December 10, 2021

Saturday 9: Drivers License

Saturday 9: Drivers License (2021)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a girl who just got her drivers license. Who taught you to drive?  My husband did when we were dating, but I didn't get my license until after we were married and had our first child. We were living with my grandmother at the time and she is the one who coached me through my permit time. Waiting so long was not my choice. I wanted my license just like every teen, but my dad refused to teach me (no idea why my mom didn't) and he said I had to take driver's education at school. It would have been fine, but the school district was experiencing budget woes at the time and driver's ed was cancelled my senior year.

2) Do you like your drivers license/state ID photo?  It's not that bad. The people who take the photos at our licensing center give you final approval and will take 2 or 3 shots to get one that satisfies you. I usually just okay the first try because...it's a driver's license photo, it's not going to look like a high quality portrait no matter what you do.

3) Think back to the first ticket you received. How old were you, and what was it for?  I've never received a ticket.

4) In this week's song, Olivia Rodrigo is brokenhearted, driving through her boyfriend's neighborhood, certain that he has taken up with the sophisticated blonde girl. When it comes to romance, do you have a jealous streak?  Well, I've been married for 37 years so I don't really have a reason to be jealous, but even back in the day when I was dating I don't think I was jealous, possibly insecure, but not jealous.

5) Olivia grew up in Temecula, California. Temecula is home to 40 wineries and dozens of tasting rooms. Have you ever attended a wine tasting?  Oh yes, many! We have a lot of wineries in Pennsylvania and I enjoy visiting them and trying the wines. Some of them have beautiful grounds, stores, and facilities and are wonderful destinations.

6) Her first on-screen appearance was in a commercial for Old Navy stores. Old Navy is owned by the same company as Banana Republic, Gap and Athletica. Have you done any of your holiday shopping at one of those stores? (Yes, their websites count.)  Only Old Navy. We have a store in our mall and when the kids were teenagers I did a lot of shopping there for them.

7) She went on to star in projects for Disney studios. That's also how pop stars Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, and Christina Aguilera got started. Arguably the first teen star created by Disney studios was Annette Funicello. Do you remember her?  She was actually before my time, but one of the local channels reran the old Mickey Mouse Club episodes when I was a kid, so I have seen them and I grew up watching and loving old movies. I loved her and Frankie's movies.

8) "Drivers License" was one of this year's most popular songs. One of this year's most popular books is John Grisham's The Judge's List. Do you expect to do much reading between now and the end of the year? If so, what's on your TBR (to be read) list?  I wish the answer was yes, but probably not. Between now and Christmas there is so much to do. The week between Christmas and New Year's is my best shot, but I'm not counting on it. I'm not scheduling any work that week, but Tim is taking a week of vacation and will be around. Plus, there is also the specter of those recently discovered stones in each of his kidneys. If they are going to act up...you just know it's going to be during the holidays. He's having a lot of pain now and we've not heard from the urologist yet (Tim's going to call her on Monday).

9) Random Question: What is the longest line you ever stood in, and was it worth it?  It was either the line for Splash Mountain at Disney World or the line for the Jaws ride at Universal Studios. I don't know which was officially the longest, but both were over 2 hours. Um...the rides were fun and all, but were they worth a 2 hour wait? Probably not, but when at Disney or Universal it's what you do.

Thanks to Crazy Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and questions.

14 comments:

  1. Now that you mention it, Splash Mountain was a long wait and it was so hot. Made getting wet more fun! I miss going as we had passes for about 10 years. But with Covid and super high prices, it's a no go for now. I hope your hubby does not get sick during Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be in a long-distance relationship with a guy who lived just outside Philly and we used to go for drives. Pennsylvania is beautiful. Not that Illinois isn't, but it's so FLAT here and there's a sameness to our countrysides.

    Poor Tim! I had kidney stones and felt wretched. My doctor (she was wonderful) kept reassuring me that while the pain was scary-intense, I wasn't really in danger. I remember thinking, how can something hurt this bad and not be "serious?" Anyway, my heart goes out to your hubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy - I hope that Tim can pass those stone quickly and without too much pain. We used to live literally just down the road from Temecula, California. It was about a 30 minutes drive down the freeway to the south of us. I have shopped at GAP and Old Navy and in fact we gave some of our children Old Navy gift cards this Christmas. I love Old Navy flannel shirts! My dad taught me to drive - I never took driver's ed. I only got one ticket - for speeding in a school zone (not really speeding but going the regular speed limit). It was during the day and I didn't realize that the flashing light was still going. $200 lesson that I won't forget. I enjoy these posts. It is always fun to learn more about my blogging friends. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the license photo--just take it.

    I hope Tim doesn't suffer too much, that's such intense pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope my DMV folks offer seconds (or thirds) next Spring! It shouldn't bother me, but ya. I've not read any of Grisham's books in years, but this (Judge's List) sounds juicy. I hope y'all are enjoying a great day, safe from the storms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our DMV is pretty cool about the photos and they always ask us etc...poor Tim. Keeping in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #8 Hopefully Tim stones will pass on their own. You are probably right, Murphy's Law says it will happen at the worst time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally forgot about going to theme parks. Those were the longest lines for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #1 ~ I learned in school. Got my learners permit at age 15, but I was driving tractors, lawn mowers, etc. before that.
    #8 ~ Praying that Tim's stones pass easily and he is healed soon. Bless his heart.
    I enjoyed your answers (except for Tim not feeling well).
    Christmas Blessings To You All. ((Hugs)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the hubby is feeling better soon. Nothing is worse than being sick during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My kids love that song! And the lines at Disney. Oh the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karl and I have only been to Disney at off peak times and so the lines were not horrible, and we did fast pass the second time with Josh. I doubt we go again.
    I hipe your husband feels better soon. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came to see how you and your family were doing.
    And after one scare you now have another one, I'm sorry to hear.
    I hope that the fix is in the diet or something simple. Sometimes it is.
    Enjoy the Holidays with your family. The picture of your grandson is so cute. I think he favors his Grandma like you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes