I know I'm changing my blogging habits, but I also told you I wasn't ruling out a meme here and there. Saturday 9 is one meme I'm not planning to give up. I always have fun traveling down the musical memory lane. Today's song is no exception. It was one of my favorites for a while back in the day.What's Love Got to Do with It? (1984)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
What's Love Got to Do with It is also the title of Tina Turner's film biography, which tells of Tina's escape from her abusive, controlling husband, Ike. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Spread the word that help is available.
1) The video was shot around New York City in spring. Kids are seen jumping rope. Were you good at jump rope? Has it ever been part of your workout routine as an adult? I don't know that I was good at it, but I remember it being a big thing on the playground when I was in elementary school. I never did double dutch or anything fancy like that. Good grief, no. It's never been part of my adult workout.
2) In real life, Tina Turner played basketball for her school. Were you good at team sports? Yes. I was on both the varsity girls' basketball and softball teams. I played guard in basketball and was a pitcher in softball.
3) In the video, Tina Turner wears a little black dress topped with a denim jacket. That jacket is a fashion staple 36 years later. Do you own a denim jacket? I do. In fact, I wore it today (Friday).
3) This song was first offered to Cliff Richard, a major pop star in England who never enjoyed gained superstar status in the US. Perhaps, if he had recorded "What's Love Got to Do with It?," he would have been better known on this side of the ocean. Tell us about a time when you said "no" when "yes" might have been the better answer. I can't think of a single thing.
4) Tina's first marriage, to Ike Turner, was a painful one. Her second marriage, to German music executive Erwin Bach has been far more supportive. This has been a blessing, since Tina has had serious health problems in recent years. Do you have any medical/dental appointments scheduled? No, not right now.
5) Tina met Erwin at Heathrow Airport in 1986. He was there to help her prepare for her London performances. They immediately liked one another, but didn't become romantically involved until months later and were surprised to find themselves falling in love. Have you ever had a romantic relationship that crept on you? No. I've always known if I was interested or not right from the start.
6) The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards referred to Tina as his "favorite aunt." Is there anyone who isn't a relative of yours by blood but you refer to as aunt, uncle, brother, sister, etc.? When I was growing up, this neighborhood was like a big family. Everyone knew everyone and keeping an eye on the kids was a group effort. Back then we didn't call adults by their first name, but we knew them too well to call them Mr. or Mrs, so they became Aunt or Uncle whomever.
7) Former President George W. Bush is also a big Tina Turner fan, and has praised her for having "the most famous legs in show business." What do you believe is your best physical feature? I don't know...maybe my smile?
9) Random question: On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "very lazy" and 10 being "very productive," what number are you? Eh, maybe a 5 or 6 for the most part...though if it's something I really care about or enjoy I can be very productive.