October 27, 2020

Life Will Find a Way

I'm sitting here listening to my cousin, Luke Laird's, new album on Alexa. Luke is my second cousin...or first cousin once removed...or something like that. That stuff confuses me to no end. Our mothers are first cousins and our grandfathers were brothers. So, whatever that makes us in the cousin world. The songs on this album are very personal and reflective...we didn't grow up together, but we're different shoots on the same family tree so the music strikes a chord somewhere in my spirit.







Reflective seems to be the mood of the day. I started this morning by doing my Bible study and writing in my journal as I always do. I completed a journal today...right down to the last line on the last page. I don't know about you, but the day I start a journal and the day I finish it are always kind of "big" days. The first day is one of expectation and wonder of what life will bring to fill the pages. The last day begs for a look back to see where life has taken me. Did it even come close to what I was expecting? What did I learn? 

The journal I ended today was begun on January 1, 2020. I was full of hope for a year of change. Be careful what you wish for, huh?

When the year began I was employed full-time, but not loving it due to a very difficult boss. Barely into January I asked to drop back to part-time. 

In February it came to light that the nursing home was in a dire financial situation. People were fired. People quit. Work was crazy and it seemed uncertain how things would play out.

In March Covid-19 became the roar heard around the world. At the beginning of the month the nursing home began taking extreme safety measures and stopped all visits. Since this was all new and we didn't know what to expect, rumors flew and everyone was afraid. It also became clear that the fallout from the financial woes would mean I'd have to work with my boss again. I quit my job on March 20, one day before our state's shelter-at-home order went into effect.

The rest of March and all of April were a bit like a long vacation with everyone at home. It was also a time of adjustment as we, and the world with us, learned how to navigate our "new normal." (Is anyone else as sick of that term as I am?) It was quite a weird thing to not be able to go anywhere or see anyone. 

In the months since then we've celebrated holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. I met my father and one of my brothers for the first time. We've learned to work, worship, celebrate and party virtually. We have binge watched a show about the most depraved people imaginable and turned a Tiger King into a celebrity. 

We've watched the world shut down, start to reopen, and hover again on the brink of shutting down. We have seen the divide along racial, political, social, and economic lines widen and go deep. We have seen (or experienced) families torn apart. We have seen the best of humanity. We have seen the worst. We have shared joys and we have whined. In short, we have gone on about the business of living. I think of the Jeff Goldblum quote from Jurassic Park, "Life will find a way."

Where the next two months will take us, I have no idea...especially with the presidential election looming over us next week. But I do one thing, God, my God, is in control. Romans 13:1 tells us: 


We can be assured that no matter who wins next week or what our new normal turns out to be, God is the ultimate authority and He is in control and on His throne!



16 comments:

  1. Amen!! I know that on Nov. 4th we will all wake up in our same bed, same house, and go on about life as usual, or as usual as possible in our "new normal", which I don't like that term either, but it's the only one that we seem to understand these days. The earth will still be turning on its axis and the sun will rise and set and the moon will be fading a bit, but it will come back around again in due time. We will all adapt one way or the other, regardless of who wins or loses. Praying that God will help us to love one another and not give in to the division that seems to want to destroy our wonderful nation. We may have to be the ones who reach out to the "other side" to make peace. We will celebrate Thanksgiving and be very thankful to have survived this year. And then we will get ready for Christmas, and celebrate Jesus, the Light of the World! That's my plan...how about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plans are looking pretty much like your plans! I confess that I might have to have a moment of disappointment on the 4th if Biden wins, but then I'll move on.

      Delete
  2. AMEN... I love this so much. It is so crazy to look back over any year - especially 2020 & you see how much has changed - how much is unexpected... & yet, next year will come & bring its new crazy with it. Just PRIASE THE LORD He says the same

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And I get to start a new journal tomorrow. Yay!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Amen! As hard as it would be if Biden gets in the White House (it will only be a few months before they declare him unfit) I will put my faith and trust in our God. He is always in control. This year has certainly been one for the record book. I overheard someone say today that this year has just flown by. It has, and it hasn't. Here's to the next two months and to the brand new year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what record book, but I sure hope we quit setting its kind of records!

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed my time here tonight Stacy. Yes God is in control. He never changes and He gives us hope. I pray for our country and leaders daily. I don't listen to much news. I like to journal/craft, listen to music, read my Bible and blog. I have been pretty busy putting little craft kits together for my lifegroup. Spending time with my grands is the best and I know you can relate to that. I hope your husband is feeling better. Enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that you keep yourself busy. I try to do the same. I watch the news, but only once a day or less. What are you putting in the craft kits?

      Delete
  5. That is what keeps me peaceful....God is in control. We have voted by absentee vote and are looking forward to seeing the results next week. No matter the outcome it is so comforting to know, without a doubt, we are in the Lords hands. Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I have no idea how those without God are making it through these days. We are voting in person. Trusting God's control, but not the honesty of the system here in PA.

      Delete
  6. Beautifully said my friend. Yes, indeed, the good Lord is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderfully you've captured both the joys and sorrows of 2020! Thank you for the reminder who's REALLY in control. No matter the road, I'm proud to walk it alongside you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stacy. I really love this post and totally agree. No matter what happens, God's got this. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! God is definitely in control and has not been taken by surprise by 2020.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes