February 18, 2022

Saturday 9: Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy)

Linking up with the Saturday 9 for musical fun.

Saturday 9: Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy) 1972

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) The lyrics tell us that every Sunday afternoon we can find Roy at the racetrack. What are your plans for Sunday?  Tim has started a new tradition of having the grandkids over for Sunday breakfast. He makes pancakes and bacon. After breakfast I go to church and he plays games with them. The afternoon is usually for relaxing or doing the grocery shopping if there isn't anything going on. In the evening I attend my chosen small group from church.
 
2) Roy is fearless behind the wheel of his '57 Chevrolet. But it's just natural to feel fear every now and again. What scares you?  Snakes, sharks, and the thought of being an invalid dependent on someone else to care for me.
  
3) Roy's been photographed grinning with a toothpick in his mouth. Do you often use toothpicks? If so, do you carry them with you?  I use them, but not for picking my teeth. I use them to test baked goods in the oven and to clean out the little holes in Leah's sippy cups.
 
4) Legend has it Roy learned to drive fast when he ran moonshine out of Alabama. Moonshine usually refers to illegally produced whiskey. What was the last alcoholic beverage you drank?  A "Sweetheart Sangria" on Valentine's Day. It had peach vodka, wine, a couple of other types of alcohol that I can't remember,  peaches and strawberries. It was very good and potent.

5) This week's featured artist, Jim Croce, attended Villanova University, where he played in a band that performed at fraternity parties. When his band was chosen to tour Africa as part of a cultural exchange program, he was excited to learn his host countries' customs. Have you ever traveled overseas? What did your trip teach you?  I've never been overseas. The most different culture I've spent time in is that of the Navajo. I learned to be patient there. The Navajo culture is much slower paced than ours.

6) Jim met his future wife, Ingrid, at a party. They discovered that they both loved Joan Baez and Woody Guthrie. Tell us about one of your friends, and what you two bonded over.  My friend, Fran, and I bonded over similar experiences with our children, our husbands, and our churches. I wouldn't say we are each other's best friend these days, but we are still close and we understand each other on a deeper level than any of our other friends do.
 
7) Early in their marriage, while Jim was working hard to launch his music career, Ingrid helped make ends meet by baking bread and canning fruits and vegetables. Do you have any frugal cooking tips or "cheap eats" recipes to share?  Not really.

8) In 1972, Mark Spitz became a sensation, winning seven Gold Medals for swimming. After making money in endorsements and TV appearances, he settled into a career as a realtor in Los Angeles. Are you contemplating a change in residence anytime soon?  No. If I ever move again it will probably be to a nursing home and I hope to never have to do that.

9) Random question: Which of these "top ten" lists would you prefer to be on -- the sexiest, the smartest or the richest?   I would normally choose to be among "the smartest" but with everything costing more every day I think I'll choose "the richest."

14 comments:

  1. It's always fun to read your answers on posts like this. Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tim's Sunday breakfast tradition! Making memories!
    I, too, worry about being trapped in a non-functioning body; maybe I need to start smoking again, or take up sky diving? (jk, sort of.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy, that is nice that Tim does that for the grands. Your friend Fran sounds like a good friend. My daughter in law is part Navajo. When I was a kid, we were on our way to Colorado. I remember at some point my dad stopped off the highway to pick up a small family of Navajo's. We dropped them off at the reservation. That memory just came to me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5 A friend grew up on a Navajo reservation, her parents were Mormon missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It really was. I wish I could remember what all was in it.

      Delete
  6. Since my husband retired, he now cooks bacon and eggs for breakfast on the weekends sometimes. He likes to eat much earlier than I do so there's that, but he's also cooking, which is a much bigger "that" so I eat the breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big breakfast person at all, but like you said, since he's cooking...
      And since I complained the first time, he now also does it early enough for me to eat before I go to church AND he cleans up the mess.

      Delete
  7. You bring up a good point about inflation. Maybe that is why I wish I was on the rich list.
    What a great breakfast tradition. That is something those kids will always remember. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I think your husband's pancakes and sausages might qualify as cheap eats. And I don't the the kid has been born who doesn't like pigs in a blanket.

    Does your husband like Fran's husband? I know it doesn't really matter, I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pancakes are cheap...from a mix, because kids don't like anything but the basics...but the bacon sure isn't cheap these days.

      Actually, my husband tolerates both Fran and her husband for me (we went on the cruise with them in 2019), but he isn't overly fond of either of them while I adore her husband, too. When we first met he was actually sort of a father figure to me.

      Delete
  9. I love that you've spent time in Dine'tah (Navajo land). I've learned a lot about Dine' culture in the 12+ years I've been here. Patience is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went, the mission teams were always based out of the church in Gamerco and then we'd head deep into the rez to camp for the rest of the time. Are you any where near there? I absolutely love it out there. I wanted to go to Easter New Mexico Univ for college and got accepted but my dad rained on that parade. It's just one of those places you feel a spiritual connection to.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. Your comments mean a lot to me and I try to answer them as soon as I can.

Moving Day

Hey everyone, I launched my new blog home today. Nothing fancy...just a little more me, I hope. Come visit me! In My Shoes