September 4, 2021

Saturday 9: A Hard Day's Night

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT (1964)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) John Lennon sings that he's been working like a dog. What's the hardest job you've ever had? What made it so difficult?  Physically, it was the summer I worked in the Poconos for the Youth Conservation Corps. It was hard, manual labor but I loved every minute of it...except the snakes and the bears. 

Mentally, it was either my last one due to my less than wonderful boss or my first babysitting job. That was for my dad's boss so I was afraid to say no or speak up when they only paid me $5 to watch their two kids until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning...and gave me the exact same amount for watching them on New Year's Eve and told their friends they could leave their THREE kids, too. In addition to that the man was a perv. I got the weirdest vibes from him. I found out a few years later when Tim and I got engaged and we both worked at the same factory that he was a swinger...because he asked Tim if we'd want to swing. EWWWWWWWW! That still makes me feel like taking a bath in pure bleach.

2) Despite the hard work, he likes his life and asks, "So why on earth should I moan?" What's the last thing you complained about? Who were you talking to?  As much as I love my grandkids, I'm sure it was the fact that our daughter finds a reason nearly every single day for why I just HAVE to keep them. Love her, too, but she's a bit of a hypochondriac, a drama queen, and has ADD. When the going gets tough, she tends to try and run away from it. I'm sure I was talking to my husband.

3) John was raised by his Aunt Mimi. She meant well when she told the teen-aged John, "The guitar's all right, but you'll never make a living out of it." What's the worst advice you've ever received?  Unless you go to college you'll end up cleaning other people's toilets. That was from my adopted dad. It was not the greatest advice for me. I would have been better off if anyone had ever told me about trade schools. Several friends went to those and had good careers. My dad never even mentioned them, nor did my guidance counselor to be fair. They weren't even on my radar at the time.

4) This week's song was cowritten and also sung with Paul McCartney. Paul's father was more supportive of the lads' show business aspirations than Aunt Mimi was, but he still worried that his son wouldn't be able fully support himself as a musician. To please his dad, 17-year-old Paul worked over the Christmas holiday season as the "second man" on a delivery truck. Paul would be the one to hop off the truck and drop off the packages while the driver could keep the motor running and the heat on. Where was the last package you received from? (Extra points if you share what was in it.)  It was from Amazon and it contained a box of my favorite pens.

5) After Christmas was over, Dad insisted Paul get a full-time, year-around job. He ended up at a factory, winding heavy coils to be used in electric motors. He hated the work but enjoyed the lunch hours, eating jam sandwiches and, weather permitting, kicking a soccer ball around the yard with his coworkers. What's for lunch at your house today?  Leftover pizza.

6) In early March 1961, the Beatles accepted a booking to play lunch hour gigs at Liverpool's Cavern Club, and so February 28, after less than two full months, Paul said goodbye to factory work. What's the shortest you ever stayed at a job?  I lasted one week as a telemarketer.

7) Enough about these Brits! Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. How many different employers have you had?  Ten.

8) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore?  Tim says I do. I think he lies.

9) Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you're an educator, let us know how you get the classroom ready for the kids.  As a kid, I remember dreading the all day, marathon back-to-school shopping trips with my mom, my aunt, and my cousin. Mom and Aunt Peg could shop with the best of them and my cousin (who was a boy) and I considered it pure torture. I'm not a teacher, but when I worked as a school bus driver I always decorated the inside of my bus for back-to-school (and all the holidays).

Thanks, Sam, for the music and the questions!

Play along here.

29 comments:

  1. Looks like we are both having left over pizza. So what are your favorite pens? I watch my grandkids because there mom works full time and that doesn't include the 2 hours she drives each day. Sometimes we watch them for other reasons. They are older now so not too hard to watch. We don't watch the younger ones as often. Hubby and I do enjoy quiet days when it is just us and the furbaby. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love these years of the grands being so little...such precious times together, but I am really going to enjoy it when they are not quite so labor intensive. LOL I am worn out after I keep them.

      Delete
  2. Boy, #1 is really disturbing! First of all, how could anyone hold their children so cheaply that they would leave them until all hours with an underpaid teenage girl! They were lucky she was you. Secondly, wanting to sleep with the babysitter (even years later) is both creepy AND unimaginative.

    #3 made me smile. Before my niece (now 28) went to college and got her culinary degree, she felt the same way: without a 4-year education, you're nothing. She graduated cum laude with a degree in culinary arts. She did get a great job, but it's with a company that sells high-end kitchen appliances and she only tangentially uses her degree. When her kid brother was getting ready for college, she insisted with same fervor he should save money/time and go to community college for business and marketing classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unimaginative. I like that. It fits him. He was the type who, in his 40's still thought farts were hilarious and used to take great joy in coming near the women when we were on break at work and "letting it rip." He was just...icky any way you looked at it.

      You know, in thinking of my friends and others I know who went to college...very few of them actually got jobs in the field they were educated in.

      Delete
  3. #3 I am a big supporter of trade schools (I am a little biased... My father was a principal of one)
    #4 We seems to have a lot of Amazon shoppers here on Sat 9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that your dad was the principal. We live across the highway from our area's tech school and man who was the first principal and served for nearly 40 years lives down the street. Ours has really diversified and the kids can learn so much more than was offered when I was in school.

      Delete
  4. Hi Stacy - I did a lot of babysitting when I was a teen - mostly for our next door neighbors, who were a super nice couple who were also also went to the same church we did. I love babysitting their cute kids. We have actually stayed in touch, and though they are now in their 80s, they actually live about 25 miles south of where I do, and we got together for lunch right before Covid was a thing. I think my most recent package from Amazon was a surge protector for my classroom. I have a book I ordered coming next week. Fun post. I hope you have a good long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. That is really nice that you stayed in touch with the couple whose kids you babysat. I saw that man's wife a few times over the years. She was really nice and seemed to want to be friends with me, which I thought was a little weird so didn't really allow it. I was always nice, though. I felt kind of sorry for her.

      Delete
  5. The whole "you have to get a college degree" thing does SO MANY people a disservice. The world needs plumbers and hairdressers too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does and plumbers make some pretty good money these days.

      Delete
  6. The worst advice? My parents -- both government employees -- wanted me to follow their footsteps because "The government will always take care of you." Happy not to have listened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I remember that mentality. That's sure not the case these days.

      Delete
  7. Trade schools are so important. Not everyone is mean5 for college, and you can hav3 a great career in a skilled trade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need a shower after reading #1--ewwww!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The nice ting about going to a school that required uniforms is that there was no "all day" shopping trips for back to school! You knew what you were going to wear every day for 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure. I don't think I viewed it quite that way at the time...but I wasn't thinking of the shopping trips I was getting out of, just the uniforms I was stuck with.

      Delete
  10. I think part of the "go to college" thing was the time we grew up in. Trade schools were never on my radar, either. I was led down the road to college from elementary school on. And while I loved my time at college - and would go back in a heartbeat - my degree did nothing for me, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about the college thing being part of the times. The generation before us had more go to college than any other generation and we probably topped them. That generation seemed to equate college with success. It's certainly not the truth for everyone.

      Delete
  11. Love the song. When I wanted to major in Art at college my Mom said you need something you can get a real job in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it our parents always seem to be against our dreams?

      Delete
  12. I loved the Beatles as they were popular when I was a teen. I was a one of those crying fans watching them on the Ed Sullivan show. LOL. Oh my, your #1 answer. I feel sorry for his children and wife. (if he had one). Creepy. I wish I had been encouraged to do something after H.S. I did go to "Jr. College" for one year, and met my hubby there and the rest is history. But I had no other aspirations. Thankfully God had a good plan for my life anyway. Never would have dreamed I would end up a Preacher's wife! LOL. I did take more courses throughout the years, but not enough for a degree. But I still managed to get decent jobs as needed. A LOT of jobs, because of how often we moved due to hubby's schooling and preaching jobs... but it's all good, and I'm happily retired now. And yes, I do snore. I wake myself up snoring. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing a bit over your comment about never dreaming you'd end up a preacher's wife. I can remember having a discussion once with women at a conference, many of whom were preacher's wives. As I recall, only one said she had always known she was meant to be one. The rest never imagined it and one even said she had prayed for God to bring her anyone BUT a preacher! Once again God shows His sense of humor!

      Delete
  13. OMG, #1 is so creepy. It is fortunate nothing ever happened to you.
    I agree with trade schools. College is not for everyone. We have a technical school as part of our school district, lets kids get a taste of different things. We even have a match with a technical school in the area to help those kids find what they want to do. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a great technical school here, too. We actually live just across the highway from it. It was built when I was in school and those my age were among the first to go there. Back then it was just auto mechanics and building trades, but like you said, it is very diversified now and both boys and girls attend in wide array of fields. I wish it had been like that when I was in school. Many of the courses get the kids certified or licensed by the time they graduate and they can walk right into jobs.

      Delete
  14. #1 ~ My hardest "job" was a temp one in the 1980s with Kelly Services. It was so awful that after only a couple of hours, I phoned in to my boss at Kelly and said they need to send a replacement and I never did that! That assignment still lives in my memory ... ugh. And I know what you mean about creepy! I've met people like that. They are so lost.
    I wish I had gone to trade school. I was kicked out the day after graduation with no warning.
    Loved your answers. You're a fine person with good morals.
    Blessings. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Your first day at that temp job must have been akin to CountryDew's temp job. She also left early on the first day and never went back. I never thought about it back then, but yes, that man was definitely lost and had a rather evil presence. It rattles me ever time I hear you mention what your parents did. I just can't imagine doing that to my kids. Aw...thanks for the kind words. :)

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed your answers, Stacy! Your creepy boss will answer for that some day. Awful! I agree with you about trade schools/vocational schools. Have a blessed Sunday!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose he will. I am just thankful that he wasn't the type to try anything. Enjoy your Sunday and Labor Day, too!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes