupboard belonged to my great-grandmother, my grandmother had it, and now I have it. It is close to 100 years old. It was never an expensive piece of furniture. I'd imagine it was all my great-grandmother could afford during the depression after her husband died and she had three teenagers to raise. After all these years and much love and use, it has seen better days and is pretty fragile. If it weren't for the sentimental attachment, I would probably get rid of it. I live in fear of it collapsing one day.


Just barely peeping over the top is a ceramic piggy my aunt painted for me when I was first married (there used to be a chicken, too, but she met an untimely end). The wooden thing is a hand-carved lunchbox from Haiti...and if you know anything about Haiti, you know that you do not put food in anything made there. The "drunk" leaning on the lightpost is a German whistler that my dad brought back from Berlin for his mother. If it was working, the lamp would light and he would whistle a tune and move his head. Maybe one day I will find a clockmaker to work on him.


The bottom of the cupboard now holds the box with the good silverware, tablecloths and runners, placemats, kitchen towels, embroidered linens, and a few vintage Santas.


I confess, I didn't even touch the drawer. It holds the biggest assortment of odds and ends...birthday candles, cake decorations, battery candles, replacement Christmas bulbs, etc.


Lots and lots of treasures in the top of the cupboard!


Right next to the walking Jimmy Carter peanut I got when my Civil Air Patrol unit visited Washington, D.C. in 1979, is my maternal grandfather's folding rule and on top of that is the spear head my maternal grandmother found in the backyard after a big rain storm. She took it to an expert once and they told her it was 5000 years old.


This sweet little celluloid horse was the only Christmas gift my Nana, my maternal grandmother, received one year in the 1920s. She was one of 9 children and times were tough on the farm. One of her older brothers worked at a shoe store in town and he spent his own money to buy it for her. It was broken, with one leg glued when she got it. I have babied and treasured it since she gave it to me when I was just a girl. I was so mad at myself a few months ago when it fell out of the cupboard and got a small hole in the hip on the side you can't see. That let me know how brittle it has become. The milk bottle was found at an estate sale and has the name of Tim's great-uncle's dairy on it.


These silly little statues were popular in the 70s and this one was a gift from my Nana. 


My bridal bouquet, our unity candle, and our cake topper. Also there are my wrist corsage and mother's rose and Tim's boutonniere from Megan's wedding, and one of the bells people rang at our son's wedding to get the bride and groom to kiss.


My maternal grandmother's parents, Harvey Emanuel Free and Effa Jannette Free.


The wooden candlestick Tim made in high school wood shop. To the left of it is a stack of wooden bowls and wooden apples. The bottom bowl is an old butter bowl. The others are a salad set Tim brought back from Haiti. Again, good only for display purposes.


Still proudly keeping watch over the whole kit and caboodle after a good 50 years or so, is this green-eyed beauty. He is a postcard sent to my maternal grandmother when she was a little girl. At one time he "meowed" when you shook him, but he's lost his voice. Other than that he is still perfect and will remain tucked into the glass of the cupboard door as long as I'm around to have a say.


There are other "treasures" in the cupboard, but maybe we can visit those on another day.


16 comments:

  1. OH THANK YOU! You shared these just for ME??? Thank you so much. I loved every bit of it! I think my favorite of all is the horse your grandmother received from her brother back when times were so tough. That is a real treasure, and I hope you can hang on to it. I loved all of it. You have some beautiful china...both sets. I know we tend to just use paper nowadays for family gatherings, but once in a while we just need to use the good china and make our kids/family feel special...even if they DO have to wash it by hand! My mother was a stickler for using good china for birthdays and holidays. I feel guilty now when I use paper, and I apologize to her in heaven. LOL. Thank you for sharing these with us. Your grandmother's cupboard is beautiful. It is a real treasure. So is the other one, but this one has memories attached to the handles and doors and shelves...it held her best treasures and saw a lot of life through those windows of those doors. That's how I feel about the cabinets we have that were handed down to us. If they could talk, they could sure tell some tales. Maybe we should write their stories for the next generation. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes, I do like to use the good china, silverware, etc. and would, but since holidays are at our daughter's I go with the flow. She has no desire to own china or any of that stuff. I know around here entire sets of china can be purchased at auction or thrift stores for next to nothing because the younger generations just don't want it. The same goes for dining room furniture. I'd use it now and then for Tim and I, but our meal times are so up in the air and varied that it's hard to actually plan. My mom has the same china pattern as me, but hers has soft red roses with green leaves. I have tons of spare pieces for mine as it turns up at garage sales, auctions and whatnot all the time. I have only seen hers one time. Thanks for your thoughts. We are definitely kindred spirits when it comes to family treasures. :)

      Delete
  2. You do have some wonderful treasures, Stacy! I hope the china cupboard hangs in there for many more years of holding those treasures! The corner cupboard looks like it was built for that spot and your china is lovely. Thanks for the tour!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! I'm glad you enjoyed the peek. The corner cupboard fits that spot like a glove...and yes, that's where I planned to put it from the start and no, I never measured. I got lucky!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Stacy, This was a great post. You sure do have some fun and interesting things, as well as many lovely family treasures. Thanks for sharing a peek into these cupboards! (P.S. I didn't know you were in Civil Air Patrol. I wasn't in CAP, but my oldest daughter was all the way through high school. Were any of your kids in CAP?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in CAP all through high school and came very close to joining the Air Force or Army after high school, but finally decided against it. Neither of my kids had any interest in it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stacy, I enjoyed your tour. I have a lot in my China hutch too. I inherited a few pieces that were my mom. Mostly Lladro swans and some Waterford Crystal. You are like me. Special pieces that bring a warm memory of the past. On my Wednesday post I posted picture from my childhood and they brought good memories. I also posted a couple of my "cruise" creations. I would love to go on one more cruise. Hopefully for our 50th anniversary in 3 years. Oh, that arrowhead is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to go and check your pictures out tomorrow. I'm getting to this so late tonight...babysat our youngest grandchild all day today. We'd like to do at least one more cruise some day, too. I guess time will tell how that plays out.

      Delete
  5. Oh WOW, such beautiful items filled with lots of wonderful memories!
    Love both your china cupboard and your corner cabinet.
    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both cupboards are beautiful and I love all the memories you have of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the memories...unfortunately, it makes it very difficult for me to get rid of much of anything. lol

      Delete
  7. Those are all such precious memories, I'm sure. I giggled at the Jimmy Carter peanut. Remember those well. Bet that China hutch is heavy! And the plates are beautiful. I wish my plates had a nice pattern like that. I'm lookin' for some within my price range. Time to upgrade what I've got! Thanks for sharing your lovely home. Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That peanut! I was 14 when I went to Washington and as soon as I saw the vendors selling those, I absolutely HAD to have one! It's the only thing I brought back...it was such a whirlwind weekend and a very strange one being that it was the weekend of the Jim Jones mess.
      Affordable china? Come on up and spend some time with me! I'll take you to the thrift shops and auctions. China turns up all the time. It's quite common to be able to purchase a complete set for under $50.

      Delete
  8. What a treasure trove you have there ... the eclectic mix of old and new. That green-eyed cat is so cool! I'm thinking your grandparents would be so pleased how you've preserved their things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah...my grandfather was an "American Picker" before that was a thing and I grew up on auctions, flea markets, rummage sales, estate sales, yard sales, etc. Eclectic describes the decorating style of everyone...until you get to my kid. She is pure farmhouse. We all live with antiques and would rather find a beautiful, well-loved old piece than buy something new.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes