April 5, 2020

Sunday Stealing

Thanks to Bev for finding the Sunday Stealing questions week after week!

Stolen from Gratitude Journal on Pinterest

Answering on Saturday night (wee hours of Sunday morning, actually).

1. Name a highlight of your day.  My mom sewed me a face mask. Welcome to the new normal.

2. What made you smile today?  Seeing photos of our youngest grandson helping his daddy with yard work.

3. What made you laugh today?  Nothing in particular. I'm sure the hubs and I laughed over something, but I couldn't tell you what.

4. Recall a time when you needed encouragement.  The last few weeks at my job. There was just so much going on...financial crisis for the business, the virus, uncertainty about how my position was going to change. It was very stressful. My husband listened to me every day then finally told me I should quit because it was a part-time job and as such wasn't worth the amount of grief it was causing. Best advice ever.

5. What is a luxury you are thankful for.  These days? All the access we have to television programs, movies, music, etc. so we are entertained during these long days at home.

6. Favorite childhood memory.  The days at my grandmother's. She really encouraged my creativity and imagination. We spent hours and hours outside exploring nature. She bought me my first chickens. She'd play all afternoon in the creek with me. She'd hike through the swamp or up the old road to the cabin in the woods or on rainy days let me build blanket forts and empty her kitchen drawers into my fort. I can't even begin to describe all the things she and I did together.

7. Favorite song–and why?  Piano Man. It's a great song, but it also takes me back to my college years and some very good memories.

8. Where is your favorite place?  Why?  Chincoteague Island, Virginia. When I was a little girl I loved horses and in 4th grade my teacher made us read Misty of Chincoteague. It really captured my imagination with its tales of shipwrecked galleons and wild ponies and of the famous Pony Swim. When, at the end of the school year, a man came and showed us a movie all about the island and I found out that Chincoteague was a real place and Misty was a real pony, Chincoteague became a holy grail of sorts for me. It took until I was in my mid-20's to get there, but it was worth the wait. It was all I'd ever dreamed it would be. I've been back several times and in 2013 I finally saw the Pony Swim. I stood on the beach in a terrible downpour with thunder and lightning flashing all around. It.Was.AWESOME!!! It's still my favorite place after all these years. I love the sea and the town and the ponies and the people. It always feels like going home.

9. What is your favorite scent?  I can't pick just one. I love the smell of babies, fresh baked bread, warm chocolate chip cookies, the ocean, the air after it rains...

10. What is your favorite topic to talk about?  I enjoy discussing the Bible, my faith, religion...following that, my favorite topics are my family, books, and history.

11. What do you like doing so much that you lose track of time?  Read, study the Bible, and play around on the computer.

12. If you had 5 minutes and the whole world was forced to listen, what would you say?  I would share how knowing Jesus changed my life and who I am and I would invite them to know him, too.

13. Whose life do you envy the most, and why?  I honestly don't envy anyone's life. Oh, there might be one or two things in someone's life I wish I had or something, but I wouldn't trade lives. Every life has it's own problems that we can't always see from the outside.

14. What would you different with your education if you got a chance to start over?  For starters, I would finish my degree and second, I would study something other than journalism. Possibly, religion. Or maybe I'd go to a trade school of some sort. That was never put out there as an option for me and I've often thought it would have been a better fit than college. Of course, trade schools weren't then what they are now.

15. What would you do with your life if you had no fear?
  Travel to Israel, Egypt, and Turkey. I have always been completely fascinated by the ancient history of that region. 

20 comments:

  1. I always wanted to go to Chincoteague after I read the book, decades ago, but never did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Chincoteague Island, Virginia. I am glad you got to go there. I wanted to go to Hawaii for years but was to afraid to fly. Finally did in 2000 and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes - freshly baked bread - wonderful. And bacon.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bacon smells good cooking. I just hate that it hangs on to everything for days.

      Delete
  4. Hey, gf, one is never too old to go back to school (grin). Just a saying, grin.

    I have never heard of Chincoteague Island, Virginia and will look that up.

    Have a great day, friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Misty. Always wanted to get to Chincoteague, lived in Virginia for years, and never did. One day.....another add to the bucket list, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your answers today.
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your hubs was there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your story on #8! I have never read that story! It intrigues me. Loved your answers! Have a nice day!!

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a good story about what life was like on the island mid-20th century. You should read it.

      Delete
  9. Hi Stacy, if you go to www.illustratedfaith.com. You can learn more about Bible journaling which includes coloring in you Bible. Today is the last day to get 50% off graphics. This is great if you have a printer and you want to add pictures to your BIble or a journal. I am starting the Shepherd and the Lamb Devotional today. Are you on Instagram?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! No, I'm not on Instagram.

      Delete
  10. Misty was a favorite of mine, as well. I never heard of Chincoteague until you first talked about it. As a result, it's on my short list! Awesome response to #13!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely adding Chincoteague Island to my next trip to Virginia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it. It's got the beach vibe, but it isn't all commercialized.

      Delete
  12. I agree with you on #13! We just don't know the demons in the lives of others. Good questions again this week and I enjoyed reading your responses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Travel is a good answer for the last question. I have always wanted to see the pyramids up close and personal, but I don't see it happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, either. Too dangerous over there these days. Sigh.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes