September 10, 2021

Keeping a Promise to Never Forget

September 11, 2001...the day the world as we knew it changed forever. The day 2,996 people got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, kissed spouses and children goodbye, and headed out the door. None of them knew what the next hours would hold. None of them knew it was their last day on earth. For some, the end came instantly without warning. Others must have endured pure terror in their final moments. Still others made the decision to act heroically and did all they could to try to save the lives of others. It was the day the rest of us learned that evil could come to our own country. 

Back in 2006 to commemorate the 5th anniversary of 9-11, the blogger D.C. Roe organized an online project involving 3000 bloggers, of which I was honored to be a part of. The idea of the project was to step away from all the sad memories and instead give a face to each person that died. Each blogger was assigned the name of one of the lost and told to honor the life, not remember the death.

I was given the name of Jon Richard Grabowski. It was difficult to find any information other than obituaries and accounts of that horrible day, but eventually I found comments and memories left on other sites by people who knew him and a picture began to form. 

On September 11, 2001 Jon was a 33 year old, who by all appearances, had the world by the tail. He was promoted to a vice president of information technology just the week before the attacks. He was married to the love of his life who said he was her soul mate and the one who could always make sense of the world for her. His coworkers and friends remembered him as warm, friendly, and a bit mischievous. He wasn't yet a father, but he was a husband, a son, a brother and had his whole life ahead of him.

As I did research and stared at the photo of the handsome young man with the soulful eyes, he became real and I cared about him personally. He was no longer just another tragic statistic. I made a promise in my post back in 2006 that I would never forget Jon and that I would always honor his memory. That is why every single year since then I have shared his name, his photo, and the little I know of his story on either my blog or on Facebook, sometimes both.

So, this is Jon. Look into his eyes. Remember his name and his story. Remember there are 2,995 more faces who left us too soon.


Jon Richard Grabowski, 1967-2001

Today, when I look around at this country it sometimes feel like the terrorists are winning. We are deeply divided on nearly all points. We are fighting with each other. Every day the news (and social media) is filled with hate and violence. The face of this nation and the world has changed drastically over the last 20 years.

Do you remember how it felt on September 12? When we were all united as Americans? 

I want to ask you to do something today. Just for this one day can you put aside your differences? Can you look at that "Trumper" or that "damned liberal" and try to see the human being behind the label? Can you stop screaming that one life or another matters more than another? Can you stop hating someone because they choose not to get vaccinated or because they did get vaccinated and wear a mask? Can you for just one single day honor those who gave all that day by treating ALL lives as important...the black lives, the white lives, the law enforcement lives, the Christian lives, the Muslim lives, the unborn lives...even the Democrat and Republican lives? 

Ask yourself if you'd want Jesus to hear what's coming out of your mouth or see what you're doing. We don't have to love everything about everyone or support and believe in the same things they do, but Jesus told us to LOVE them...even our enemies. He said if we don't we are no different from anyone else. We are all created in God's image and not one of us is any more important or valuable than any other. When you look at someone try to see the echo of God in them. 

Life matters. It is a gift and we are not guaranteed one second after this one. So cherish it. It can be taken away in the blink of an eye.

And remember.

Jon, I hope you are dancing with the angels.






10 comments:

  1. I was teaching English and Latin…it is memorable standing there where it happened…I have been several times…that was political…over 600,000 people have died of Covid in this country…they all got up one day not knowing…this is not political…now that we have a vaccine this could be better…others are frightening people into refusing to help themselves and others…I love what you have written about remembering…what will the world say about us in 20 years about the selfishness of others not willing to keep people safe?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The former president was. Democrat turned Republican…I love my friends in both parties and this year changed my affiliation to No party…amazing how his followers don’t like Dems…you have written such a lovely piece today…I hope you journal at home and hope you take college classes…you are amazing…jobs for good college graduates are plentiful…my grand graduated in May and had her choice of many…of course those who are not nice on social media forget the chances…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post Stacy! I have been busy and not blogged since Tuesday. I was looking at the Sat 9 questions and thinking, what about 911. So I will work on something. I still have the page I did as many of my country graphic friends did. I will link it when I do my post. I am starting a new study on October 1 called Fallen and the state of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That brought tears to my eyes. Well said Stacy.
    God bless. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful, Stacy. Say their names!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written and well said. Thank you for a heart felt meaningful post. I wish we could all return to 9-12, when everyone was standing together as one in this One Nation Under God, Indivisible. We've forgotten that in the years since. It's so very sad what our nation has become. Praying for our nation to repent and turn from their wicked ways and turn back to God and honor once again. Praying for Jon and many others like him. My husband's cousin William R. Steiner was lost that day as well. He left behind a wife and children and his parents and extended family. His loss was devastating to all who knew and loved him. His father never really got over it and died of a broken heart not too long after. Yes, it was a day that we will never forget. But we need to stand strong together, or we will have even worse days yet to come. We need to truly repent and pray as a nation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you for remembering Jon. I will also remember him, now, as well as all who lost their lives that horrible day. Thank you, Stacy, for sharing this story. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes