December 7, 2021

Tuesday 4: Reading & Watching

Linking up with the Tuesday 4 on this cold Pearl Harbor Day.

1. Is there a hero or character on TV, in a book or a movie .. or even on all three, that you are especially like? What do you find attractive about them?  I can think of two characters right off the bat that I sort of identify with. The first is Jo March from Little Women. Jo is a book nerd with a big heart and more than a little social awkwardness. She ends up finding happiness when she learns to live to the beat of her own drum rather than the "norm." I might be more than a little bit like her. The second character I like is Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie tries to do the right thing, be good to people, and it often blows up in her face...yet she manages to retain a sense of humor and keeps taking a chance of people. It took me a "few" years to get there, but I hope I have that same spirit. (It doesn't hurt that she gets Ranger as a love interest!)

2.  Was there a book that was better in movie form? How about a movie you thought didn't live up to the book?  Let me start by saying I don't like horror, but for some reason I did read Stephen King's Misery. It was such an intense read and so much of it happened in the minds of the characters. The movie was a huge hit and Kathy Bates won best actress for her role in it, but I found it hugely disappointing. The action scenes were true to the book, but there was no way to depict all that mental stuff and without that the story lacked so much. A book that was better as a movie? I'm going to say A Walk to Remember. Both the book and movie were very good, but seeing it brought to life added a little something extra.

3. When you choose a book, program or movie which subject it is most likely to be: science fiction, mystery, romance, comedy, documentary, etc.? What draws you to a particular book or movie?  A lot depends on my current mood, but in general, I will choose a mystery or adventure type (Indiana Jones, National Treasure, etc.) type book or movie most of the time. One of my favorite book series is James Rollins' Sigma Force. The first book was to have been made into a movie a few years ago, but something fell through. I was so disappointed. When it comes to books the cover art and the description on the cover are what pull me in.

4. How important is the title or picture on the cover of a book?   How much importance do you place on a movie because of the actors who are in it?  Oops! I sort of answered the question about book covers. A good cover can make the difference in whether I pick up a book or not if I haven't already read a description or other books by the author. When it comes to movies, I have a few actors/actresses that I always enjoy watching, but I can't say I choose to watch a movie just because they are in it. Actors often choose really strange movies to make.

12 comments:

  1. Janet,

    I'm not sure if my comment will stay using Brave browser and if not then I'm gonna copy it before leaving so I can try in Firefox. I'm in the midst of moving away from Google and am requesting Blogspot authors to consider allowing commenters to have the option to use Name & URL. Some of my Blogspot friends have this turned on and that's how I know about it, so if you could make this available then I'd appreciate it, otherwise at some point my commenting will come to an end as soon as I delete my Google accounts.

    Alrighty, I enjoyed reading your answers. While I have not read any of the books you mentioned I have seen the action/adventure flicks Indiana Jones and National Treasure series. I love movies like this and had really hoped that a third one would've come out for the later title but never did. The Mummy series is another good one. Oh well...it was great fun to read your responses. I hope you have a joyful holiday season, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love the Mummy movies! I forget what it is called, but I just saw a preview for a movie coming in February with Mark Wahlberg that is all about a treasure hunt. It is on my must see list!

      Delete
  2. I love you chose Jo... such a good strong woman in the time period.
    I am such a sucker for a book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about Misery being so much better in book form. The psychological terror just could not adequately transfer to film even though Kathy Bates did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did do a great job, but the psychological aspect was totally missing and made a big difference.

      Delete
  4. #2 ~ I tell ya what TV series was better than the books was "Jewel In The Crown" (1984), which was based on the series of books titled Raj Quartet. The books were absolute yawners but the TV series was excellent. We have it on DVD.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jewel_in_the_Crown_(TV_series)
    I haven't seen all of them but the ones I did watch I didn't like the Stephen King movies. I did hear the books are much better. I'm more of an Agatha Christie kinda gal.
    I enjoyed your answers.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for Stephen King anything, but someone managed to convince me to read Misery. It creeped me out. I stopped reading early in the day and preferred to have someone else around.

      Delete
  5. Now how'd I guess you'd pick Stephanie Plum? (LOL) I've not read Misery (nor watched the movie) - but this tidbit's got my curiousity piqued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, the book is rather terrifying because it is of the "it could happen" variety. The movie would totally not be my kind of movie, but should you watch it...do so before reading the book so you aren't disappointed.

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, our mutual love of Stephanie!! I should give Little Women another try. I have never finished it. I enjoyed your post, Stacy (always do!). Have a good rest of the week! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always being such an encouragement and bringer of good cheer, Terri!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your answers. I like Jo March!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes