June 25, 2021

Saturday 9: One Bad Apple

Sweet! I'm loving this week's song choice. I was a card-carrying member of the Osmond Brothers' Fan Club, you know. Thanks Sam, for the music and the questions!

One Bad Apple (1971)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is a play on the old saying that one bad apple can spoil the bunch, or that the bad behavior of one member can reflect badly on the whole group. Do you think that's true?  Absolutely! People can be judged unfairly by the company they keep, but people who hang around the wrong people can also take on some of their traits.
 
2) The Osmonds began as The Osmond Brothers, a barbershop quartet that performed at the original Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Today there are 9 Disney Resorts all around the world, as far away as Shanghai. Have you ever been to a Walt Disney property?  Only Disney World and Epcot. We went for our honeymoon and then many times while we lived in Orlando.
 
3) By the time the Osmonds made this record, Donny had joined the group and became their breakout star. Without looking it up, can you name any of the other four brothers who performed in video clip? Alan, Merrell, Wayne, and Jay.
 
4) In the 1970s, adolescent girls learned through teen magazines that Donny's favorite color is purple, and that he was especially fond of purple socks. Today, socks are a very big business. There are designer sock manufacturers and even a sock of the month club. Is there a wardrobe item you're very particular about?  No, not really other than my shoes have to be comfortable and have lots of support.

5) Donny and younger sister Marie had their own TV variety show. One regular segment had them performing a medley of popular songs, and it began with Marie singing, "I'm a little bit country," followed by Donny's musical reply, "I'm a little bit rock and roll." In this regard, are you more like sister or brother?  I'm a little bit both! I enjoy many kinds of music.
 
6) Donny's popularity continues today. Fans have seen him win Dancing with the Stars (season 9) and come in as a runner up on the first season of The Masked Singer. Do you watch either of these shows -- or other competition series, like American Idol, The Voice, America's Got Talent, etc.?  I used to watch just about all of them, but these days I might watch a little of The Masked Singer and America's Got Talent, but that's about it.

7) Donny has also appeared on Broadway. He surprised audiences and got rave reviews as arrogant bad guy Gaston in Disney's Beauty and the BeastTell us about a time when your behavior surprised those who know you well.
  I think everyone was surprised when I got so involved in youth ministry and even took a couple of seminary classes.

8) Donny is also a grandfather, many times over! Sam admits she's not crazy about that revelation because it makes her feel old. What's something that makes you feel your years?  I moved a bunch of heavy furniture by myself today (Friday) and the way my body is feeling tonight definitely has me feeling every one of my years.

9) Random question: We're filling a pinata with your favorite candies. What should we buy?  Anything chocolate and Jolly Ranchers.

15 comments:

  1. I haven't thought about Jolly Ranchers in a long time! Remembering them kind of makes my mouth water :) Yum! Good job naming the Osmond brothers! I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Jolly Ranchers but don't eat them often these days...sad fact of adulthood, they tend to stick to dental work.

      Delete
  2. #3 -- I love it that you named the brothers in order of age. Nicely done! My oldest friend just looooved Donny. We went to see Donny and Marie in Vegas and before the show there was an Osmonds trivia game. She ACED it! She even knew the name of the imaginary hotel Donny and Marie pretended to run when they were too young to tour with their brothers and felt bad, being left behind: The Donmarie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I ever knew that much trivia about the Osmonds...I never heard that story about the pretend hotel before...but I did love me some Donny! When I was around 9 or 10 my room was plastered with posters of him.

      Delete
  3. Wow Stacy, sounds like you had a good memory jolt! I liked when they did a remake of And They Called it Puppy Love. I haven't had any Jolly Rancher's in a long time. I did enjoy the Book Forgiving What You Can't Forget. It was a bit hard in the sense that it brought up some painful feelings. I like all of Lysa's books. I have seen the videos that go with them too. She really has been through a lot. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the book, Susan. I've never read any of Lysa's books. The women's groups I've been a part of for the last 20 years or so all seem to favor Beth Moore. I enjoy her studies, but at this point I've done all of them but one or two. It's good to find a new writer/teacher.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I ever DID know the names of the brothers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were the first celebrities I was aware of that were MINE and not my parents'.

      Delete
  5. #8 It was bending over filling the dishwasher this morning was what did me in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Donny and Marie...their show, but I barely remember the brothers. Good job on their names.
    I only like certain shoes too. My feet are awful. That is one of my pain areas too. I hate being older. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your responses, Stacy! This was another fun Saturday 9! I have always like Marie's music better than "The Osmonds". I always through Donny was a little too pretty and he seemed to try too hard to be funny(in my opinion). I did watch the show and always enjoyed it. I'm a generation ahead of you which is probably why I wasn't that interested in them. LOL I'm old!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing the Osmond Brothers on the Ed Sullivan Show, and I think also on the Andy Williams show. But I'm old enough to be your mother almost! LOL. I loved Donny and Marie too. As far as something that makes me feel my years...just about everything these days. LOL. I agree about the comfortable shoes totally. That's definite must have. I can't go barefoot either...gotta put on shoes as soon as I get out of bed. My candy of choice is PayDay, and an occasional dark chocolate candy...Hershey's, Dove, or whatever...but not very much or very often. Chocolate makes me nauseous. I know...that's terrible, but has probably saved my life...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was smiling all through your answers--I forgot Wayne! And I said Merle, although I knew that wasn't right (but I give myself half-points for being close).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no clue. I never liked the Osmonds. ::ducking from the comfortable shoe:: I liked the Jackson 5 better, but I couldn't name those brothers, either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the Osmonds bring back many memories. Marie and Donny where the only ones I remember. I still see them sometimes. Great answers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes