July 13, 2020

Monday Morning Musings

Currently, in Latrobe...

Weather...pleasantly cool this morning after strong storms on Friday night, but the humidity is coming back and temps should be in the mid 80's.

Reading...Finished reading Little White Secrets yesterday. It was a little dark, but very good. It's about the implosion of a family caused by an alcoholic father and all the secrets the family keeps. I started Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing: A Novel. It's about a female politician who is young and kind of a wonder kid and about what happens when dirt from the past surfaces just as she is thinking of a run for the White House.

Celebrating...that the pool installation guys came and looked everything over on Saturday and said that if all goes well they will be here toward the end of the week to put up the pool. Hallelujah! (It would have been sooner but they got rained out on Friday and Saturday.)

Looking back at the weekend...

On Friday I had my first physical therapy session. I really liked the lady I worked with. I don't think I get her again, though. All the appointments I have scheduled are with a younger guy she works with. 

Anyway, she asked tons of questions, had me move all kinds of ways, asked about my goals, etc. She said my left IT band was very tight, but so was my right. Other muscle groups were pretty tight, too. There probably isn't a lot we can do about the knee because the only problem with it is arthritis, but she gave me a series of 5 stretches to do every day. They are helping so much already! 

I've done some walking and the only trouble I've really had is with my feet and ankles...which she also addressed. Sort of. She agreed that I have ridiculously flat feet and that even my Vionics, which help more than any other shoe I've tried, are not giving me enough support. She said I need to see an Orthotist and get custom arch supports made. 

I'll go back to PT twice a week for the next two weeks and then we'll see what happens. She thinks I'll be able to work at home after that which is good news since our insurance has a $50 co-pay every time I go!

I watched the kids for a little bit after I got home while Megan got some things done. Crazy hard rains and wind kept us tucked into the house Friday night.

Leah's modeling the cute outfit I got her. It looks like she has a beer gut! I kept pulling the skirt up, but every time I looked at her it was back under her belly. LOL



Saturday was supposed to be dry after a scattered shower or two in the morning. Yeah, missed on that one. It rained all day until supper time. We drove in to the pool store to get instructions on how to maintain the pool and the owner called the install guy. Thanks to him, they came and looked at the yard and said they will be here this week. Unless they get rained out. 

We stopped at Sam's Club and bought some nice looking meat for the freezer and a few other things. Not a lot, really, for a trip to Sam's.

Colton spent the afternoon with us so Mommy and Daddy could go through his toys and sort out a lot to donate. He and Pappy had a lot of fun playing with kinetic sand and he and I watched a movie.

Sunday we had planned to do stuff outside, but first of all, Mother Nature didn't cooperate again. It rained most of the morning. Then the washer decided to die. Tim looked at it, but we decided after about 15 years we might as well get a new one.

Ha! What an adventure that turned out to be. We weren't aware that just like pools, bikes, tents, kayaks, and a million other things...most washers are out of stock right now. In many cases it would have been at least a month to get one. We finally decided to pay a bit more than we planned and buy the one they had in stock. I'll get the matching dryer in the fall.

I went back to a top-load model. I'm soooo over the front loading ones. It's a pretty champagne color. The picture doesn't really do it justice. It's kind of a nice golden beige color.


That took a good while to accomplish so we just did a quick run to the grocery store and skipped Walmart. All we really needed was stuff for Tim's lunches. I made a garlic-shrimp pasta thing for dinner, but that's about as ambitious as we got. It rained again late this afternoon. We just relaxed and watched Tim's shows on TV. Oh, I did apply online for a job as a part-time van driver for a preschool and saw a couple more jobs I'm going to go back and apply for today. 

This week is a busy one. Tomorrow night Tim and Cody will get the washing machine. Tuesday and Thursday I have PT sessions. Wednesday I am driving north again to meet my half-brother for the first time. Saturday is our little Leah's 1st birthday party! And somewhere in there they are coming to put up the pool and I might have a job interview.

Happy Monday and have a blessed week!

11 comments:

  1. AWWW Leah is soooooooooooooo adorable!!!! Thanks for sharing and for the smiles.

    After many breakdowns of our front loader (and the rotten smell), we decided a few years ago to get a top loader and will never go back to the front loader. We splurged and got a Maytag, Made in America. Also, there is a alumuninum shortage, and other shortages, hence empty shelves etc. My husband, "and that is what happens when we depend on China. They are teaching us a lesson."

    We got some rain not a lot, but enough to make it humid and muggy again. Good luck on the job hunt, I am personally getting a little discouraged right now.

    Have a great day friend! and HURRAY for the pool, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you, the smell and the mold and gunk that you have to deal with on the seal of the front loaders is soooo gross. I won't ever have another one, either. People say they have come a long way since I got mine, but you will never convince me they've come far enough. LOL An aluminum shortage? I hadn't heard that. Explains why so much stuff isn't on the shelves. Hey, bring it back to America, baby...Latrobe still has working steel mills (though at way reduced capacity).

      Right now I'm kind of looking at any job I can physically handle doing, not looking for what I really want to do. Tim is showing a lot of concern about his work and it's stressing him, which is worrying me.... They fired the general manager last week and he's good on his job until fall, but the company has no new projects waiting in the wings. Several have had the plug pulled because of the virus crappola. Banks just aren't funding anything, especially hotels, which is kind of a specialty for the company. The one Tim just finished last year is closed because the huge plant they were counting on for all the business is closed and may never reopen. I don't know about you, but I'm worried about how we will survive another closing. Unemployment doesn't cover the bills and they've already said there won't be the extra checks to supplement it if it happens again. Happy thoughts for a Monday.

      Shaking it off...God is in control! Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Oh my word, can that baby girl get any cuter? I don't know what's going on with washers and dryers -- I know of several folks having issues; even our 3 y/o "Made in the USA" Maytag set is acting out. The way in which they keep pushing warranties and extended warranties makes me suspect they know their products are being manufactured on the cheap. Hope your new pool install happens soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm....I heard they push those extended warranties banking on nothing going wrong. Easy money for them.

      Delete
  3. Leah is ADORABLE!! "Beer belly" and all. How cute is that skirt!! I have several friends who got front loaders and hated them. I will never have one but feel blessed that our Kenmore set at the old house lasted the 28 years we lived there and the GE set we inherited with this house are doing just fine. I am so excited that your pool will be installed this week (weather permitting)! Great news! I sure hope your meeting with your half-brother goes as well as your meeting with your sister and dad. I know you will keep us posted! Good luck with the job search!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in a house that had nothing but Kenmore appliances, sweepers, fans...you name it...and everything lasted for decades. Some of it is still running now! Kenmore was a good brand.

      Delete
  4. She is adorable!
    And I remember those skirts on my baby girls!
    No matter what, they always rode down under the belly!
    And yay for a top loader!
    I will never go back!
    Have a great week. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never wanted a front loader because of knitting but I think it saved me because I havent heard anything good about them.
    POOL TIME IS SO CLOSE!!!!!
    It drives me nuts how insurance doesnt cover PT & alternative therapies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband insisted we get a front loader all because he wanted to be able to wash his sleeping bags. I didn't think it would matter BUT I am not fond of them either. Totally not impressed at all. I find it is hard on my lower back. The gunk in the door gasket is gross. I have to clean it on the inside once a week. I've only had mine now for about 5 years, so they will be with me for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl...don't get me started on the gasket gunk. The worst, nastiest goo you can imagine! Have you had to clean the drain trap on the bottom yet? That's pretty gross, too. If yours are only 5 years old I'm glad I didn't believe the people who've told me they've "improved so much" since I got mine.

      Delete
  7. You were wise to get a top loader. That's what we have, and we have the simpler style with not so many electronic gadgets to go wrong. Appliances nowadays are only built to last about 3 years. They have been mostly made in China. Hopefully that will change and maybe we can get back to making quality appliances again. We've had to replace refrigerators way too often because it costs more to repair than to replace! I'm not a fan of paying extra for warranties, but it might not be a bad idea. Yeah, we heard about the aluminum shortage yesterday at the grocery store. My hubby's favorite soft drink (Fresca), has been out of stock and the guy was there restocking the shelves and told him that's why so many drinks are out of stock. Crazy stuff. Need to go back to glass bottles like in the olden days and glass factories kept PA and other states in business. Hope your pool gets installed this week, and I'll be praying for your job situation...oh and your therapy!! Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes