July 22, 2021

Thankful Thursday

Good grief! It's me, late again. Today I was out the door early to ride along with my sister-in-law who drives a van for the same social services agency I work for. She will be on vacation July 30-August 6 so I will be covering her route. Today she was teaching me where everyone lives and where all the different schools and workshops are.

Anyway...I'm linking up with Rebecca Jo and our two new co-hosts, Leslie and Jennifer for Thankful Thursday.

This week I am thankful... 

* for Leslie and Jennifer who have stepped up to help Rebecca Jo out with Thankful Thursdays. Thank you ladies!

* I was able to get in to see my dentist today between the morning and afternoon van runs. I had lost a crown (the one he'd just put on in April) Tuesday evening and still had one of the rods sticking out of the tooth underneath. Fortunately, I was able to save the crown and he cleaned everything up, added an extra rod, and popped it back on in about 15 minutes! The only bad news is that there isn't much tooth underneath, so if it comes off again he won't be able to put it back on. He suggests I start getting implants. 

I don't think my insurance will cover it, but may see if they will pay at least a little of it....because as he said, it's my mouth and worth the investment. And he is probably the last dentist on the planet that will let you make payment arrangements and choose how much you can afford to pay each month.

* for my first success with my newest client. I am more than a companion to him. We have actual goals to work toward. He is 26 and lives on his own, but has a ton of support and his family is around all the time. They want him to be able to live independently. One of our goals is to learn to do some cooking, eat healthier, make better choices, and learn about portion control. 

He likes to buy a big bag of chips and eat it. Yesterday I took him shopping at Walmart for a microwave popcorn popper since he's comfortable with the microwave. We got some popcorn, some spray butter, and I let him choose his own flavored seasoning. I walked him through making his first batch when we got home and he loved it! Yay! Big win. Low calorie, low fat, high fiber, and he can eat a fairly good sized portion without guilt. I think his family will be pleased.

* the rain has finally stopped for the time being!

* the wonderful bosses I have at work. After my previous boss, I am just so appreciative of these ladies every time I have any interaction with them. Good bosses make such a huge difference it the atmosphere of a place.

* it looks like nice weather for Saturday and Leah's 2nd birthday party. It won't be the blowout that last year's party was, but she is going to be so much fun this year...really into it. It will be a Trolls party. She loves Poppi and all things pink, purple, and glittery!

Well, there is a lot more to be thankful for, but I have to run to see another client for a couple of hours. See you all soon!

15 comments:

  1. Congrats on the popcorn win! Yay! Yes, a good boss can make all the difference. Can't believe Leah is two already! Seems like she was just born yesterday! A Troll party sounds like fun and I look forward to pictures!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, oh! I'm going to have to remember to take pictures. I don't take many these days after years of being the main family photographer.

      Delete
  2. Yay on the 'Home Economics 101' score! I, too, can't believe Leah's going to be 2 already ... her watermelon party seems like it just happened last month. Oh, that FB picture Megan tagged you in? They're soooo stinkin' cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time has gone so fast! Yeah, that's a cute picture. Did you happen to catch the less than flattering one of Leah and I watching a movie today? LOL

      Delete
  3. Popcorn sounds good to me too!! I haven't made any in ages. Now I want some. Glad you were able to accomplish that today. That sounds like a great plan. Hope the birthday party comes off without a hitch on Saturday. 2 years old! What a fun time!! Glad the dentist was able to put your crown back on. Praying it will stay this time!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love popcorn and make it fairly often, but this latest crown adventure has me a bit worried about eating any. The dentist advised against grinding my teeth and biting bullets! LOL

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, there was a typo in my first comment so I deleted and will try again. Sounds like you had a really nice week. So glad you like your new job. A good boss makes all the difference. You are making a difference in this job - especially for that young man who is your new client. Happy Birthday to your sweet Leah! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being so encouraging, Deb. I really do enjoy my job and working with those with developmental disabilities is just as fulfilling as working with the dementia residents. If anyone had asked me a few years ago I would have sworn I was NOT the person to work with either group, but it seems I am. I guess you never know until you're called on to do something just what you can do.

      Delete
  6. Oh man.... I had a tooth that got so widdled down & my crown kept popping off... it eventually had to be pulled & its just dead space now. I know implants are ALL THE RAGE right now... but man, the price!!!! WHEW.... & side note. I have a friend who got all his teeth pulled - got implants (THE MONEY!!!!) & its been about 15 years.... he has to redo them ALL - because did you know, the gums eventually reject the implants & they have to be redone. They dont tell you that... but my friend found out the REAL hard way :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Thanks for that info. I'm going to have to do a lot of research before I decide. My dentist is the premiere dentist for implants in the area and he really pushes them over every other type of replacement. I don't actually know how much they are. I guess I will have to ask. I hate even thinking about it.

      Delete
  7. Glad he was able to fix the crown. I hope it lasts. So cool that you and your client are doing so well and I'm glad you love your bosses and your job. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad the crown was fixed...the dentist here (we will have to find another one) is mandating covid vaccines...whatever...anyways...keeping you in prayer with your job. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much love our dentist. He isn't the most personable guy in the world, but he is VERY conservative. He was pro Trump. He's anti Biden. He didn't and doesn't require masks and stayed open through most of the pandemic. He also dresses up and does history presentations as George Washington. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes