January 30, 2021

Saturday 9: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

Saturday 9: Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (1973)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.


1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own?  I woke up on my own. I haven't had to use the alarm since last March.

2) This single was produced by Bette's arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?  I Write the Songs or Copacabana

3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler's favorite actresses were. Who are yours?  Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, and Meryl Streep

4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was "the one" that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly?  It happened quickly with my husband. We were engaged within a month of our first date and married within 6 months...and here we are 36 years later.

5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker ...?  I warmed up some leftovers in the microwave for lunch.
 
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, "Compromise is hardest of all." On what have you compromised recently?  What to watch on television.

7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb?  Yes. I think I inherited it from my grandmother. She had over 100 plants in the house and then there were her flower gardens. My dad may have had something to do with it, too. He had a huge garden every year and working in it was mandatory.

8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He's best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan?  Yes, we always watched it. I don't really like to watch it in reruns, though.

9) Random question -- How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never?  It depends on the kind of soup. In chicken noodle...always. Others...sometimes. I always put them in chili, too, but does chili count as soup?

Thanks to Sam for the music and questions.

Join the fun here.

12 comments:

  1. Yep, chili counts, lol. I hope you have a beautiful day, friend...5* and snowing here, still. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish so badly I had a green thumb. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your answer to #7 because I think I picked up my way with plants and critters from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not get the genes my mom had. We had plants EVERYwhere in the house growing up. Mine all die. I've quit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy: I don't know if chili counts as a soup, but that's the only thing I put crackers in.
    Oh, I forgot about Sandra Bullock in #3, I loved her in Blindside.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the worst plant killer. Every plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, chili counts as soup!! I put fritos in mine, so good. After 58 years of marriage, Mr D and I have learned to compromise quite well. Hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chili counts as a soup in our house. I do crackers too in most soups. Fun questions again this week. Wishing you a good weekend, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chili counts, but I put tortilla chips or fritos in mine, with shredded cheese. I put Ritz or Saltines (if I have them) in Tomato soup and Chicken noodle. Most other soups are too creamy or have too much stuff in them to need crackers, but then again it just depends on my mood. Oh, oyster crackers in seafood "chowdah" as they call it in Maine. Yum. Now I want some. I liked Bette Midler's singing, but not her politics. My sister has the green thumb in our family. I grow wildflowers or weed flowers pretty well, as long as God takes care of them for me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still trying to find house plants other than spider plants and hoya that will survive my black thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to put crushed crackers in my chili, too.
    We both have a green thumb that we inherited. That’s sweet when we get a green thumb. I married someone from a long line of brown thumbs, but the girls all inherited a green thumb from me.
    Reese Witherspoon has really become a fine actor, hasn’t she. We both liked Sandra Bullock. She can really be a crack up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes