October 22, 2020

Thankful Thursday

Hey! Sorry I went AWOL for a couple of days there. The last two days were just kind of busy and a lot crazy, but I'm back, for today at least. I'll try to post tomorrow, but Tim is having his procedure done so we'll see how it goes.

Today, though, is Thursday and though I've been trying to change up my blogging habits, I just can't let go of Thankful Thursday and there are just so many things to be thankful for today. Here are just a few...

The funeral for my friend's father is over. She (and we, her friends) survived. It wasn't pretty as far as family relations went. Her soon-to-be-ex husband insisted on being there, but didn't speak to her or any of us. Her children didn't speak to her unless she spoke to them first and then only to respond with as few words as possible. 

The service was beautiful. Our pastor opened the service, then the hospice chaplain from the nursing home spoke about how Harry (my friend's father) responded , and then my friend spoke. She shared how her relationship had changed with her father over the course of his illness and the story of how she led him to accept Jesus as his Lord and Savior. It was a pretty incredible story...he'd had a stroke and was speaking jibberish and when she started talking to him about Jesus and asking questions, his speech immediately became perfectly clear! Several wonderful gospel songs that he enjoyed in his final days were played and then our pastor delivered an incredible, inspired message about knowing where you're going. We pray that some seeds were planted, but just don't know. You've never seen a more completely miserable, joyless, hopeless bunch of people. 

Great fellowship. Since my friend did not go out to dinner with the family, four from our Bible study group went out to a favorite restaurant with her. The hospice chaplain was also invited. We had a wonderful time talking and celebrating the Lord. There was also an unexpected connection. The chaplain and I discovered that we had attended the same college and had the same major. He graduated in the spring of the year I started in the fall. What a small world, huh?

Another lunch today. Someone arranged for a cater to send food to my friend, but it was too late for yesterday as plans had already been made. The food is being delivered today and my friend invited those who can from our Bible study group to come for lunch.

Indian Summer. I think that's what you'd have to call yesterday, today, and from the sounds of it the next couple of days, anyway. Beautiful sunshine and days hovering at 80 degrees. I love fall, but I can appreciate the beauty of it.

A good check-in with the diet doctor. She wasn't upset that I'd stopped taking the meds she'd prescribed and agreed to prescribe the drug I had been on before that worked so well. And she told me the good news that it can be taken long term now. Yay!

Blessings in disguise. My daughter has to see her ob/gyn again on November 1, but it looks like she will be getting a hysterectomy at the young age of 27. Not good news in itself, but she has always had "female" troubles and been plagued by cysts. Her recent sonogram showed multiple cysts and a fibroid tumor. A hysterectomy will mean an end to her problems.

And all of you, of course! I'm thankful always for the blessings your comments and friendships add to my days. I'll be around to catch up and visit your blogs later today.

7 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your daughter but I had a hysterectomy because o fibroids and can tell you how great life became when I was done with that. I wish her a safe surgery and recuperation. Your friend is blessed to have you and your circle of friends. Funerals do tend to bring out the worst in some people. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy, how special that your friend led her father to the Lord. So nice that your could be there with there too. Good news on your own doctor visit. I will keep your family in prayer. over the upcoming surgeries. I bet you are doing to be busy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you cant let Thankful Thursday go... I miss it & am anxious to get back to it myself...
    Glad your daughter is going to find some relief!
    & you all survived that funeral. SO hard. But a beautiful story... & I'm with you - you never know how those seeds are planted & who will come behind you to water them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really moved at your friend's testimony, when her father came to know Jesus and spoke clearly. Regardless of her family circumstances, that's a precious memory no-one can take away. You ladies certainly define what it means to be a friend.
    'Keeping both your daughter and hubby in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO much going on in your world.....I'm glad you could be there for your friend.
    There is always so much to be grateful for.....Prayers for your husband tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying all goes well with your hubby's procedure and with your daughter too.

    It's so sad to attend a funeral when there is no hope. But I'm so glad your friend's father made his commitment to Christ. What a wonderful testimony. Hope the seeds planted will take root in someone.

    Have a blessed weekend friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you and other friends were there for your friend at the funeral/passing of her father. I am sorry her family was not more supportive, but if they don't know the Lord, that explains it. Praying the seeds that were planted will grow and blossom in them. IN the meantime, I am glad your friend has such good friends. Praying also for your daughter as she goes through this surgery. She is very young for this, but if she is having that much trouble then she needs to get it over with. I had mine at 50, for very similar reasons. Wish I hadn't waited so long. Those last few years were miserable. She will feel so much better when that is over. Praying for your Tim today. I hope all is going well. You've had a busy week, indeed. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes