Saturday 9: Papa, Can You Hear Me? (1984)
This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.
1) The song begins with a prayer to "God, our Heavenly Father." Do you often pray? Yes, I do. Several times a day. Some prayers are only a sentence or two long, so that is possible.
2) This song is from the movie Yentl. Set in the early 1900s, it tells the story of a Polish girl determined to receive a religious education, even though the custom of the day banned girls from studying the Talmud. What subject do you wish you knew more about? History. I love learning about the past and I doubt I will ever think I know enough about it.
3) It took Streisand more than 15 years to get Yentl made. Studios initially rejected the project, telling her that audiences no longer want to see musicals. Then, because it centered on Judaism, she was told it was "too ethnic." But Yentl was a success at the box office, becoming one of the most profitable movies of the year -- and since Barbra was producer, director and star, she enjoyed those profits. Tell us about a time you're glad you stuck with something. There are probably several times, but the first that popped into my mind was learning how to drive a bus and getting my commercial driver's license. It was rather intimidating at first, but I spent 16 years driving school buses. I worked with some great people, met some wonderful families, and had some fun adventures during those years.
4) The movie, and this song, were so popular that they earned a parody on The Simpsons. (See it here.) That video has had more than 250,000 views. Before the Yentl parody, what's the last YouTube video you watched? The one of "Nightbirde" from this year's America's Got Talent.
5) Barbra Streisand's father died suddenly, the result of complications after an epileptic seizure, just after her first birthday. He held degrees in both English Literature and Education and was a school superintendent. Do you know anyone who made a career in education? I know many who did.
6) Sam's own father wasn't an educator, but he is crazy about the local library. He's there so much the librarians greet him by name. Do you have a library card? No. I have to admit I haven't checked out a book in years. Probably not since my kids were still in school.
7) For family barbecues, Sam's dad proudly dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill? I rarely grill anything...that's my hubby's job. He did chicken last weekend.
8) He takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his marinade recipe. Do you have a recipe you're willing to share this morning? Sure. I told you I don't really do the grilling around here, but I do make these ribs once in a while. They are amazing! They are mostly done in the oven, though, and then my hubby finishes them off on the grill. I shared the recipe several years ago with photos. You can view it here.
9) Sam's father hates it when his daughter swears. What's the latest curse word you used? (It's OK, we don't blush easily.) I don't swear very often. I try not to swear at all, but admit that sometimes a smashed toe or finger will elicit a word or two. Usually, the "s" word. I don't use the heavy duty words or any that use God's name.
Thanks as always to Sam @ the Saturday 9 for the music and questions!