November 12, 2021

Saturday 9: Without You

Without You (1972)

Unfamiliar with this week's song. Hear it here.

1) Nilsson sings that he can't forget this evening. Did anything happen this evening (or last night, if you're answering during the day) that you expect you'll recall for a long time?  Nope. It's been blissfully uneventful. Exactly what's been needed after a rough week.

2) In the 1960s, he worked in a very "un-rock-star" job: computer programmer in a bank. Looking over your career, have you more often worked in or out of an office setting?  Out. I've never really worked in an office setting.
 
3) He fibbed to get the job, telling the bank he'd graduated from high school when in reality, he was a drop out. Have you ever fudged a fact on your resume?  No. I always assume my resume will be the one they fact check every detail on.

4) The bank found out the truth but was so pleased with Nilsson's personality and performance they kept him on. Tell us about a friend or loved one's misbehavior that you have overlooked.  No. If I'm overlooking it I'm not going to dredge it up here.

5) Before finding success as a singer, Nilsson was a songwriter. He composed "Cuddly Toy," recorded by the Monkees. Do you have a favorite Monkees song?  I like them all, but this always makes me smile.


  
6) In 1976 Nilsson married Una O'Keeffe. They met in a New York restaurant, where she was a waitress. He asked her about her accent -- she was from Dublin -- and a romance ensued. While the waitress and the rock star seemed like an unlikely couple, they remained together until his death in 1994 and had six children. Do you know how your parents (or grandparents) met?  Not in any real detail.
 
7) Nilsson was a night owl and found he felt most creative late at night, right before he fell asleep. When are you at your best: morning, noon or night?  First thing in the morning and then again later at night.

8) In 1972, the year "Without You" was a hit, Alice Clark Browne made history as the first African American 
aerialist to perform with Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus. Did you ever attend the circus?  Yes, many times. My mom took me to the "big one," Ringling Brothers when I was 5 or 6. That one stands out because it was the only one I went to that was in tents rather than an arena, so it was the only one with a sideshow tent. I remember all of those acts. They made a huge impression on my young mind.
 
9) Random question -- Think about last week. Would you prefer this week to be more exciting, or more boring?  I don't know about more boring, but more normal would be good. If you really want to know why, you can read yesterday's post.

Jasper (AKA Jazzy) is fascinated by all things on the computer screen so he's been "helping" me answer tonight and he says "hello." If you listen carefully you can probably hear him purring where you are. He is a LOUD purr-er.


Thanks as always to Sam for the music and questions. Please visit the Saturday 9
site to play along or find links to other bloggers playing along.

11 comments:

  1. Jazzy's got that "drunk on love" look that cats get.

    I enjoyed that Monkees clip. Their music and show have aged rather well, comparatively. I mean, would you really want to watch The Partridge Family again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasper is so cute in that photo!! I used to like the Monkees so much. I enjoyed the little video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I ever attended a circus in a tent. I think they were in the local coliseums here. I will have to ask my brother if he remembers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only been to very small circuses, and certainly nothing in a tent. That sounds so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw Ringling Brothers at Madison Square Garden. No tent, no sideshow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope that you have increasingly better days, that's a lot to bear at one time.
    Circuses were really something back in the day. The one I went to was also in a Big Top, i.e. tent. I'm not sure what city, as the one near us was tiny back in the 40's.
    In the picture, it looks like Jasper has a little heart on his nose.
    Be sure to take care of YOU, while you take care of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, I do not think I ever enjoyed a circus in a tent...that sounds like so much fun. It was always a big arena I would see them at.
    Jasper is so cute! ♥ Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your kitty Jasper! I think I do hear him purring. He sounds very contented. I enjoyed your answers. I remember the circus as a child, but I couldn't tell you which one it was. I just remember going with I think the Brownies or Girl Scouts or maybe even my school class...I don't know now. It was in Orlando at Tinker Field, I remember that much. Loved the Monkees...don't know this Nilsson guy. Must be after my time of listening. Glad your weekend so far has been more uneventful than last week. Hope the kids are feeling much better. Take care of YOU now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Giggling over Jasper's look on his lovely face, grin. I hope you have a beautiful Sunday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun Meme, I am just getting back into blogging and watching Hallmark movies. Your cat is so cute! Stop by my blog and see my kitten Mia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes