July 5, 2020

Sunday Stealing: How's the Weather?

Good morning and happy day after the 4th! I hope everyone had a great day with family and friends and made the most of this "new normal" we find ourselves in. Today I'm linking up with Bev for Sunday Stealing.

Weather questions, adapted from Friday Five

1. Have you ever had a vacation ruined by the weather or did you just work around it?  Just once. We went camping when the kids were young down at Rocky Gap in MD. One night we had storms of biblical proportions...thunder and lightning crashing so bad the earth shook, winds, torrential rain. The air mattresses were islands in the middle of lakes...inside the tents! Megan was scared half to death (and the rest of us weren't exactly smiling) and she and I spent the night in the van while the guys braved it out in the tents. Stuff wasn't just wet in the morning. It would have taken days to dry stuff out. We just packed up and came home. We'd had enough.

2. What small changes do you feel people could make to give the planet a fighting chance against global warming?  Just live responsibly. Plan errands so you don't do as much running around, recycle, use things until they actually wear out...just simple stuff.

3. Are you adversely affect by the weather, such as SAD?
  Yes. Winter here in southwestern Pennsylvania tends to be a big, gray bucket of suck. I am talking days and days, if not weeks and weeks of gray sky, gray air, gray ground, and no sunshine at all...just heavy, low-hanging, gray clouds. It is a major downer and if it goes on long enough I will physically crave sunshine.

4. How is the weather where you are and have you seen drastic changes in it during your life time?  Right now it is very hot and humid...today's high was 95* (Saturday) and it's to be that hot all week. After about 3 years of spring and early summer being marked by monsoon-like rains, we are very, very dry right now. All the grass is brown and crunchy. Yes, the weather has changed since I was a kid growing up here. It used to be a rare thing to have heat like this. We also get ridiculously high winds fairly often and tornadoes and micro bursts are always a possibility when they used to be a rarity.

5. Do you think we can stop global warming or is it too late?  I believe we are experiencing climate change, I am not convinced we are experiencing global warming. It might have something to do with having been taught in the 70's that we were entering another ice age. The experts weren't quite right about that one.

6. What could you do for an hour or so today that you would really enjoy doing?  Reading, puttering in my little room doing crafty things, writing...that sort of thing. Anyway, I'm not getting very far from the A/C.

7. What could you do for an hour today that might improve your life in the future?  Exercise...but as hot as it is I wouldn't hold your breath.

8. What could you do for an hour today that could strengthen or improve a skill you would like to be able to rely on?  Exercise. I know some strength training or working on my core would help me a lot.

9. What could you do for an hour today that would make your living space more pleasant to live in?  Clean. It could use a good deep cleaning.

10. What could you do for an hour today that would improve your relationships with loved ones?  Focus on them, do something nice for them.

11. Do you like, dislike, or pay no attention to the wind?  I like a nice breeze, but like I mentioned earlier, we get a lot of wind here so as long as it isn't 60 mph or more, I don't pay any attention.

12. Do you have allergies or sinus made worse by the wind?  I think so. The allergist said no when I was tested. My doctor said they don't test you for every possible allergen so there's something that bothers me.

13. Have you ever been caught in a big wind (not a hurricane or tornado)?  Yes. Quite a few years ago on New Year's Eve we had winds that were clocked at 100 mph. We actually sat in the house and watched the walls move in and out with it! I've also been through a tornado and a micro burst.

14. When was the last time you flew a kite?  I have no idea. Maybe with my kids?

15.Would you like to have the power of flight? I think that would be pretty cool.

20 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your answers...yep, hot here in western NY. SMILES--I am not going far from the ac either, lol.

    Have a great day friend. smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the weather has changed a good deal, and I also think that, whether it's simply climate change or global warming or whatever you want to call it, it makes sense to try to stem pollution and move from fossil fuels to renewables, if only for better air quality. Why that is so hard is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the need to take care of the planet and I don't know why it's so hard.

      Delete
  3. Camping in a thunderstorm? That sounds horrific.

    I would have left too.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely was one of the longest nights of my life and we had to stay until morning because even if we could pack up during the storm it wouldn't have been safe to drive in it.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stacy.
    I enjoyed your answers as usual!
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your camping adventure sounds like a horror flick; I'd be right there freaking out with Megan. He won't admit it, but Tom's begun suffering from SAD since we left Arizona. On the other hand, I get a weird sense of comfort from grey and gloomy days … unless there's a risk of tornadic activity. At least the heat and humidity are a super excuse not to get out walk my miles around the park. Wouldn't it be stupid to exercise for one's health then drop from heat stroke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get into a gray, gloomy day but you really haven't endured gray and gloomy until you spend January in PA. EVERYTHING is gray.

      Delete
  6. We went camping once and a huge storm was predicted. we set up the tent, and moved everything out of our van so we could sleep in the van....and then the rain never came.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your storm missed you. We had no clue and no warning!

      Delete
  7. That camping trip would have did it for me... no more camping! Oh my goodness and I'm glad you and Megan could stay dry in the van! Another interesting Sunday Stealing. Wishing you a good week ahead, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no way I would have stayed the night camping in a storm like that. I would have gone home then. It would have been miserable either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would have left, but even if we got everything packed up during the storm it wouldn't have been safe to drive.

      Delete
  9. WoW, that camping trip would have ruined me for any future camping trips! lol Mother Nature can be very rude. Oh well, life goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very rude that night and we have never taken a family camping trip again (I have camped on mission trips, though).

      Delete
  10. Good answers! I remember wet camping trips as a kid too. One thing we learned was not to put anything up against the insides of the tent, as that would make the water come in. But even being careful about that didn't always work. Tent camping is definitely not for the faint of heart! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is not for the faint of heart, but none of the tricks would have saved us that night. The rains were so severe and there was flash flooding everywhere. We wouldn't even have been able to drive home if we'd tried.

      Delete
  11. Remember the term "greenhouse effect"from way back when. You got me curious about the difference between global warming and climate change, if any. I thought the terms are interchangeable. Not so, according to the experts. Global warming refers is a subset of climate change. While global warming is specific to human-made causes, climate change refers to both natural and human-made causes. I learn something everyday. :-) Thanks for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes