Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle.
1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood? Not in my neighborhood, no, but there is a very nice one less than a mile away in another neighborhood. They had a big to-do a few years back when someone had it refurbished (an aspiring Eagle Scout, maybe?), but I don't think anyone has done anything since.
2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them. My husband was a Marine. My dad served with the peace keeping forces in Berlin during the 50s. My uncle was a Marine in the Pacific Theater during WWII. He worked with the Navajo Code-Talkers and landed one beach down from Iwo Jima. My late brother-in-law was a Sea-bee and my father-in-law was an aircraft mechanic attached to a special forces unit. He was right in the middle of things during the Bay of Pigs. We currently have a nephew-in-law serving with the Guard in Afghanistan.
3) Similarly, we're grateful to those who served on the front lines during the Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too! There isn't anyone in our close family, but I know quite a few people who continued to work in stores, as health care workers, and first responders.
4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet? No. I'm terrible about doing that. I've been pulling out the summer clothes to wear for the last 2 or 3 weeks, but based on past history...there's a good chance July will be looming before I finally officially make the switch.
5) What's your favorite picnic food? I don't know...any of the salad type dishes, I guess. I don't know why, but I typically don't eat much at picnics. I'll pig-out on leftovers later, but not at the picnic. Too much going on to bother? Too hot? I have no idea.
6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? Nope. There was yesterday, but we have cooled off a LOT today thanks to constant rain since lunch. It's supposed to go down into the 40s tonight.
7) This week's song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his death. What's the saddest song you have ever heard? This one is right up there, but to choose another...Holes in the Floor of Heaven.
8) This week's featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could have lunch with one of those luminaries -- Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie Andrews -- which would you choose? Probably William Shatner. I suspect he would be a hoot!
9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase? I supposed so...it was some office supplies I need for work.
Thanks, as always, to Crazy Sam for the music and questions!