June 2, 2020

Tuesday 4: Family

Linking up with Annie today for the Tuesday 4 and a discussion of families. 

1.What family member do you most resemble in looks or personality and/or which one resembles you most? I look a little like my mom and grandmother, but I think the most resemblance is between my daughter and I. It will be interesting as I go forward in meeting my biological father and his family to see if I can see myself in them.

Me, my daughter, and my son's daughter.


2.What jobs did your father and/or mother have when you were growing up?  


Dad worked as an assistant manager for the Pennsylvania Game Commission on its pheasant farm, the manager of a private wildlife preserve owned by the Mellon family, and as a supervisor at a foam rubber plant. Mom worked as a librarian until I was out of school then became a rural letter carrier because it paid far more. 

3. Did your parents make a big deal over holidays and if so, how did they do it? 


Oh goodness, yes! My dad valued family and tradition over all else. Christmas for example, when I was small enough to believe in Santa, meant that not only did Santa bring the presents on Christmas Eve, but also the tree. When I got older decorating the tree was a family affair with Dad supervising the placement of every ornament and strand of tinsel. Christmas Eve was also reserved for wassailing in the neighborhood Dad grew up in. We all would meet at one house for food, drinks, and merriment. After a while we would move en mass to someone else's home. It would continue until 1:00 in the morning...with the adults "torturing" us kids with thoughts that Santa wouldn't stop because we were still up. 

Easter involved a big hunt for eggs and my basket. Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, and Labor Day all meant huge picnics...again with the neighbors he grew up with and family. The Fourth also meant going to our town's huge parade.

4.  What do you like most about your family or in laws/ or what do you not like?

As much as my family has annoyed me or hurt me at times over the years, I know that when push comes to shove, they are here for me. I like how important our history has been to all of us and how we've kept traditions alive.

My in-laws are a huge group! My husband's parents are both gone, but between the siblings, their children and now the grandchildren there are over 30 of us. They are fairly close, but there don't seem to be any hard and fast traditions. What I like the least about them is that my husband has always been the black sheep and they've extended that to our children. My children have always been aware that in the family they come second to all their cousins. My precious mother-in-law is the only one who didn't act that way, but she's been gone for a long time.

7 comments:

  1. It always make me happy to read others families are there for them etc. (also a bit sad).

    Stay safe, Stacy. Have a beautiful day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your holidays sound wonderful. And that's a great picture and you guys really do look alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AS I read these and and really think aobut it I think country holiday celebrations are best..SOmething about the food, the climate and atmosphere jsut lends itself to making holidays extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your recounting holiday traditions! My own pale in comparison -- only on account my father was usually working. That's a wonderful photo of you three. Your daughter's hair looks like something from a Breck shampoo commercial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its funny to see how resemblances work - our middle grandson is the SPITTTTTTTING image of Ricky - like its creepy - funny how it just skips some kids/grandkids & then lands all on another.
    I love your holiday memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful holiday traditions. We need to bring families closer today. I think that is a problem in America today.. the lack of close ties and families spread out too far from one another. Enjoyed this post a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems we were both blessed with fun childhoods. Family is really so important and I know how blessed I am. I miss our big family reunions. Your daughter does look just like you! God bless, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes