January 2, 2022

There Is a Time to Dance

Christmas is over and packed away, the new year has arrived, Tim's vacation time has ended, and life goes back to normal tomorrow. That must mean it's time to reveal my new word for the year. 

In 2020 my word was "abide." I wanted to learn to truly abide in God. Little did I know that He was going to provide me with ample time to do just that by allowing a little virus to shut down the planet. In some ways 2020 wasn't the best of years (to say the least), but learning to abide in God helped me get through it all with what I hope was a lot of grace given...to others and to myself.

In 2021, I felt like God was leading me to the word "abundance." I wasn't sure what that was going to mean. I wasn't expecting to win the lottery or anything like that. And I didn't. Ha! But I was blessed in so many ways, most notably with a new job and a new church. Life has been full and good.

As 2022 approached, I tried out a lot of words, but somehow, none of them felt quite right. Then a post on Facebook gripped me and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. My own thoughts, studies, and devotions seemed to be confirming it and then this morning the sermon at church sealed the deal.

I give to you my word for the year 2022...DANCE.

Why "dance?" Let me share that Facebook post.

When I meditated on the word Guidance, I kept seeing 'dance' at the end of the word. I remembered reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing. When two people try to lead, nothing feels right. The movement doesn't flow with the music, and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky. When one person realizes that and lets the other lead, both bodies begin to flow with the music. One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back or by pressing lightly in one direction or another. It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully. The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other.

My eyes drew back to the word Guidance. When I saw 'G' I thought of God, followed by 'u' and 'i'. God u and i dance--God you and I dance.

Isn't that the most beautiful, comforting thought...that we are engaged in a dance with God and the more attuned we become to him, the more we give up the need to be in control, the more we follow his lead, the more the music will flow and the more fluid and beautiful the dance will become.

It also occurred to me that the more I practice 'dancing' with God and the better I get at it, the more his music will fill my heart and make me want to dance and praise his name!

My prayer for you in 2022-

I hope you dance!

10 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I love your word for 2022. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb speaks for me. As I was reading, I thought, "this is really lovely." Here's to many dances in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My, Stacy...Yes, it IS time to "dance"! I LOVE this! What a beautiful word picture...and then that real picture of the woman dancing with Jesus, well, that just blew me away! That is so wonderful! What a magnificent thought! Oh yes! "I hope you dance" as well. This should make for a wonderful year!! I am "delighted" with your word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that word and the meaning behind it. Mine is Grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dance" is a good word. Once Upon A Time I was a dancer. Started out in ballet then moved into Jazz Dancing (free-style). It is a happy way to live. I wish I had kept it up now.
    Blessings to you and yours in the New Year and beyond! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goosebumps! I'm going to try to never again say, "I'm not a dancer." With God, all's not only possible, but probable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool way to discover your word. I love the complexity of it--yet it's so simple. Here's to a wonderful new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy!! I love how your word found you!! What a great way to think about our lives given over to God's control. Thank you for that!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful...and I just love that word. Looking forward to hearing more how this word will apply to your daily life, grin.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes