November 17, 2020

Fun Times with Tuesday 4

Good morning from a cold, rainy, and sometimes snowy Pennsylvania! Today I'm joining in with Annie and the gang for the Tuesday  4, a weekly meme started by Toni Taddeo and continued on in her memory.

1. Did you as a child or do you now like amusement parks, going out to places of entertainment? (theaters, themed parks, etc.)  Yes, I did and I do. I've been lucky enough to live near an amusement park at every point of my life...and for a couple of years when I was first married, the amusement park was Disney World! I also have or do enjoy theater, arcades, etc.

2. Which rides/parks did you enjoy the most or what snack foods to you enjoy when you are out and about?  My absolute favorite rides were the so-called dark rides. They are the ones you rode through in the dark and things popped up or out, though some were just pleasant to look at rather than scary. I was also a big fan of fun houses. 

There were two specific rides that I loved and both were at Conneaut Lake Park in northwestern PA. The first was Hell's Hole. For that one you walked into a round chamber that was open at the top. You stood against the wall and it spun so fast that you'd stick to the wall...and then the floor would drop out from under you! 

The second ride was call The Ultimate Ride. It was a Mad Scrambler ride that was put inside a building. The space was painted black...walls, floor and ceiling. Mirrors were placed all over and there was neon colored black light graffiti all over. The ride was painted in neon colors, too. The lights would go out and then black lights, strobe lights, and all kinds of disco lights would start up as the ride began to move. They blasted rock music the whole time. It really was the ultimate ride!

3. When you were a kid, what activities /games/places brought you the most enjoyment?  Anything really. I was a happy kid, but an only child so anything that entertained me and involved other kids was a big hit.

4. Would you share with us a fun time or great trip that you've experienced?  Oh goodness, how do I choose one? There have been so many. I guess I could mention the first time I went to Florida. It was for our honeymoon. I was just barely 20, so barely more than a kid and I'd never been anywhere farther south than WV before that. It was all a grand adventure. 

I was so excited to see my first palm tree and everything seemed so exotic and exciting. Disney World and Epcot were still fairly new then and they did a lot more than they do now to truly give the place a magical feel. We went there several days on that trip and that first morning we were right there against the rope, waiting for them to open Main Street. I doubt there's ever been a kid more excited than I was. I still like Disney, but it's never matched that first time.


Thanks, Annie, for the questions. This was a fun trip down memory lane. And a nice diversion as we sit here and wait. Our daughter was tested for Covid yesterday. Her husband got tested this morning. Now we wait for 3-5 days for the results. Her husband is off work until both of them get a negative result or are over it. My mom and stepdad have gone back into seclusion because he has some fairly serious heart problems. They will not be having Thanksgiving with us even if the kids are negative. If they are positive, none of us will be having Thanksgiving together, which while not mandated, is being "suggested" by our Governor anyway. If they are okay, we will have dinner with them because they live next door and we see them all the time. I'm the grands' main caregiver after their mother. We haven't seen them since Friday at this point and it feels like it's been forever!

11 comments:

  1. I loved the same kind of rides you did! Sending prayers for your daughter and husband. Sure hope the tests come back negative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everyone is negative and things turn out fine for Thanksgiving. Thanks for joining in and I am glad you had a good time with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for negative results!
    I found out today that Lillian can have visitors if I schedul a visit online and take a Covid rest once I am there. It's the painful one up your nose but I guess they get an immediate result. I am excired and scared at the same time. The lady I talked to on the phone today said she takes one every Monday and Thursday and that it is painful. Oh, my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! It would not be fun to get tested twice a week. My daughter got the same type of test, but it isn't the rapid result kind. I guess we do what we have to do see our loved ones and friends. At least they are allowing visitors now. It breaks my heart to think of all those who died alone in the early months of this mess.

      Delete
  4. Lifting prayers for negative test results! Too, for your mother's peace of mind. Waiting is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever been to Kennywood? When I was kid, that was our go-to amusement park. I loved the roller coasters, especially the Jackrabbit and the Thunderbolt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been to Kennywood many times. Both it and Idlewild in Ligonier are owned by the same corporation these days. They do a pretty good job of keeping the hometown feel, but it's not the same and it is soooo expensive these days. Idlewild's tickets were over $30 per person for a day and they are only open from like 11-7 or 8 these days since they are geared more for families with young kids. I don't know how much Kennywood is, but it's more. They just announced they are removing two of the older rides to make way for new ones. My favorite is still the Noah's Ark funhouse.

      Delete
  6. Hoping for negative test results! I enjoyed hearing about your amusement park experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There must be something wrong with me 'cause I've never been one for amusement parks. I like nature and natural sceneries. Always have. My favorite trips or vacations have always revolved around being outside.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ultimate ride sounds fun. When I was in high school, we would go to a record store. They made the back room a black room that had the strobe lights and the neon paint. Your description took me back to that time! :) I was 2 days short of 19 when I got married. Gosh we were so young! Someday you will want to go with your grands and see Disney through there eyes. I pray your kids will get a negative result. If they do then you might have to get tested too. My son got it and lost 5 weeks of work because he was sick. He stay isolated from the rest of the family for 3 weeks. Praying next year we will be back to normal. Enjoy your fall weather. It was 93 here yesterday and the 85 today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your family is negative for covid and you get to have the holiday together.
    I absolutely love Disneyworld. We went there for our anniversary too. Loved your answers! Have a nice week.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes