July 31, 2021

Saturday 9: Dead Skunk

Oh, ha-ha! I loved this song when it came out. I was 7 years old and can remember singing along with it on the radio. It just tickled my funny bone to no end at that age. 

Thanks to Sam at the Saturday 9 for the music, the questions, and the fun memories!

Saturday 9: Dead Skunk (1972)


Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a poor dead skunk that stinks "to high heaven." Have you ever experienced the spray from a skunk?  I haven't personally been sprayed, but I've always lived in rural (or suburban) areas where skunks are common so the aroma is quite familiar. We see them in the yard now and then and a couple of years ago we had babies living under Tim's workshop. The dogs have been sprayed (forget tomato juice to get rid of that...a combo of peroxide/dish soap/baking soda is the absolute best thing), we wake up to the smell in the night during warm weather when the windows are open, and a dead skunk in the road is pretty much normal. 

By the way, did you know that there are people who LIKE the smell? I worked with a woman who wished they bottled it as perfume so she could smell it all the time.

2) Dennis Oliver, a disc jockey in Quincy, IL, played this song every night at 9:00 PM for decades. The only thing that got him to stop was being moved to the morning slot. What song do you never tire of?
  Piano Man, It's a Great Day to Be Alive, Walking on Sunshine, Should've Been a Cowboy...

3) At Georgia Tech's Russ Chandler Stadium, the fans sing this during the 7th inning stretch of their baseball games. Do you know the lyrics of the more conventional 7th inning choice, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame?"  Mostly. I think. I might mess up a couple of words. It was a popular singalong choice when I worked at the nursing home.

4) This week's featured artist, Loudon Wainwright III, can play many instruments, but is said to enjoy banjo and ukulele best. If you could magically become proficient on any instrument right now, which would you choose, and why?  Guitar. Sound-wise it's my favorite instrument to listen to and it's totally portable so you can take your music with you. 

5) He appeared as Capt. Spalding on several episodes of M*A*S*H in the 1970s. If you could transport yourself into the world of your favorite TV show, which would you choose?  Since the only thing I've been watching lately is reruns of Fantasy Island, I guess I would choose that at the moment. A tropical paradise is always a good destination and Mr. Roarke as my host would be cool...and Tattoo would be a great buddy!

6) Loudon's mother was a yoga instructor. What did you most recently do for exercise?  I take walks at local parks with some of my clients.

7) He went to St. Andrew's School in Delaware, where the movie Dead Poet's Society, starring Robin Williams, was filmed. When you think of Robin Williams, do you recall his dramatic movie roles, his funny movies, his comedy routines, or Mork from Ork?  All of the above! He was so very funny, but even in comedic roles he had that tender side that resulted in some very touching scenes.

8) In 1973, when this song was popular, Norman Mailer created a great deal of buzz with his book about Marilyn Monroe. Do you read many biographies and memoirs? Or do you prefer to read fiction?  I prefer fiction, but I do have a whole shelf of biographies waiting to be read. 

9) Random question: You're on the road, traveling through a town you've never been in before, and ready to stop for a quick bite. On one side of the street is a cute little diner called Mom's. On the other side is McDonald's. Which do you choose?  Mom's. I loathe McDonald's food (which is food in name only). Except for the milkshakes. The fries aren't even good these days. However, when on the road, McDonald's makes a great restroom stop.

11 comments:

  1. Now I have "Walking on Sunshine" going through my head. And don't it feel good? YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 You are right about tomato juice... it doesn't work.
    #4 I also picked a guitar for the same reason, somehow I can't picture a tuba player at a party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun answers. I don't read many biographies either, but I do have some on my to read shelf. I also love Piano Man and just about anything Billy Joel did. Charly and I saw him in concert when we were dating. He is one of my faves. Hope you have a good weekend and get some time to relax. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun topics today! (I got hung up, over-thinking ... so decided to sit this one out.) Thanks for the skunk remedy tip! I pray our girls never fall victim but I need to be ready to treat in between vomiting my guts out. (lol)
    Love what you said about McDonald's 'food in name only!'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Walking on Sunshine...one of the best "feel-good" songs EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about McDonalds--sometimes a shake is what hits the spot. But their fries are gross.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, peroxide , dish soap and baking soda is what we use if we have to. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun answers. And I so agree on the McDonald's or any other "fast" food joint. We've quit eating in places like that. My husband is such a fine cook, that we hardly eat out anyway. I much prefer eating at home.
    You know who has a lot of skunks? Southern Texas. We were vacationing there one year, down near Brownsville, and there were dead ones all over the roads and roadsides. Seems that it was mating season. I'll never forget that.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like McDonald's, either. Walking on Sunshine is a great song. I know Piano Man is your favorite song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. did you know marijuana smells like skunk? (don't ask--sigh...ok...we have someone in the 'hood who smokes it, nasty, nasty.) ANYWAYS, thanks for the smiles...I agree, McDonalds has changed, sigh...the sign of the times, I guess, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've actually smelled it many times. Sometimes it smells skunky, but I don't think it always does. I don't think it's as nasty as skunk...not a good smell, but not sickening.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes