July 3, 2021

Saturday 9: The National Anthem

Saturday 9: The National Anthem (2016)
... because it's 4th of July


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) An early handwritten manuscript of "The Star Spangled Banner" (complete with scratch outs) is preserved at the Maryland Historical Society. Today, much of what we write is preserved in The Cloud. Do you often write down your thoughts with pen or pencil? Or do you do everything on your laptop, pad or phone?  I write several pages in a journal nearly every day. I never, ever record that stuff on electronic devices except for the blog. 
 
2) It's well-known that the lyrics were written by Francis Scott Key. Not so well known is John Stafford Smith, the British composer who gave us the music. He is buried in England's Gloucester Cathedral, under both the US and UK flags. Where is the nearest United States flag waving near you right now?  In the front yard of my house.
 
3) This week's video features Lady Gaga singing The National Anthem before the 2016 Super Bowl. She also performed it at President Biden's Inauguration last January. When is the last time you sang it?  Uh...in the interest of total disclosure...I never actually sing it. I lip sync it. It's a very hard song to sing by all accounts I've heard and when you can't carry a tune in a bucket to begin with...well, let's just say I know my limitations.
 
4) Our second and third Presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, both died on July 4, 1826. OK, it's your turn. Share a Presidential fact.  John Adams was the first president who did NOT own slaves. Ulysses S. Grant was the last president who DID.
 
5) John Hancock said his signature on the Declaration of Independence was intentionally large so King George could see it without his glasses. Do you need glasses to read?  I need to glasses to do everything that requires sight.

6) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Will you be toasting the United States with an adult beverage this weekend?  It's possible that we'll open a bottle of wine at some point, but it's not something we ever plan on.
 
7) Since this year, July 4th falls on a Sunday, banks and post offices will be closed will be closed on Monday. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam doesn't find this a hardship. How about you? Do you find it inconvenient to go an extra day without regular USPS delivery or access to a teller at the bank?  Not at all. The only inconvenience is that it means our garbage pick up will come a day later than normal.
 
8) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July?  Burgers and hotdogs and....something else. I'm heading out to the store soon to see what else I can find. Chicken? Porkchops? Shrimp? Other than that we will have baked beans, corn-on-the-cob, grilled potatoes and onions, and blueberry cobbler.
 
9) The 4th of July is a highlight of the summer season. Have you yet suffered the traditional warm weather maladies: sunburn or bug bites?  Nope. I use LOTS of sunscreen and bugs just haven't been that bad yet...or I haven't been anywhere they have been.

Thanks to Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and questions!

24 comments:

  1. Ah... someone else who sync besides me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to drink waaaay more beer than I should to even consider trying to sing it out loud!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that about Grant! I just looked it up and there it is. He owned one slave, a man he freed in 1859. I love knowing this. Thank you!

    BTW, if I were completely honest, your answer to #3 would be mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grant’s wife’s father owned many slaves, it was an issue for him.

      Delete
    2. Your welcome! And ha! I actually thought of you when I wrote my answer to #3. I know that lack of musical ability is another of those things we have in common.

      Delete
  3. There are American Flags all over our property. They stay there year round.
    Enjoyed your answers.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the big one on the pole all the time. The smaller ones come and go throughout the year and there are usually some USMC flags sprinkled in among them, too.

      Delete
    2. Aw...I was going to comment on your blog, but I see the comments are closed. Beautiful photos! I love cardinals. Blue Jays, too, just in case you ever see them with camera in hand. (hint, hint)

      Delete
  4. Happy Independence Day to you and yours Stacy. I will be putting out our flags here, and keep them up all weekend - one by our carport and two bay the front door, plus two small flags in the welcome sign on the front door. You are right - the Star Bangled Banner is a really hard one to sign. I do my best - we will probably sing it in church tomorrow. There are other patriotic songs I prefer. The Battle Hymn of the Republic usually moves me to tears. Have a good weekend. See you again soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Battle Hymn of the Republic, too. It is such a stirring song. I don't think we should change our anthem, but I do sort of wish they had chosen better to begin with.

      Delete
  5. Have a great holiday weekend Stacy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a very hard song to sing. I agree. #4 is very interesting. Everyone has different fact so far. I am learning today. Loved your answers! Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...I'm just going to head around to visit now. I can't wait to read the presidential facts.

      Delete
  7. We're probably going to have hot dogs tomorrow too. There is no city wide celebration this year (as there was none last year) so no fireworks and no city park picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is sad. Our little town always has a huge celebration...until last year, anyway. This year they cancelled the parade, but are still having the carnival, car show, 5k race, and fireworks.

      Delete
  8. I sing the National Anthem quite often. When I put out the flag on the front porch in the morning I often sing at least a part of it, but not loud enough to wake the neighbors or make the dogs howl. I love to sing it and often sing along at the sporting events even on TV (when we get to see it). We will be having hamburgers and hot dogs tomorrow after church here at the house. I hope the rain will hold off long enough to grill them. The kids are coming over. Not planning a big to-do as in the past. No homemade ice cream. Sad. That is a family tradition but we just don't have the energy or manpower this year. Take care and have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Oh, Pam...I know your voice wouldn't set the hounds off! It is supposed to be nice here, sunny and in the low 80s. It will be the nicest day out of the last 5 or so. The nights are still getting pretty cool, though, so the pool will probably be cold. I still bet Colton gets someone in there with him (the little stinker is predicting it's going to be ME!). It's sad to see traditions stop, though my kids did that pretty quick and I just go with the flow these days whether I like it or not.

      Delete
  9. We're not really doing anything because of the weather. OH well, we'll make up for it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another comment about bad weather! I guess I need to watch the news. It's going to be lovely here...sunny and low 80s. Have a safe and happy day whatever you do!

      Delete
  10. LOL... we answered #7 the same way! Our trash pick-up moves to Wednesday. Another fun Saturday 91 Have a fun celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely love this post and thank you so much for sharing. I love the Star Spangled Banner but the Battle Hymn of the Republic is my favorite patriotic song. Sadly we don’t hear much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you look up the back story to the anthem you will see why it is the perfect song! Enjoyed your answers a lot today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the Star Spangled Banner is hard to sing. I can sing it but it's not my favorite to try. America the Beautiful is a lot easier on the vocal chords!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes