August 6, 2021

Saturday 9: The Curly Shuffle

Saturday 9: The Curly Shuffle (1983)

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

Oh my, I loved this song! It was one of those silly songs that for some reason seem to take hold and become wildly popular for no apparent reason. The Curly Shuffle was still popular when my husband and I got married in 1984 and the band at our wedding reception played it. There is one photo in our album that I know was taken during the song. It's of me dancing with my best friend's date...who went on to become her husband. We lost him two years ago in a most tragic way, so it is nice to have that silly, happy moment captured.

Anyway, on to the questions!

1) This song is a valentine to The Three Stooges. Are you a fan?  I'm not a super fan, but I do enjoy them if they happen to be on. My grandfather was a HUGE fan and actually looked a good bit like Moe. He was a total character, too.

2) It was released to coincide with the Three Stooges getting a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. That's the Hollywood in California. There are 23 other Hollywoods in the United States and two in Ireland. Have you ever visited any of these 26 Hollywoods? If so, which one?
  I don't think I've ever been in any of them.

3) The inspiration for this song was Jerome Horowitz, aka Curly Howard of The Three Stooges. He had many signature phrases, including "nyuk, nyuk, nyuk," "woob, woob, woob," and "sointenly." Give us a movie quote, and be sure to tell us who said it.
  I recently rewatched Secondhand Lions so I think I'll share this one from Hub McCann:

I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!

4) Curly's older brother, Moses Horowitz, was better known as Moe Howard. Moe was convinced that Lou Costello of Abbott & Costello developed his screen persona by stealing from Curly. It turns out he was right! Lou Costello was previewing early prints of Three Stooges films before they were released to the public. Tell us about a time your gut instinct told you something that turned out to be true.  Sadly, the first several things that come to mind concern times when I was sure either or son's or his wife's tirades on Facebook were aimed at us when everyone else said it wasn't so. Or when I was sure from very early on that she did not want us in their lives and wanted to separate us from our son.

5) The third Stooge, Larry, was Louis Feinberg. Though he became famous as a movie comic, he was also a talented musician. When he was 11, he received an invitation to study violin at a European conservatory, but because of WWI he was unable to go. Tell us about plans of yours that were interrupted because of circumstances beyond your control (weather, the pandemic, etc.).  When I was 5 my dad bought a pop-up camper and we spent weeks planning our first trip. It never happened because I got the mumps. I don't know what happened after that because we never planned or took another camping trip. In fact, Dad sold the camper when we moved two years later.

6) As a teen, Larry took up boxing and won several bouts. His father disapproved of the sport and put an end to his boxing career. Did you participate in sports during your teen years?  I was on the girls' basketball and softball teams in high school. Outside of that, you could always find me and my friends playing some sport or another. 
 
7) Today the Three Stooges Fan Club has more than 2,000 members and publishes a quarterly newsletter filled with rare photos, interviews, trivia and a marketplace where fans can buy and sell Stooge memorabilia. Have you ever belonged to a fan club?  I belonged to the Osmond Brothers Fan Club for a while in the 70's...though I was all about Donny, not the whole family.

8) In 1983, Princess Diana was the world's top cover girl. Her influence was credited for reviving Britain's fashion and tourist industries. When you think of Britain, what's the first thing that comes to mind?  The royal family, I guess. I honestly don't think about it very much and don't have the infatuation with all things British that everyone else seems to have.

9) Random question -- Your best friend needs help hanging a picture. Would you be comfortable holding the nail so your friend could swing the hammer?  Are you nuts?! Half the time I'm not even comfortable holding a nail for myself!


Thanks, as always, to Crazy Sam @ Saturday 9 for the music and questions!

23 comments:

  1. I have happy memories attached to this song, too! Glad you enjoyed it.

    I imagine little you must have felt bad about the mumps and cancelled camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember being pretty heartbroken at the time.

      Delete
  2. #9 I don't know how many times that my father would get frustrated watching me trying to hammer a nail straight in. He could do it on two swings of a hammer, one blow to set the nail and the second drove it home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how my husband is, too. He taught me the secret...hold on to the very end of the hammer, don't choke up on the handle as most want to do, that way the weight of the hammer does the work. And buy a heavy hammer. He has one with a 32 oz. head that he has replaced the handle on more than once over the years because he's never found another one as heavy.

      Delete
  3. The original Three Stooges are so much fun to watch. To me, they're classics. Almost like British humor only more slapstick.
    The #5 question brought back a memory I had forgotten. When my Mom died in 1966 (I was 10) Dad bought a Mercedes Benz. He said we were going to "travel America" in it. Never happened. Life spiraled out of control after that, which happens so frequently when Christ isn't the center of our lives.
    I enjoyed your answers, like always.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sad story. I'm certainly glad you found Christ and allowed Him to put your life on the right path. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Stacy. Fun post. I wasn't a big Three Stooges fan. I am not sure I have ever heard the song. Probably have, but it didn't stick with me. Interrupted plans - our trip to Washington D.C. planned for this summer was rescheduled because so many of the museums were still closed due to Covid. I think that visiting D.C. in the spring during cherry blossom time will be nicer anyway. I totally hear you on answer #4. Our oldest daughter's husband did not want us in our daughter's life either, but I never imagined that someone would act that way....boy was I wrong. I have two dear friend who are British, and I love them both so that is what comes to mind for me when I think of England. Also, much of my ancestry is British - like a lot - but many of them came to America very early on, including one whose brother was actually on the Mayflower (yep, documented). Hope you have a good weekend. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washington will be so pretty in the spring! I rather liked it in the fall, too, in case something happens with going in the spring. Yes, it's pretty much impossible to imagine anyone acting that way when you've never run into anything like it before. I didn't, and still don't, understand that kind of hate without reason. There have to be some very deep, cross-generational wounds in play, I guess, but even so...I've never experienced enough pain to push me to hate. Anger, yes, but never hate. Now we have yet another thing in common. My 11 or 12 times great-grandparents were John and Priscilla Alden who arrived on the Mayflower!

      Delete
  5. I loved that movie! On to a rewatch...thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grinning...thank you Stacy...hope you have a beautiful day, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I don't know what for, but your welcome! :)

      Delete
  7. I've never seen Secondhand Lions, but that quote makes me want to look for it. I'm sorry your son/DIL are bitter and estranged. Tom's DIL and her family tried much the same thing; our holiday invitations felt little more than obligatory. I'm sure she was delighted when we moved to Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you have got to see it! With your sense of humor you will LOVE it! I'm sorry about things with Tom's DIL. You have to wonder where we went wrong with this generation. It seems that nearly every day I learn of another friend or just meet someone new who is going through the same thing. Why does this particular generation seem to view parents and extended family as disposable?

      Delete
  8. I loved your memory about the Curly Shuffle. I am glad you captured that moment from your wedding too. How sad.
    I LOVE Secondhand Lions. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. I am glad we have that photo, too.

      Delete
  9. I've never watched that movie. I'm going to have to fix that!
    http://inmywords.kimdeister.com/2021/08/07/saturday-9-the-curly-shuffle/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had never heard this song. I guess because I was getting married in 1983 and too busy? I don't know. Maybe it never was a big hit here in the boonies. And next time I plan a trip to the beach, I'll be sure to send up beacons so everyone knows a hurricane will be arriving soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thank you, in advance, for the warning!

      Delete
  11. That is a fun wedding memory and nice, as you said, to have since your friend has passed now. I'm glad to find someone else who appreciates the Stooges! I'm not a huge fan either, but do get lots of giggles when I catch one of the movies. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes