Sweet! I'm loving this week's song choice. I was a card-carrying member of the Osmond Brothers' Fan Club, you know. Thanks Sam, for the music and the questions!
One Bad Apple (1971)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) This song is a play on the old saying that one bad apple can spoil the bunch, or that the bad behavior of one member can reflect badly on the whole group. Do you think that's true? Absolutely! People can be judged unfairly by the company they keep, but people who hang around the wrong people can also take on some of their traits.
2) The Osmonds began as The Osmond Brothers, a barbershop quartet that performed at the original Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Today there are 9 Disney Resorts all around the world, as far away as Shanghai. Have you ever been to a Walt Disney property? Only Disney World and Epcot. We went for our honeymoon and then many times while we lived in Orlando.
3) By the time the Osmonds made this record, Donny had joined the group and became their breakout star. Without looking it up, can you name any of the other four brothers who performed in video clip? Alan, Merrell, Wayne, and Jay.
4) In the 1970s, adolescent girls learned through teen magazines that Donny's favorite color is purple, and that he was especially fond of purple socks. Today, socks are a very big business. There are designer sock manufacturers and even a sock of the month club. Is there a wardrobe item you're very particular about? No, not really other than my shoes have to be comfortable and have lots of support.
5) Donny and younger sister Marie had their own TV variety show. One regular segment had them performing a medley of popular songs, and it began with Marie singing, "I'm a little bit country," followed by Donny's musical reply, "I'm a little bit rock and roll." In this regard, are you more like sister or brother? I'm a little bit both! I enjoy many kinds of music.
6) Donny's popularity continues today. Fans have seen him win Dancing with the Stars (season 9) and come in as a runner up on the first season of The Masked Singer. Do you watch either of these shows -- or other competition series, like American Idol, The Voice, America's Got Talent, etc.? I used to watch just about all of them, but these days I might watch a little of The Masked Singer and America's Got Talent, but that's about it.
7) Donny has also appeared on Broadway. He surprised audiences and got rave reviews as arrogant bad guy Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Tell us about a time when your behavior surprised those who know you well. I think everyone was surprised when I got so involved in youth ministry and even took a couple of seminary classes.
8) Donny is also a grandfather, many times over! Sam admits she's not crazy about that revelation because it makes her feel old. What's something that makes you feel your years? I moved a bunch of heavy furniture by myself today (Friday) and the way my body is feeling tonight definitely has me feeling every one of my years.
9) Random question: We're filling a pinata with your favorite candies. What should we buy? Anything chocolate and Jolly Ranchers.