April 4, 2020

D Is For Distancing

This guy gets bonus points for creativity!
Today marks our 15th "official" day of the world's new normal. At this point our state is under a shelter at home order and a strong "suggestion" to wear a mask when leaving the house. Good plan. If you can find a mask. I have spent a lot of time searching open stores and websites during the last two weeks in the hope of purchasing face masks and latex gloves. Even at highly inflated prices, most sites don't guarantee delivery before the end of the month. Fat lot of good that will do.

Thank goodness my mom sews. I called her this morning to ask if she'd consider making some masks for us. She was already making them. Yay, Mom! She studied some videos on Facebook and figured it out. I have the first one she made with elastic
straps to hook over your ears. She wasn't thrilled with it so all the rest she makes will have ties. They are pleated and there is an opening at the bottom to slide in a dried baby wipe or paper towel to act as a filter. Since I will only be going out once a week for groceries for the foreseeable future, it will do and it's definitely better than nothing. 

Mom and John are taking the social distancing pretty seriously. I've only seen Mom from a distance since this all started. When she brought the mask down for me, she left it on the porch and went home to call me about it. She and John are in their mid and late 70's and John has some heart issues so it's a good thing.

Tim found latex gloves for me today at Lowe's. If you need any of those check the paint department. He didn't think to look, but they may have some kind of masks there, too. Also interesting, he reported that a lot of people were open carrying their weapons. It's supposed to be legal here, but virtually no one does it. (Why call attention to yourself?) It sort of lends a bit of weight to the idea that a growing number of people are beginning to think the numbers don't add up and that something bigger than this virus is going on.

For the most part we are doing fine. Our daughter is the one that worries me. She and her husband go out at least a couple of times a day and not for anything that couldn't wait. Sometimes they take the kids, but lately they've at least been taking turns staying home with them. We just can't seem to get them to stay at home, if not for their own sake, then for the kids, for Mom and John, or heck, even for ours since we are in our late 50's and Tim has high blood pressure. Tim spoke to them again today. I hope it sinks in. A lot of the younger generation seems to think they are invincible.

So, how about you? 

What are your feelings about social distancing?

Are you wearing a mask when you go out?

Do you think there's more going on than meets the eye?

Is everyone you know being compliant with the shelter at home order?

3 comments:

  1. Sigh...I think you know my feelings...something is def. not on the up and up...no, not wearing a mask, and I think most folks are complying. I get this text message earlier from our Republican mayor (we have the code red system in place):

    This is Mayor John Buckley. The number of COVID-19 cases in the Hornell area is growing rapidly. I am asking residents to stay at home and only travel if absolutely necessary. This includes sending only one member of your family to the store for essential items and do not visit others who do not live with you. All other essential interactions outside of your home should be at a recommended social distance of at least six feet. We must all do our part to help minimize the risk to our community. Please heed the precautions, be compassionate toward others and stay informed. Be safe and stay healthy. Thank you.

    Ok, we are going to be starting 4 weeks on Monday with EVERYTHING shut down. I did see (and thankfully) Giovannas Pizza is back open only for delivery (although they are right across the street), hubby burnt the ribs/bbq tonight, so we called out and they delivered-for free. Very nice young man.

    I think, honestly, folks, wake up and really start reading the news and YouTube things. What do folks have to loose? We ain't got nothing to do, grin. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't been wearing masks when we go out but we are vigilant about sanitizing and/or washing our hands and not touching our faces. I actually bought a box of masks a few months ago so we have those if we decide it is necessary. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been in a store or anything for well over a week...I'm getting meal kits delivered, and I get milk delivered. If I happen to need anything else, Gary hits the store for me during the senior hours. He doesn't wear a mask.

    I AM seeing my son regularly, as he is still working, and I watch his dog while he works. I am not seeing my daughter and son-in-law, though, except on Zoom. The two of them are home (he, working; she, not), and they are being diligent about social distancing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes